Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSE Race Series 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

The results page says that there were over 12,000 people taking part. Is that right? I didn't realise there were so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Was a spectator this year, and great to see such a competitive race at the top end. Watched from main street as Closisey and Kenneally ran shoulder to shoulder from the off. Caught sight of them again at mile 1.3ish where they were still together and running strongly.

Jogged down to the finish line, to hear some of the race commentary, hearing that Kenneally had opened up a 10m lead at mile 4, then Closisey coming back at him with less than a mile to go.

Finally watched as Mick rounded the final corner with a 5m lead and pushed on to take the win in a savage 29:44 for a new course record. That's 4:47pace...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

KJ wrote: »
    The results page says that there were over 12,000 people taking part. Is that right? I didn't realise there were so many.

5174 matches found...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

2895 finishers, according to results page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

eoinín wrote: »
    If you ever enjoyed playing "Where's Wally" you'll doubtless have some fun trying to spot yourself in these photos taken from the footbridge at around 2km.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86489211@N00/albums/72157656075182911/page1

Found myself and my pacer D, looking better than expected for how I felt at the time. Great to meet you.

T shirt great. Not mental orange was going to be an improvement and I don't have a black t shirt.

I struggled at the start yesterday as legs didn't wake up until half way. Once I reached the 5 km point it was much better. The water I couldn't drink but threw it over me and once you get over the shock it really helped me as was roasting. Fire Brigade also a welcome cool-down. I was really hoping the locals when they said the finish is only around the corner weren't lying and it was. Delighted to have stuck with it and we'll call it a course PB anyway :D

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    2895 finishers, according to results page.

Ah, I was looking on the SSE website. I think their results are flawed because they have people finishing in over 7 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Yeah, agreed. The lucozade bottles mid way were a nice idea but realistically people took one sip out of the big bottle and threw it aside. A big waste. Perhaps cups of lucozade and kids bottles of waters?

I also find it very hard to drink from the water cups. Spill loads of it from those cups!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

I swallow too much air when trying to drink from the water cups, so I squashed the cup a bit and poured it into my water bottle. Much better, as long as you don't mind carrying a water bottle. I think it will be cups again for the 10 mile then bottles for the half and full marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Is anyone looking for a small t-shirt?
    I'd like to swap it for a medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

PauloMN wrote: »
    They were moving packs of the drink across from one side of the road to the other (and dropping some) which wasn't really the best thing to be doing in the middle of a 10k race. All seemed a bit disorganised.

one of them dropped a bottle as I was approaching and I could see he was goin to cross in front of me to get it so I shouted from a while away to leave it, it was grand. He decides nope, I'll get it anyway. I then had to serve wildly as he had a crate of 24 bottles in his other had that he nearly hit me with. Idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Anyone else spot the guy "breaking into" the car just after the finish line? He was using a hanger to try jimmy the lock...I presume he was the rightful owner as nobody was challenging him but it would be quite ironic if he wasn't as the place was thronged with thousands of people and Garda and nobody said a thing to him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Racman

fletch wrote: »
    Anyone else spot the guy "breaking into" the car just after the finish line? He was using a hanger to try jimmy the lock...I presume he was the rightful owner as nobody was challenging him but it would be quite ironic if he wasn't as the place was thronged with thousands of people and Garda and nobody said a thing to him :)

It might not always be correct to presume in these circumstances!

Last week:
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/video-brazen-daylight-thief-robs-8k-motorcycle-in-dublin-and-asks-innocent-bystanders-to-help-load-it-into-van-31381554.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I considered not going to this as I played a tag rugby tournament on Saturday and my legs were a bit stiff, but woke up on Sunday and thought I'd give it a go.

I got the car parked at the pavilions at about 9:35, spent the next 5 minutes puttin on my number while chatting to my girlfriend, went to get my runners and realised I left them at home.

I knew one day that going to races in flip flops was going to bite me in the ass.

I had about 15 minutes before the race started. I spent a minute or two swearing and punching various parts of my car. I decided to drive back to the malahide road and try get back to swords for the start of the race.

I made it back to the travel lodge before the race had come up the road, drove slightly further down to the village, abandoned the car for my gf to find somewhere to park, and then sprinted to the start line (with my runners still untied).

I managed to start the race near the back, and spent most of it trying to overtake people, probably annoying quite a few along the way as I tried to meander through.

Saw the young girl on the ground at the 2.5km mark, tried not to look over too much so I don't know how she was, hopefully she's okay.

The roads were very congested once I got off the dual carriage way so I just had to go with the flow and not annoy people by pushing past them (it was my fault for being late, they shouldn't get annoyed because I'm an idiot).

The route was actually quite enjoyable and it's one I will do next year and try push for a PB in it by doing some good training runs beforehand. I actually haven't seen the tshirt, I picked up a small, I assume it will be a bit big on me if its like the fitting for the 5mile race, I don't really mind though, I had to throw out about 10 t shirts yesterday because I never wear them and they were just taking up space.

TL;DR: if you are going to wear flip flops to a race, try not to be an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

cloneslad wrote: »
    I considered not going to this as I played a tag rugby tournament on Saturday and my legs were a bit stiff, but woke up on Sunday and thought I'd give it a go.

