Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSE Race Series 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

aquinn wrote: »
    What's this? Really, how's the training?

Hi Aquinn, how are you these days, are you running much? I was dabbling in Duathlon and Triathlon stuff so far this year, good laff and open water swimming is great but so tough (IMO).
    Yes, I am back in the groove for running again (wetsuit and bike now tucked away in the shed) and I am back up to 18-20K LSR's at the weekend and I am defo doing the Dublin HM in September and I am 'planning' to do the DCM with my friend (his first one)....if training goes well over the next 6 weeks and injury niggles behave :)

What about you, are you doing any HM or full DCM this year.....last year's was great but tough in that heat....as you well know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

smashiner wrote: »
    Hi Aquinn, how are you these days, are you running much? I was dabbling in Duathlon and Triathlon stuff so far this year, good laff and open water swimming is great but so tough (IMO).
    Yes, I am back in the groove for running again (wetsuit and bike now tucked away in the shed) and I am back up to 18-20K LSR's at the weekend and I am defo doing the Dublin HM in September and I am 'planning' to do the DCM with my friend (his first one)....if training goes well over the next 6 weeks and injury niggles behave :)

What about you, are you doing any HM or full DCM this year.....last year's was great but tough in that heat....as you well know!!

Oh well done. I know you wanted to try the duathlons but Tri too, mad! How was it? Not the ironman yet? I've had similar thoughts on the duathlons but haven't managed it yet.

What's with the KM Smash, come on now. DCM is all about the miles, you know this :D

I've the 10 miles and half and that's my goals for the year. Only decided two weeks ago I'm not doing DCM. Am concentrating on sailing in a dinghy for now and hopefully marathon next year. Trying to convince Anna to do Paris or Cork.

All info here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057369547 :eek:

Oh well done. I know you wanted to try the duathlons but Tri too, mad! How was it? Not the ironman yet? I've had similar thoughts on the duathlons but haven't managed it yet.

What's with the KM Smash, come on now. DCM is all about the miles, you know this :D

I've the 10 miles and half and that's my goals for the year. Only decided two weeks ago I'm not doing DCM. Am concentrating on sailing in a dinghy for now and hopefully marathon next year. Trying to convince Anna to do Paris or Cork.

All info here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057369547 :eek:

Sorry I am up to 12/13 miles :P......damn Imperial system....42K sounds more impressive than 26 miles!!

The Triathlon stuff is good for a bit of diversity,I found the bike bit to be a tad boring after 30 minutes, loved the swimming. I did a few 'Aquathon's (Swim and Run) and really enjoyed them....worth a try for newbie swimmers. Olympic Tri events are in the plan for next year, Ironman events don't allow inflatable orange arm bands....so that rules me out for now......:D

Sailing? Dinghys? Sounds like a whole other thread is needed for that.....best of luck with it, sounds cool.

Will probably see you at the Half so on the 19th....missed running too much to stay away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Got my number today in the post for the Frank Duffy. Will be my first time racing in the series outside of DCM itself. These races always seem to get great praise here to I'm really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Got my number, race pack is getting smaller every year, no safety pins in it this year.

Recession must still be on.

• Advertisement

Signed up for the Dublin HM in the Phoenix Park on the 19th of September just now. Great value at only €20 for a HM and the route is good too, pace groups, water stations etc great atmosphere and great race would strongly recommend it....

I think that there is a medal too this year to add a bit more to the mix.....sign up today, you won't regret it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Half and 10 mile for 35is brilliant value.. Signed up for both. Got numbers yesterday cant wait..ðŸ˜Â႒

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Sorry I am up to 12/13 miles :P......damn Imperial system....42K sounds more impressive than 26 miles!!

The Triathlon stuff is good for a bit of diversity,I found the bike bit to be a tad boring after 30 minutes, loved the swimming. I did a few 'Aquathon's (Swim and Run) and really enjoyed them....worth a try for newbie swimmers. Olympic Tri events are in the plan for next year, Ironman events don't allow inflatable orange arm bands....so that rules me out for now......:D

Sailing? Dinghys? Sounds like a whole other thread is needed for that.....best of luck with it, sounds cool.

