Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSE Race Series 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Phoole wrote: »
    PC brigade in full force. Adults making adult decisions.

People think they'll never be the one who something happens to, but needing the contact details on the number happens frequently enough. My husband collapsed in a marathon, and I got that phone all - scariest thing ever! Coincidentally, not 40 minutes before I got that call, I had been calling the wife of another collapsed runner on the route while we waited for medical assistance. It would all have been more complicated if the two of them had been running under different names.

If people do swop numbers, at least make sure your own medical info and contact details are written on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Phoole wrote: »
    Be sure to never break the speed limit and eat your greens every day. Stupid adults. You're more likely to be injured in a car accident on the way to the race.

The ultimate reason speed limits are broken is because drivers cant control the impulse to take what they perceive to be a low risk action, so it is a good comparison.

It may have a low probability of going wrong, but the consequences could be severe, on the road there are hundreds killed and maimed and injured, its also low probability of disaster in a race, but the outcome could be fatal. Follow the rules, buy your own f*cking number, and dont mess up yours or someone else day, or life. That's the adult decision to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

Jaysus, I'll make sure not to miss the deadline for application for races in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Great race, really enjoyed it. Perfect weather, the bottle is super and t-shirt fits perfectly! All happy :) Bring on the half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Very well organised and great value race yet again.NO WIND:):) For once the north road was grand and it may be the calmest ever race i did in the park.
    Thought the second mile marker was way too short but measured the course exactly 10.00 so no complaints otherwise.
    Got home in 1'21'4x with a 1 minute + negative split which was the best part,still woefully far away from where i want to be but 4 weeks of hard training will hopefully see that pace held for the half:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

I had bitched and moaned about the course all week but only really had a look the route map this morning and was delighted to see we were leaving the park at island bridge and reentering at the Chapelizod gate. Totally bypassing the S bends. The last 1.5 miles were the toughest but the rest of the route was so fast.

Good route and well worth the 20 euro entry fee. I just wish the commentator would shut for a bit and stick on some music now and again. My only complaint on an other wise great event ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

I just wish the commentator would shut for a bit and stick on some music now and again. My only complaint on an other wise great event ;)

GTFO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I had bitched and moaned about the course all week but only really had a look the route map this morning and was delighted to see we were leaving the park at island bridge and reentering at the Chapelizod gate. Totally bypassing the S bends. The last 1.5 miles were the toughest but the rest of the route was so fast.

Good route and well worth the 20 euro entry fee. I just wish the commentator would shut for a bit and stick on some music now and again. My only complaint on an other wise great event ;)

Top 13 and more importantly not chicked!

Well done, cracking result

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I just wish the commentator would shut for a bit and stick on some music now and again. My only complaint on an other wise great event ;)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but yours is wrong :o

I love listening to him at the start and end of a race, he's so on the edge of insulting but never crosses the line. He's the best part of the finish....with the exception of not having to run anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

+1 for the commentator...always enjoy him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

cloneslad wrote: »
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but yours is wrong :o

you are lucky you weren't selected for a drugs test today as you are obviously a drug user :) That commentator almost makes me wish I was temporarily deaf!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I was marshalling around 8.5 miles, enjoyed my morning's viewing - seldom that I'd get to see the pointy end of things.

Highlights: The good conditions, watching the leaders flying by, seeing one lady run while eating a Mars bar, the friendly abuse I got for the 'Imagine the Finish Line" sign (which had nothing to do with me, and was part of the course).

Lowlights: Some of the headphone wearers blabbing away on their iphones, one lad bleeding very heavily from the worst case of nipple chafing I've ever seen, and the lad in the Livestrong T-shirt. Which could be a highlight if he was being ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pleasantly surprised by those conditions. Rare you get a windless, overcast day in August that's not humid as hell. First 10 mile run (ever :eek:) for me and fighting an injury, so just plucked an upper and lower goal pace from the air. Ended up coming in 1 minute faster than my upper pace goal. So I'm delighted with that. Around 10K I just became a floating head and my body trundled along at its own pace independent of me.
    I got a horrible thought when we came back in the gate around 7.5 miles that it was going to be the sharp climb up, I was never so happy to see just a gentle slope.

Aerobically I know I could have pushed harder but my legs went to their maximum today. Couldn't even gently jog back to my car, had to walk slowly. So I need to get a load of 13-15 mile runs in before the half, to give it a proper shot.