I got the car parked at the pavilions at about 9:35, spent the next 5 minutes puttin on my number while chatting to my girlfriend, went to get my runners and realised I left them at home.

I knew one day that going to races in flip flops was going to bite me in the ass.

I had about 15 minutes before the race started. I spent a minute or two swearing and punching various parts of my car. I decided to drive back to the malahide road and try get back to swords for the start of the race.

I made it back to the travel lodge before the race had come up the road, drove slightly further down to the village, abandoned the car for my gf to find somewhere to park, and then sprinted to the start line (with my runners still untied).

I managed to start the race near the back, and spent most of it trying to overtake people, probably annoying quite a few along the way as I tried to meander through.

Saw the young girl on the ground at the 2.5km mark, tried not to look over too much so I don't know how she was, hopefully she's okay.

The roads were very congested once I got off the dual carriage way so I just had to go with the flow and not annoy people by pushing past them (it was my fault for being late, they shouldn't get annoyed because I'm an idiot).

The route was actually quite enjoyable and it's one I will do next year and try push for a PB in it by doing some good training runs beforehand. I actually haven't seen the tshirt, I picked up a small, I assume it will be a bit big on me if its like the fitting for the 5mile race, I don't really mind though, I had to throw out about 10 t shirts yesterday because I never wear them and they were just taking up space.

TL;DR: if you are going to wear flip flops to a race, try not to be an idiot.

Great story cloneslad haha

I thought you were going to say you attempted running it in flip flops :D:D:D

I heard today that young girl who fainted was fine and was well enough to be taken home soon after.

Anymore pictures guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Pink11 wrote: »
    Great story cloneslad haha

I thought you were going to say you attempted running it in flip flops :D:D:D

I heard today that young girl who fainted was fine and was well enough to be taken home soon after.

Anymore pictures guys?

I had considered going 'Jesus style' as one of my friends put it, but I would have spent the entire race apologising to the people I hit with my flip flips when they went flying off my feet.

Good to hear about the girl who fainted, hopefully she's okay in the long term and isn't put off running.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

Fiona44 wrote: »

Excellent pics, love that one of the three leaders literally flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Some great drone footage

That's deadly, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

hi folks, .planning on running the frank duffy this month for first time, any basic tips pointers welcome.

• Advertisement

hi folks, .planning on running the frank duffy this month for first time, any basic tips pointers welcome.

I take it you've some training for this event? Do you know the park and the start line? Arrive in time. It's a great race, they'll have starter waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Yeah, am planning on running entire series from 10 mile through to full marathon, am on training plan, just don't want to make a mess of start the next day. Never used pacers timed pens etc.

Yeah, am planning on running entire series from 10 mile through to full marathon, am on training plan, just don't want to make a mess of start the next day. Never used pacers timed pens etc.

They'll have pacers for the half and full but don't think for the 10 mile. The pens some people ignore and stand where suits. It should be a busy event so ease into the start.

I've just seen this and signed up. I think it will be a bit of fun with some marathon weekend atmosphere.
    http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/breakfast-run/
    I wonder will they have a vegan option for the full Irish breakfast??

I've just seen this and signed up. I think it will be a bit of fun with some marathon weekend atmosphere.
    http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/breakfast-run/
    I wonder will they have a vegan option for the full Irish breakfast??

There was a bit of a debate last year if locals were invited and a few went along in the end and said it was a great morning. I also think it was free last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

aquinn wrote: »
    There was a bit of a debate last year if locals were invited and a few went along in the end and said it was a great morning. I also think it was free last year.

It was free last year, and there was a Viking re-enactment halfway through and 1014 commemoration t shirts. It was fun! Afterwards there were bags with muffins and yoghurts etc (which I ate as I wasn't doing DCM :) - the year before I was terrified to touch any unfamiliar food the morning before the marathon) and Irish dancers. There were loads of US runners there and they'd brought stuff to swop -- t-shirts etc. It's worth bringing some Irish-y stuff to swop with runners from overseas.

HelenAnne wrote:
    It was free last year, and there was a Viking re-enactment halfway through and 1014 commemoration t shirts. It was fun! Afterwards there were bags with muffins and yoghurts etc (which I ate as I wasn't doing DCM - the year before I was terrified to touch any unfamiliar food the morning before the marathon) and Irish dancers. There were loads of US runners there and they'd brought stuff to swop -- t-shirts etc. It's worth bringing some Irish-y stuff to swop with runners from overseas.

I spent the Sunday indoors with feet up minding legs. Jealous then of course how great it was and even more so with a decent tshirt. I had hoped they'd get a cotton one.

After a successful Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon, I just bit the bullet and signed up for the Dublin Marathon. Nervously excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

After a successful Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon, I just bit the bullet and signed up for the Dublin Marathon. Nervously excited.

Good stuff....the DCM is the business, you will have a great day, best of luck with it!!

I am planning to do the Dublin HM on the 19th of September and then the DCM (2nd time) if all goes well with the training......:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

smashiner wrote:
    I am planning to do the Dublin HM on the 19th of September and then the DCM (2nd time) if all goes well with the training......

What's this? Really, how's the training?

Advertisement