Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSE Race Series 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Thank you to the boardies who gave me the nutrition advice.
    Had eggs and toast early saturday morning and I felt great on the race. Legs were dead weights going up the last hill but that was expected.
    Finished in 1 hour 22 mins which was a minute faster than my PB (16KM) even though Strava had me clocking in 16.5KM.

I finished 1.22 aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

I had no training at all for the race but was happy with how it went. My body was in bits after the race, could barely walk up the stairs at home. Think i have planter fasciitis on my right foot too, can barely walk on it.

All in all though it was a fantastic event, well worth 20 quid. Cant wait to be better prepared for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Well done everyone.

I really enjoyed it too and had a nice run. Great event as usual. So impressed with the race series. It's such good value too. Love how we creep up to the big M in October gradually. The series is a great confidence booster!

People cutting the course: I nearly got mowed down as I was a total geek and did the full course. People who were cutting were then flying into me. I'm sure I was getting some death stares but I kept staring ahead and focusing. After all, I was the one following the full course!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Runninghard

Just like to echo all the positives mentioned about Saturday's race. Fair play to the organisers. It was my first time doing any of the Race Series and I found it very well organised. I did the Rock and Roll a couple of weeks ago and think that this race was much better value (and cheaper). Love the tee-shirt (fits perfectly) and will find some use for the smoothie bottle.

I don't live in Dublin but love to run in the Phoenix Park whenever I can. Races like this make me really appreciate the free resource that park is. The only downside on Saturday race was having to leave the park out onto Conyngham Road. It's definitely the most boring part of the course.

Did anyone else find the lack of a breeze anywhere on the route a bit disconcerting ?

Did anyone else find the lack of a breeze anywhere on the route a bit disconcerting ?

Oh hell yeah! Even though I have trained through the humidity across the summer I found Saturday every muggy. I drank all my drink way faster than normal. Got into my head there were 3 water stops and didn't ration it!

Just made my breakfast smoothie for the morning. All packed up in my swanky FD smoothie holder! Really cool gift and something I'll use a lot.

Apparently they will have 'XS' as an option for the HM tops next month!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Pink11 wrote: »

Apparently they will have 'XS' as an option for the HM tops next month!

It was the only race they did this for last year as well. Numbers must be big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭hawkwing

I always look absolutely horrific in those pictures. I hate them! So off putting lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I always look absolutely horrific in those pictures. I hate them! So off putting lol.

Ya, they'd need to photoshop in some speed lines & motion blur to make me want to spend money on them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I always look absolutely horrific in those pictures
    Good! If you don't look horrific, you're probably not running hard enough :)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote:
    Good! If you don't look horrific, you're probably not running hard enough

?
    For once I look fantastic as am in running motion and smiling.
    Yes, have already been told that I should have gone faster. Oh well. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

aquinn wrote: »
    I look fantastic

Love the modesty.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

hawkwing wrote: »

The cheapest printed photo is €9.99! And the cheapest download for a single photo is €16.99!! :confused: Seems bizarre, if I wanted a memento, I could just a pal to stand there with a cameraphone. They'd do a better job, considering the lack of me in any of my photos.

vanderlyle wrote:
    The cheapest printed photo is €9.99! And the cheapest download for a single photo is €16.99!! Seems bizarre, if I wanted a memento, I could just a pal to stand there with a cameraphone. They'd do a better job, considering the lack of me in any of my photos.

They'll keep reminding you that you haven't purchased and eventually send you a discount code but yes, not reasonable.

Really glad I didn't fork out for the marathon photo pack. I did however splash out on the tag with your name/time for the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

HelenAnne wrote: »

Well done on the team result H... :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Yes well done Raheny.

MisterDrak wrote: »

I was DELIGHTED! Because I was 3rd scorer, I was afraid I might drag the whole team down out of the medals. Also, it was cool to get the senior medal when 3/4s of our team were Masters. Go, old people! :)

Dub13, good to meet you last night & well done on the PB!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

HelenAnne wrote:
    Dub13, good to meet you last night & well done on the PB!

Cheers, was a good night for it. I am enjoying them never raced such a short distance They seem to be helping as well as over the summer I have ran PB's in 5k, 5 mile, 10k & 10 mile so just the half left. No pressure.

• Advertisement

MisterDrak wrote: »

And well done you in the 10-mile!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Those Finisher pix are hilarious. How they can justify those prices is beyond me, especially when either they barely get your legs in the photo or you look hideous.

Are the free gifts the same every year? I really love my shaker! What did people get last year?

Pink11 wrote:
    Are the free gifts the same every year? I really love my shaker! What did people get last year?

No, the gifts are all different. 10km we got a drinking bottle, the half a hi-vis, 10 mile a wolly hat and can't remember 5 mile. I've only used the drink thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Auntie Matter

Got backpacks at the 5 miler last year. Mine was rubbish - the zip had broken by the time the shuttle bus got down to Parkgate Street.

I suspect that the shaker bottle from this year's 10 miler will get used as a cocktail shaker next time I have people around for drinks in my gaff!

Got backpacks at the 5 miler last year. Mine was rubbish - the zip had broken by the time the shuttle bus got down to Parkgate Street.

Oh the backpack! That's actually been great for races. That I do use.

I suspect that the shaker bottle from this year's 10 miler will get used as a cocktail shaker next time I have people around for drinks in my gaff!

I love the backpack! I use it all the time - you can run to a race with it on your back as it doesn't move about like the drawstring ones do. I actually wear the hat a lot too!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

aquinn wrote: »
    Oh the backpack! That's actually been great for races. That I do use.

See you all at the Half on the 19th, training is going well....and injury niggles are behaving themselves!!
    I also took the plunge and signed up for the DCM (#2) last week.....I am now eating, sleeping and breathing running. :eek:

Top tip for anyone struggling with sore joints (ankles/knees)......... after a long run or race, bring a clear air tight plastic bag with you to the pub, order a beer and ask the nice Bar Man to fill your plastic bag with ice and then tuck it into your sock (or loose knee support).
    Drink a cold beer or two and get some anti-inflammatory treatment at the same time...... Proof that you can have a social life while in heavy training.....
    This method also works well for the Off License/Fridge and the couch too.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

smashiner wrote: »
    See you all at the Half on the 19th, training is going well....and injury niggles are behaving themselves!!
    I also took the plunge and signed up for the DCM (#2) last week.....I am now eating, sleeping and breathing running. :eek:

Top tip for anyone struggling with sore joints (ankles/knees)......... after a long run or race, bring a clear air tight plastic bag with you to the pub, order a beer and ask the nice Bar Man to fill your plastic bag with ice and then tuck it into your sock (or loose knee support).
    Drink a cold beer or two and get some anti-inflammatory treatment at the same time...... Proof that you can have a social life while in heavy training.....
    This method also works well for the Off License/Fridge and the couch too.......:D

Do not ice for any longer than 15 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Do not ice for any longer than 15 mins

+1

A great icing method for calves/feet/ankles is to immerse in a bucket of iced water for 1 minute, then take out for 1 minute, repeating for a total of 20 mins. Gets to the places ice packs don't reach. Creates a few puddles but very effective.

Advertisement