Will probably see you at the Half so on the 19th....missed running too much to stay away!!

Hi guys!!
    I would love to do Triathalon training! but I am a crap swimmer. It was always the breathing I struggled with but haven't really tried properly since took up running years ago so maybe I'd be better at the swimming now that im fitter than last time I tried. I was training for DCM again this year but strained tendons in my foot at the Fingal 10k :( didn't start hurting for a couple of days after, so I missed 3 weeks of running. Got back into it last week and did 10 miles yesterday so I'm (just about) on course for the 10 mile this weekend but I don't think I will be getting any pbs. don't wanna miss it though, or the tshirt! Missing those 3 weeks training has left me behind in my plan for DCM so plan b is to get through the 10 mile this weekend, put a decent effort into training for the half next month and hopefully get a PB then concentrate on improving my 5k time. Maybe the clontarf half in Nov. During my 3 weeks of no running I did a bit of cycling and loved it, so maybe I need to get in a pool and try swimming again.

Hoping it rains this sat. We are overdue a cool wet race series day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Signed up for the Dublin HM in the Phoenix Park on the 19th of September just now. Great value at only €20 for a HM and the route is good too, pace groups, water stations etc great atmosphere and great race would strongly recommend it....

I think that there is a medal too this year to add a bit more to the mix.....sign up today, you won't regret it!!

Does anyone have a garmin for this race?

Hi,
    No sorry, but I can tell you that it is generally flat,see the Race Route on the Dublin Half Marthon website, with a couple of undulating hills, nothing too bad.
    What catches out people the most is the flat bit up the outside of the park from 10 miles to about 11.75 miles to the Chapelizod gates (people go too fast there) and then a big (ish) hill up the 'Upper Glen Road' and a sprint to the finish. So make sure you leave a little bit in the tank for the last 3 miles and don't gun it too much on the flat before that hill ;).

Anyone else got a Garmin watch that knows how to use it for elevation maps??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Hi,
    No sorry, but I can tell you that it is generally flat,see the Race Route on the Dublin Half Marthon website, with a couple of undulating hills, nothing too bad.
    What catches out people the most is the flat bit up the outside of the park from 10 miles to about 11.75 miles to the Chapelizod gates (people go too fast there) and then a big (ish) hill up the 'Upper Glen Road' and a sprint to the finish. So make sure you leave a little bit in the tank for the last 3 miles and don't gun it too much on the flat before that hill ;).

This event is up on Strava so you can see the course profile there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Anyone planning a recce for the Half should note that the gate out the back of Farmleigh (Tower Gate) is generally locked so you can't follow the exact route. An alternative is to head out the gate just to the right of Farmleigh, head up that road then left at the crossroads. That will bring you to the other side of Tower Gate and you can continue on from there as normal heading down towards Mount Sackville, taking a sharp left there into the park again.

Hi,

This does not classify as a generally flat half marathon, its not a pb course for sure. It has been made easier over the years though, compare to what it used to be.

In the days when you got a "real goody bag" the route was a double loop around the S bends and up the upper glen road twice!!!

Joleigh wrote: »
    Hi guys!!
    I would love to do Triathalon training! but I am a crap swimmer. It was always the breathing I struggled with but haven't really tried properly since took up running years ago so maybe I'd be better at the swimming now that im fitter than last time I tried. I was training for DCM again this year but strained tendons in my foot at the Fingal 10k :( didn't start hurting for a couple of days after, so I missed 3 weeks of running. Got back into it last week and did 10 miles yesterday so I'm (just about) on course for the 10 mile this weekend but I don't think I will be getting any pbs. don't wanna miss it though, or the tshirt! Missing those 3 weeks training has left me behind in my plan for DCM so plan b is to get through the 10 mile this weekend, put a decent effort into training for the half next month and hopefully get a PB then concentrate on improving my 5k time.

