Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSE Race Series 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Anyone know what the bottom attachment of the shaker bottle is for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Phoole wrote:
    Anyone know what the bottom attachment of the shaker bottle is for?

I asked earlier and was told it was for nuts and seeds so a snack bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

You could also put protein scoop in the bottom and one in the shaker. According to the site the top part with the holes is for locker keys. £9 to buy so not bad considering the race only cost €20.

Jet Black wrote: »
    You could also put protein scoop in the bottom and one in the shaker. According to the site the top part with the holes is for locker keys. £9 to buy so not bad considering the race only cost €20.

Good point. I think its the best one yet. The races really are great value. Looking forward to getting a medal for the half now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I just wish the commentator would shut for a bit and stick on some music now and again. My only complaint on an other wise great event ;)

due to where I was stewarding I had him for a few hours - here's a couple of my favourites from today....

"and theres xx from Moynalty - we all pass through Moynalty at some stage, even if you have a puncture, you'd not stop there"

"I've seen Sean Hehir run a few Marathons but never seen his face as red as it is now with the flowers. He must have robbed them from Sergio.

"There's Gerry Carr - its not his birthday today".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

due to where I was stewarding I had him for a few hours - here's a couple of my favourites from today....

"and theres xx from Moynalty - we all pass through Moynalty at some stage, even if you have a puncture, you'd not stop there"

"I've seen Sean Hehir run a few Marathons but never seen his face as red as it is now with the flowers. He must have robbed them from Sergio.

"There's Gerry Carr - its not his birthday today".

In isolation they are quite funny but there's a lot of misses too :)

Thanks for the support today by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Have run several race series events over the years, have always enjoyed them. Today was my first encounter with it as a random park user, and unfortunately it wasn't pleasant. Arrived in the NCR gate (on foot) to the park around 1.00 and it was mayhem. Cars abandoned on grass and footpath everywhere, it really takes away from the park. I know a lot of the cars were from zoo visitors, but it doesn't seem to change the point that the series had gotten too big for the park......

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

macinalli wrote: »
    Have run several race series events over the years, have always enjoyed them. Today was my first encounter with it as a random park user, and unfortunately it wasn't pleasant. Arrived in the NCR gate (on foot) to the park around 1.00 and it was mayhem. Cars abandoned on grass and footpath everywhere, it really takes away from the park. I know a lot of the cars were from zoo visitors, but it doesn't seem to change the point that the series had gotten too big for the park......
    Would most of the runners have gone by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Great race as usual. Always one of my favourite races of the year. Thanks to all involved particularly the volunteers and supporters!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coco7

Found today to be very well organised and lovely course. Some nice touches really added to the race, secure bicycle park, water hoses by the fire brigade to keep us cool, sports bottle at the end. Wasn't a PB for me today but felt I could have gone faster and finished strong hopefully will stand to me in the half in Sep. Thanks to the stewards & organisers for a great value event in the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,626 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The race series numbers have actually been steadily dropping since its peak in 2011/12.

And 1 o'clock? 3800 of the 4100 participants finished before 12. And most of the race traffic would have been parking in either the Papal Cross car park, or as close to the Phoenix roundabout as possible, given the location of the start/finish lines. I'd say the amount of traffic you saw that was race-related was a extremely small percentage, and far more to do with an end-of-August-nice-day, pre-back-to-school zoo rush

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote:
    The race series numbers have actually been steadily dropping since its peak in 2011/12.

And 1 o'clock? 3800 of the 4100 participants finished before 12. And most of the race traffic would have been parking in either the Papal Cross car park, or as close to the Phoenix roundabout as possible, given the location of the start/finish lines. I'd say the amount of traffic you saw that was race-related was a extremely small percentage, and far more to do with an end-of-August-nice-day, pre-back-to-school zoo rush

Lots of people in FD tops getting into cars - they stand out! There's also lots of zoo traffic badly parked, but if you go there last Sat, or next Sat, it'll be nothing like today.

Don't get me wrong - am a big fan of the race series, but it does have a big impact

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Lots of people in FD tops getting into cars - they stand out! There's also lots of zoo traffic badly parked, but if you go there last Sat, or next Sat, it'll be nothing like today.

Don't get me wrong - am a big fan of the race series, but it does have a big impact

Sure it does! But 4000+ people got a positive impact. Would suggest this outweighs any negatives. It's next to impossible to get public roads in Dublin closed so without the Phoenix park the race series would be limited a a couple of races at most.

Where you there the weekend of the ironman? What sort of impact did that have
    Where you there the weekend of the bloom? What sort of impact did that have?
    Where you there the weekend of the motor races? What sort of impact did that have?

