Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSE Race Series 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Its my first 10 mile tomorrow in the Phoenix park. How is the best way to get to the start line? I can see it's nearer the Castleknock entrance but a good 30 minutes walk up?

Should I bring water with me? Feeling a little un-prepared! Anyone have any info that might be useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Any quick tips on what I should be eating tonight and when I wake up tomorrow?
    Felt very lethargic on the 10k Swords run last month. I had a few Oatibix for my breakfast that time.
    Planning on 2 eggs and toast tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on where you're coming from; There will be shuttle busses leaving parkgate st between 8:30 and 9:30 to get you there.

Water is really up to you. I hate carrying water myself, I can handle just relying on the water stations for the duration of a race like this. I just make sure I've drank plenty in the 24 hours leading up to it.

Might be a bit humid tomorrow though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Greenduck wrote: »
    Its my first 10 mile tomorrow in the Phoenix park. How is the best way to get to the start line? I can see it's nearer the Castleknock entrance but a good 30 minutes walk up?

Should I bring water with me? Feeling a little un-prepared! Anyone have any info that might be useful?

Yes it can be a long enough walk to the start line at times so give yourself plenty of time. They'll have water on the course but I'd recommend a drink anyway. I didn't for the 5 mile and it was a long way to the water stop at mile 4 as it was very warm.
    Felt very lethargic on the 10k Swords run last month. I had a few Oatibix for my breakfast that time.

My pre-race dinner is lasagna and breakfast of porridge with no coffee from now but everyone is different.

Make sure you are both well-prehydrated and not gulping fluids into you on the morning of. Start now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Don't change anything, its only a 10 miler so keep things consistent.

Have your normal meal tonight and tomorrow have what you would always have before a run.

For example for me it be like this:

Get up at 7am and have some porridge and coffee.
    Do the shopping in aldi and head to the park about 9.
    Bring a drink but stop drinking from it by 9:30
    2k warm up and relax.

• Advertisement

Whatever you are drinking stop drinking from it before 9:30. You won't get dehydrated in a 10 mile run. I won't use any of the water stations

Also don't drink loads today, just stay normal, its not a marathon

Whatever you are drinking stop drinking from it before 9:30. You won't get dehydrated in a 10 mile run. I won't use any of the water stations

Also don't drink loads today, just stay normal, its not a marathon

Thanks. I've only ever ran 10km. I usually have a drink about 7km but if there is water stations I should be fine.

Delighted to hear about the shuttle buses! I never received my pack so am at a bit of a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Thanks. I've only ever ran 10km. I usually have a drink about 7km but if there is water stations I should be fine.

Delighted to hear about the shuttle buses! I never received my pack so am at a bit of a loss.

Do you have a bib to run?

Ok, its your first 10 miler so pace your self on the course.

Mile 1: Is fast but don't sprint off, just relax.
    Mile 2 - 4 A few long drags and possible wind against you, don't over push here
    Mile 4 - 7: Are where you can make time, but remember you don't go crazy here as
    the finish is tough
    Mile 8 - 10: Will be alot of hill, so be ready for this, keep something in the tank and
    you will go by people.

Enjoy.

aquinn wrote: »
    Do you have a bib to run?

Nope - nothing yet. I think they said I could pick it up in the morning?

Thanks for the advice Average Runner. I think on my 8-10th mile I'll be lucky if I'm not crawling :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I always have a bowl of porridge with water 2 hours before the start time. It's great. Drink loads of water today so you start off tomorrow nice and naturally hydrated

(Porridge made with water is plain but filling and won't upset your tummy)

I also have half of a protein smoothie that I make myself if I'm running anything over 12km so I'll be having that in the morning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

If you're not coming from too far away, cycle. There are plenty places to lock a bike near the start/finish. E.g. the metal cages around the trees at the end of furze rd. You'll see plenty other bikes around. I find it a great way to wake up the legs without taking much out of myself. It makes getting away very easy too, and makes a nice cooldown. I've never used the shuttle bus, but I'm guessing there could be quite a bit of waiting around.