Interesting the difference between 5/10K and this. In shorter races you find a load of people who rocket off too fast and barely 10 minutes in are breathing like they're mid-heart attack or are walking. But saw practically none of that today. Obviously only those who've actually done some training are crazy enough to sign up to the longer races...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

you are lucky you weren't selected for a drugs test today as you are obviously a drug user :)

I'm sitll drnuk rghit nwo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

On target for a PB at half way, but the lack of training showed big time subsequently, and the second half was horrendous. Only myself to blame for a 1:17:xx chip time, two minutes slower than what is currently a relatively weak PB. Glad I'm still able to (just about) run these races though. Clontarf HM in November gives me a shot at redemption before year end!!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

I think they cut out those S-bends from the Magazine Fort onwards due to access difficulties for the emergency services: there have been quite a few collapses on that winding, undulating windswept mile, which ultimately ends back down at the base of the hill at the Chapelizod Gate. It made good sense for them to send people out the Islandbridge Gate and back in the Chapelizod Gate as a safe, easily-accessible alternative.

I just crept under the 80 min mark, so am looking forward to the Half Marathon on what's largely the same course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Extra special thanks to all the wonderful marshals and the supporters and congrats to all who ran.
    I really enjoyed the 10 Miler today. I'm nowhere near racing shape so I was running it with a pal as part of my LSR.
    It was great to catch up with lots of boardsies, lots of shiny happy people with PBs :-)
    I know everyone thinks we are biased towards the Race Series and DCM on boards but they always get everything right and for great value too.
    And I love the commentator ;) although I think he forgot to mention "fitter than a butcher's dog" this year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I haven't done this race since 2010 and loved the course today. Near perfect conditions, i found it very warm & muggy for the first couple of miles. I also found it very strange the quietness along the first mile, everyone was concentrating and there was no chat.

I was trying to run @ MP for the first 8 m but found myself battling to pull it back a few times. Overall very happy with the run and the 10 min 34 sec PB on the 2010 race. Chip time of 1:27:54:) Great to catch up with some Boardsies i haven't seen for a while!!

I love the commentator and his voice is definitely a part of the race series, but he does babble on some times.

The S bends are nightmare at the end of a 10 mile or half, I'm glad they've cut them out. Not sure why they've chosen to use the same route for the past 3 years. They used to change it every year. 2011 we went the opposite direction down the big hill ad around the S bends I think.

• Advertisement

Great race, well organised and a good course.

I was disappointed to see so many cut a huge amount off the course by running up the grass from the North Rd over to the path at the side of Chesterfield at 4 miles. I'd say nearly 90% were doing this in around the 66-68 minute mark, easily saving 50-60 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

results anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

I didn't see it because I was running, but apparently the men's finish was very exciting. They were neck and neck down the length of the home straight with Sergiu doing just enough to win.

results here: http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/race-results.php?event=2036

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

menoscemo wrote: »
    Great race, well organised and a good course.

I was disappointed to see so many cut a huge amount off the course by running up the grass from the North Rd over to the path at the side of Chesterfield at 4 miles. I'd say nearly 90% were doing this in around the 66-68 minute mark, easily saving 50-60 metres.
    Yeah, same at the front too. I felt like a bit of a pleb following the course, but you can tell who has cut the course when their Garmin beeps each KM/Mile mark 30 seconds before yours does :p

There were two points I noticed; around 1 mile in, the left turn off Chesterfield Ave. I always assume the road is the course, so I stuck to the road while everyone else saved 20/30m across the grass. Then the 4 mile back onto Chesterfield. At least there the course was marked out with the cones, it was obvious where you were supposed to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

Quick question, has everybody received a chip Time already? For the third race now it looks like I will only get a gun time and not a chip time.

Apart from that it was a great race, I really enjoyed it although a wedding last night probably wasn't the best prep, finished according to my time in 1,31,25 which is nearly ten minutes quicker than my PB.

Onto the half now and if I can under two hours for that it will be a very successful first six months of running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Commentator is always a laugh I think.

Great course, enjoyed it and completed it in 1hr 45m

BKWDR wrote: »
    Commentator is always a laugh I think.

Great course, enjoyed it and completed it in 1hr 45m

Good man yourself Ben :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭reservoirdubdub

And I love the commentator ;) although I think he forgot to mention "fitter than a butcher's dog" this year:)[/QUOTE]

He did say it.
    As i was walking past the commentators box @ 9.50
    he got this phase into a sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭reservoirdubdub

And I love the commentator ;) although I think he forgot to mention "fitter than a butcher's dog" this year:)[/QUOTE]

He did say it.
    As i was walking past the commentators box @ 9.50
    he got this phase into a sentence.

Advertisement