Hi Joleigh,
    Yep, the swimming I found tough, breathing was my problem too, get a cheap pull buoy for the first 2-3 weeks training as it somewhat replicates the effect of wet suit and you can focus on your technique, arm recovery, breathing etc...was a big help to me.....I am now slightly less crap at swimming and can get through a 500-750M event now , plan to work on it a bit more in the winter :rolleyes:.

Sorry to hear that you were injured, but don't give up on the DCM dream just yet, still plenty of time (69 days), so if you can avoid injury niggles you might still make the start line.....:pac::D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Thanks for the help RE route and elevation. The last half I did was Clontarf and that is very, very flat. I'm hoping to beat my Clontarf time...will have to train up and down that glen road I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

You can make hay from miles 6 to 10 but be careful to leave something in the tank for the last 3 miles, conyngham road is flat but it's always windy and if it's in your face it'll be tough, when you turn back in to the park at chapelizod gate there's a nasty climb.

Thanks for the help RE route and elevation. The last half I did was Clontarf and that is very, very flat. I'm hoping to beat my Clontarf time...will have to train up and down that glen road I think!

I was full sure I'd get a PB at the clontarf half last year but I totally underestimated the wind, it was horrible. Got the PB at the race series HM last year, I'd say you'll have a good chance of doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 3star

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help, I am signed up for the race series and DCM and have been following the team Dublin marathon training plan but they don't seem to be good on updating the site. it was suppose to be updated every Friday?? anyone please help

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Signed up for 10miler but won't be able to do it due to injury...can I show up on the day to collect the t-shirt and gift? Obviously I don't want to upset the timing but I've paid my money and wouldn't mind the protein shaker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

fletch wrote: »
    Signed up for 10miler but won't be able to do it due to injury...can I show up on the day to collect the t-shirt and gift? Obviously I don't want to upset the timing but I've paid my money and wouldn't mind the protein shaker

I'd say highly unlikely since you didn't race. I know my friend didn't get one of the additional things last year as missed it at the finish and mailed them and never heard back. I think you've to race, finish and remember to collect.

• Advertisement

Seriously going to all the effort just to get the shaker? Just buy one in the shop and have an easy sat day

I'd say highly unlikely since you didn't race. I know my friend didn't get one of the additional things last year as missed it at the finish and mailed them and never heard back. I think you've to race, finish and remember to collect.
    Grand thanks
    Seriously going to all the effort just to get the shaker? Just buy one in the shop and have an easy sat day
    Ah I'll probably go down to the park anyway to support so figured I may as well chance my arm since I've paid :)

Grand thanks
    Ah I'll probably go down to the park anyway to support so figured I may as well chance my arm since I've paid :)

Well the only way I can see you getting it, is to get into your running kit, after about 1:30 on the clock, jump in a 300m from the finish with your number etc and run to the finish line!!

Well the only way I can see you getting it, is to get into your running kit, after about 1:30 on the clock, jump in a 300m from the finish with your number etc and run to the finish line!!
    That's exactly what I don't want to do :)
    Ah I already have too many t-shirts so not bothered about that...I just would have liked the shaker

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Just show them your bib and I'm sure they'll give you one.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

Frank Duffy 10m - anybody know for sure is it cups or bottles of water?

Skidrow wrote: »

It has always been cups as long as I did it. But i did miss it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Skidrow wrote: »

It's cups for the 10 miler and bottles for the Half.

If you want I can do the run in your number and after the race I could meet you to give you the t shirt and gift?
    No worries if not, it's just that I was looking to do the race but missed the cut off point to register.

• Advertisement

ooter wrote: »
    If you want I can do the run in your number and after the race I could meet you to give you the t shirt and gift?
    No worries if not, it's just that I was looking to do the race but missed the cut off point to register.
    Pretty sure number swaps aren't allowed? :confused:

Advertisement