Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSE Race Series 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

frogstar wrote: »
    Where are the results? Can't find them

Well done everyone. I was out supporting and it was a great mornings run (to watch!)
    http://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-DUBLINHALF-2015#/tracker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Massive thanks from me to the 1:40 pacers BeepBeep and Killerz who got me in under target for a PB. Thanks so much guys.

Really enjoyed the race but found the congestion for the first 5 miles difficult to deal with. Seemed to be quite a few starters in Wave 1 who should really have been in later waves :rolleyes:.

The support was amazing (although I'm not sure the spectators had much choice in the matter the way our pacers were motivating them to cheer us on ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

Many thanks to the 1:40 pacers( Killerz and beepbeep67). I wanted to start and stay with the 1:40 pacers but due to conjestion I couldn't get near them. Not until we reached the north road did I catch up with them after several surges and some weaving in and out. From there stayed just behind the pacers until around mile 11 on the chapelizod road where I managed to speed up a little knowing if I stayed ahead I could achieve my goal of sub 1:40.
    Well I crossed with a chip time of 1:38:39. Delighted! Last year's half marathon was my first ever race where I finished with 1:49:24. So a PB of almost 11 minutes!
    Thanks to the race organisers, volunteers and support out on the route.
    Oh and a 22 miler lsr tomorrow.

RIP
    On behalf of the SSE Airtricity Dublin Marathon Team, it is with great regret that we must confirm that a 23 year old male passed away at today's Dublin Half Marathon in Phoenix Park.
    We would like to commend the St John's Ambulance medical team and all those who looked after the young man and express our sincere condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.
    We ask that the family's privacy is respected at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Poor fella, feel really bad about it.
    I was a 1:50 pacer and I think I saw him take poorly around the 13 mile mark. He was still on his feet at the time and had a few people helping him so I didn't think it looked too serious at that instant :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

fletch wrote: »
    RIP

I just saw that too, really sad to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

good job by the 2.00 pacers, got me in at 1.59 for a pb

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Very sad to hear. Condolences to his family and friends. :(

menoscemo wrote: »
    I was a 1:50 pacer and I think I saw him take poorly around the 13 mile mark. He was still on his feet at the time and had a few people helping him so I didn't think it looked too serious at that instant :(

You couldn't have possibly known. People struggle in these kind of races all the time, you pass them all the time, and they cross the finish line all the time. You had no chance of knowing that this poor lad was so ill. I know it's very hard to do, but try not to think of what ifs. None of us know the result of the what ifs.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I passed a guy around 7km who was moving very erratically and his breathing was all over the place. But it was so early in the day I didn't want to ask him if he was OK in case he just had a disability. Hope it wasn't him :(

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

That poor chap collapsed as I was heading for the finish line. I saw two finishers try and catch him as he fell. Poor, poor guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Nothing you would have been able to do really anyway. It's terrible. He was so young as well. My wifes friend had an incident similar to this a few years ago, she just collapsed - there was a genetic underlying heart condition that no one knew about - her family got checked out and most of them had it. She was just unlucky.

Thoughts are with the guys family. Very tough time for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

its awful isn't it :( no one could have known what was going to happen especially if he was still on his feet and others were with him at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

And the top / most liked comment on the Facebook page is someone blaming the route for being too harsh. Jesus wept. There's a time and a place ffs.

Awful awful news. Condolences to the family and friends. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Thanks a million to the 1:40 pacers. Dom did a solid run. I stayed with him until 8 miles and kicked on.

RIP to the young man.

Guy on FB about hills is a WUM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    good job by the 2.00 pacers, got me in at 1.59 for a pb

I was running near them for most of the race, they did a good job.

RIP to the runner who died today.

I see in the results a Patrick Monahan being listed as 1st, some 14 minutes ahead of the actual winner?

Edit - Think he was in a wheelchair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Kissy Lips wrote: »
    Thanks a million to the 1:40 pacers. Dom did a solid run. I stayed with him until 8 miles and kicked on.

RIP to the young man.

Guy on FB about hills is a WUM.

Who is Dom on here?

Did they change the route after the last poor chap died on the S bends towards the end of the half in 2013?

Phoole wrote: »
    Did they change the route after the last poor chap died on the S bends towards the end of the half in 2013?

They took military hill out of the half route following his death. I've never run the 10 mile so I'm not sure about that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

And the top / most liked comment on the Facebook page is someone blaming the route for being too harsh. Jesus wept. There's a time and a place ffs.

Awful awful news. Condolences to the family and friends. RIP

It's terribly sad (& sobering) when something like that happens. Poor guy was so young too. Horrible for the organisers too - think this is the third year in a row between the full & the half ??

How did your missus get on pm ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Phoole wrote: »

They changed it to allow easier access for emergency services after that.

kit3 wrote: »
    It's terribly sad (& sobering) when something like that happens. Poor guy was so young too. Horrible for the organisers too - think this is the third year in a row between the full & the half ??
    Don't think anyone died in 2014? Pretty sure I recall 2 deaths in 2013 though.

fletch wrote: »
    Don't think anyone died in 2014? But I do recall 2 deaths in 2013 alright.

Thought there was one in the full in 2014 but that might have been 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Kissy Lips wrote: »
    Who is Dom on here?

beepbeep67

They changed it to allow easier access for emergency services after that.

That makes more sense. I know its still part of the 5 mile though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

kit3 wrote: »

How did your missus get on pm ?

This is kind of linked in a way. She didn't do a great time but she had eased off early on when not feeling too up to it. Her Dad passed from a sudden heart attack and she is petrified of similar happening to her whilst out running. She's been to the docs etc and got checked up properly but it still remains a massive fear for her. So today when she felt it getting tough she backed off electing to enjoy it and treated it as a social run rather than really racing it. Meant it wasn't a PB for her but she finished happy having enjoyed the race.

TBVH I was a bit meh for her at the time. I wouldn't normally understand the mentallity of not pushing in a race (unless it was specifically not being raced for training reasons) was happy she was happy with it but personally wasn't too bothered. Then you see news like today and it does make you think. I won't be easing off myself anytime soon but I can understand how family can be worried and why perhaps others don't want to push too much either. Sobering stuff.

Now I know why my mother worries about me and brother running these races and is always telling us to take it easy.

This is kind of linked in a way. She didn't do a great time but she had eased off early on when not feeling too up to it. Her Dad passed from a sudden heart attack and she is petrified of similar happening to her whilst out running. She's been to the docs etc and got checked up properly but it still remains a massive fear for her. So today when she felt it getting tough she backed off electing to enjoy it and treated it as a social run rather than really racing it. Meant it wasn't a PB for her but she finished happy having enjoyed the race.

TBVH I was a bit meh for her at the time. I wouldn't normally understand the mentallity of not pushing in a race (unless it was specifically not being raced for training reasons) was happy she was happy with it but personally wasn't too bothered. Then you see news like today and it does make you think. I won't be easing off myself anytime soon but I can understand how family can be worried and why perhaps others don't want to push too much either. Sobering stuff.

People run for all reasons & in different ways. I know it's not a popular opinion in some areas but I think there's room for everyone. Can totally understand her reason for backing off. Good that she enjoyed it & came home safely. There's always another day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Condolences to the family of that poor guy, RIP. I got my heart checked a few years ago because of what happened at this race 2 years ago, got the all clear so peace of mind. I would urge everyone involved in any sport to get a check done, you never know what state you're in so don't take chances

Advertisement