Current weather forecast is for 15-17 degrees, very little wind, and a chance of rain starting during/soon after the race. In other words, good conditions, relative to recent weather.
    http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/hour_by_hour.html

On the water: don't drink too much in the morning. Visit the toilets before the start. If you drink from the cups at the water stations during the race, it's worth slowing down a little to avoid coughing and spluttering. You won't lose much time.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

fletch wrote: »
    Pretty sure number swaps aren't allowed? :confused:

People do it all the time. You just can't change the name on the number but anyone can run with your number and in your place.

Looking forward to this. Looks like its going to be a hot one. Hoping the t-shirts are a decent size this time.

Phoole wrote: »
    People do it all the time. You just can't change the name on the number but anyone can run with your number and in your place.

Its not allowed though, you ARE breaking the rules and also could cause a potential issue if you take bad in the race and try to contact next of kin.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's against the rules and if there is a medical emergency the emergency contact of the perosn who registered will be contacted.

So in short it's not a good idea to give your number to someone else or to run with someone elses number.

PC brigade in full force. Adults making adult decisions.

PC brigade in full force. Adults making adult decisions.

If your prepare to run a race, you should obey the rules of that race, that's what adults do in life. Organisers have these rules in place for a reason, health & insurance reasons for one. Stupid adults breaking these rules, can cause the cost of the insurance to increase and hence the cost of the race. Bet you moan then

If your prepare to run a race, you should obey the rules of that race, that's what adults do in life. Organisers have these rules in place for a reason, health & insurance reasons for one. Stupid adults breaking these rules, can cause the cost of the insurance to increase and hence the cost of the race. Bet you moan then

Be sure to never break the speed limit and eat your greens every day. Stupid adults. You're more likely to be injured in a car accident on the way to the race.

Be sure to never break the speed limit and eat your greens every day. Stupid adults. You're more likely to be injured in a car accident on the way to the race.

If you don't like rules, you know where the door is

• Advertisement

If you don't like rules, you know where the door is

I've no issue with the rules. I run every race with my own number. I just don't think someone swapping numbers is worth getting my knickers in a twist over quite like you seem to.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

adrian522 wrote: »
    It's against the rules and if there is a medical emergency the emergency contact of the perosn who registered will be contacted.

So in short it's not a good idea to give your number to someone else or to run with someone elses number.

Is there not a form on the reverse side of the number, where you can fill in whatever emergency contact details you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭ooter

Is there not a form on the reverse side of the number, where you can fill in whatever emergency contact details you want?

Exactly, sorry I asked now.

ooter wrote: »
    Exactly, sorry I asked now.

But that form only has next of kin details and not yours.

So if Barry Doyle gives John Murphy his entry, a steward rings John Murphy wife and could say Barry is dead or Barry is in a bad way, there be alot of confusion at the end of the phone when there is no need to be, at a serious moment,

Also John is not covered under the insurance of the race, so if he hurts himself etc, he could claim and then more issues pop up.

Insurance is a valid point, but surely if someone hasn't registered for the race they are not insured and the organisers are not liable for any injuries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭ooter

But that form only has next of kin details and not yours.

So if Barry Doyle gives John Murphy his entry, a steward rings John Murphy wife and could say Barry is dead or Barry is in a bad way, there be alot of confusion at the end of the phone when there is no need to be, at a serious moment,

Also John is not covered under the insurance of the race, so if he hurts himself etc, he could claim and then more issues pop up.

I doubt John Murphy would be able to claim, he'd be running at his own risk, and if John informs his next of kin that if anyone rings about Barry Doyle they're actually talking about him then there's no issue.
    Anyway, it's gone way off topic and that wasn't my intention, enjoy the race tomorrow folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck to all those running under their own name in the Frank Duffy tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hassle travel

Can't find my number, can you get a replacement number in the morning, thanks in advance

Can't find my number, can you get a replacement number in the morning, thanks in advance

Not sure, but turn up and try. Maybe say it never
    arrived by post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Best of luck to all those running under their own name in the Frank Duffy tomorrow :D

Also, best of luck to all those running under someone else's name in the Frank Duffy tomorrow ;) Stay safe out there guys :)

Advertisement