I could go on, all events are going to have negative impacts for non participants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Count yourself lucky you don't live near Croke Park, the Aviva or anywhere along the Dublin Coast line on a sunny day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

It's a public park, there has to be some amount of Lee way when it comes to parking associated with events that see thousands participate in a healthy related event... It's the greater good theory etc

The best commentator moment was when I passed though the start line and he was giving a blow by blow account of a couple trying to get a Garmin watch to work before they crossed the start line

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

I was at the zoo after the race with my family after the race and there was a special event on, something about an elephant. The vast majority of the crazy car parking was from zoo users since it was concentrated down near the garda barracks/zoo and was still there long after most of the race participants had gone.
    It's the zoo that needs to sort out parking.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Count yourself lucky you don't live near Croke Park, the Aviva or anywhere along the Dublin Coast line on a sunny day :)

This. Or driving through Dublin city during a protest.

The race go-ers will have all parked up by 9:30 and gone by 12:30/1pm. The Zoo goers are the ones who have parked badly, surely!?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Hi all, ran yesterday in fd 10.. First ever race series. Ran without any gps music etc. was delighted and even confused with a time of 1 hour 11 .. Much faster than anticipated, i was planning just under 7 min 30 miles.. Any way thought race was very well organised and course was pretty flat except for last mile .. Lol roll on half on sep 19.. 😅

First off, I'm all for the race series, I was only highlighting the parking chaos that went with it. I agree entirely that the benefits are there, but on Sat there were people walking prams on the road due to the footpaths being full of parked cars - that's a problem! Bloom etc organise temporary (paid) car parks beside the venue - that won't work for a race as runners will take the free parking and use the jog to the event as a warm up. No easy solution that I can see

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Great event as always. I had a nightmare at this event last year going out way too fast and barely making the finish line!
    Better this year but the upper glen road really slowed me, was running very even 8:20 min miles splits up till the last two miles which were both over 10min miles.
    Will really have to work on my hill running as losing 4 mins off my time is frustrating, i expected to slow a little bit going up the hill but not by that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,626 ✭✭✭✭28064212

on Sat there were people walking prams on the road due to the footpaths being full of parked cars - that's a problem!
    I assume you're talking about on North Road? That's almost exclusively zoo traffic, and the footpath parking happens every Saturday and Sunday throughout the Summer (at least, when it's dry :))

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Coming on to this thread after a great day in prefect running condition's and the last thing I thought would be getting talked about was parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

😀😀😀

Dub13 wrote: »
    Coming on to this thread after a great day in prefect running condition's and the last thing I thought would be getting talked about was parking.

And the Gardai on duty at the Ashtown gate checking motor tax of those unsuspecting runners getting back in to their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

menoscemo wrote: »
    Great race, well organised and a good course.

I was disappointed to see so many cut a huge amount off the course by running up the grass from the North Rd over to the path at the side of Chesterfield at 4 miles. I'd say nearly 90% were doing this in around the 66-68 minute mark, easily saving 50-60 metres.

Must say I was guilty of this myself, followed the crowd but I wasn't sure where the course was - didn't notice cones and the area didn't seem to be marshalled like in previous years (not that I would ever blame the marshals anyway). I did make a point of not cutting the left hand turn corner in mile 2 alright. I do try to run a good racing line where possible but cutting corners is not on so I feel a little grubby now!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

If you look at the video put up on Facebook the leaders cut this corner aswell, looks like it needs to be marked out better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Thank you to the boardies who gave me the nutrition advice.
    Had eggs and toast early saturday morning and I felt great on the race. Legs were dead weights going up the last hill but that was expected.
    Finished in 1 hour 22 mins which was a minute faster than my PB (16KM) even though Strava had me clocking in 16.5KM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Murph_D wrote: »
    Must say I was guilty of this myself, followed the crowd but I wasn't sure where the course was - didn't notice cones and the area didn't seem to be marshalled like in previous years (not that I would ever blame the marshals anyway). I did make a point of not cutting the left hand turn corner in mile 2 alright. I do try to run a good racing line where possible but cutting corners is not on so I feel a little grubby now!

So you should! Cutting corner, tsk.

I was very surprised at the first corner the effort people went to to get through the parked cars just to take the corner out. In my opinion not worth it for fear of going flying over a curb. Same after mile 4 a lot of people took a huge chunk off the corner.

A really super race and event. It's my third one and to date the only race I've absolutely loved each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Parking is always a bit mental near the zoo. By 1pm I was home cutting the grass!

I had a surprisingly good race. I missed out on 3 weeks of running after the fingal 10k and just about managed 10 miles last sunday so wasn't expecting much for the Frank Duffy 10 mile. I kept a steady pace until mile 8 when I started to struggle so instead of suffering I decided to take it easy and not kill myself in the last 2 miles. My time for the last 2 years was 90 mins bang on. Saw the finish line in the distance, looked at my watch and saw that it was 1.27.xx so I gave it a bit of welly and finished in 1.28 knocking 2 mins off my pb. I got such a buzz from improving my time that I think I will aim to do the same for the half instead of trying to catch up on training for the DCM. Next time I do the DCM I want to beat my previous time with a decent effort knowing I've done the full training, so for now I'm concentrating on the half and improving my time.

Great day once again. Not sure what to do with my protein shaker....never used protein powder and wouldn't even know where to start! maybe its time I looked into it. Thanks to all the volunteers....a flawless race day as usual.

Advertisement