Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSE Race Series 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Do not ice for any longer than 15 mins

Yeah, I find that the beer goes too watery after that....;).....oh you meant the ankle.....on a serious note, this sounds like good advice,why no more than 15 minutes for an injury to be iced??

Good call Bungy Girl too on the basin/bucket of iced water.....veeeerrry brave...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Hi all, bit of an embarrassing but necessary question: are there portaloos at any point on the half marathon route?
    Ever since having my baby last year my digestive system has not been cooperating with me once my mileage increases, I've been trying to amend this with diet especially in the days coming up my LSR, but as race day draws closer I'm starting to feel a bit panicky about having problems in this regard on the day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,626 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Cameoette wrote: »
    Hi all, bit of an embarrassing but necessary question: are there portaloos at any point on the half marathon route?
    Ever since having my baby last year my digestive system has not been cooperating with me once my mileage increases, I've been trying to amend this with diet especially in the days coming up my LSR, but as race day draws closer I'm starting to feel a bit panicky about having problems in this regard on the day :(
    AFAIK, the only toilets are near the start. However, the route passes the start point around mile 8 (and passes quite close to the start around mile 4/5). See: http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/race/dublin-half-marathon/

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Last year there were some portaloos just before the entrance to Farmleigh, about 5 miles into the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Deadly, thanks guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Groannnnnnnnnn! I just went to enter the Dublin HM to find that entry closed on Friday. I presume there's no alternative entry method? Anyone have any bright ideas? :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

wrstan wrote: »
    Groannnnnnnnnn! I just went to enter the Dublin HM to find that entry closed on Friday. I presume there's no alternative entry method? Anyone have any bright ideas? :mad::mad::mad:

On their FB page they are telling people to email raceseries@dublinmarathon.ie to see if there might be a space available ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Looks like I owe you one Meno! Thanks for responding so quickly. Will I see you there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Cameoette wrote: »

Hi Cameoette, snap :) I find not eating or grazing for several hours (up to 4) before a run or race helps. Invariably, if I don't stick to this, I have GI issues when either running or racing, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

From FB page:

If you have missed the SEE Airtricity Half Marathon please contact emily.barton@aware.ie or caitrionah@ms-socity.ie as they have a limited number of charity entries available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dublin9210

Signed up for the half,only ever ran the 5miler.Is the course the same as last year?

Dublin9210 wrote: »
    Signed up for the half,only ever ran the 5miler.Is the course the same as last year?

Hi Dub9210
    I did this HM last year and am also doing it again this year.....as far as I can tell from the race map it looks the same as last year.

Leave a little bit in the tank for the Upper Glen road (Chapelizod gate on)near the end as it is a big (ish) hill and it tends to catch a lot of people out.

Great race, well organised with water stations, pacers and decent goodie bag.....best of luck on the day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

smashiner wrote: »
    Hi Dub9210
    I did this HM last year and am also doing it again this year.....as far as I can tell from the race map it looks the same as last year.

Leave a little bit in the tank for the Upper Glen road (Chapelizod gate on)near the end as it is a big (ish) hill and it tends to catch a lot of people out.

Great race, well organised with water stations, pacers and decent goodie bag.....best of luck on the day ;)

Is the water in cups or bottles for this - I know it used to be bottles but not sure if that's changed

• Registered Users Posts: 37 banana_split

Race number arrived this morning...getting nervous now!
    Did the Rock & Roll half at the start of August, so will be interesting to compare to this one.

Getting nervous though, as I've had a niggly injury so my training hasn't been ideal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

kit3 wrote: »
    Is the water in cups or bottles for this - I know it used to be bottles but not sure if that's changed

Bottles for the half and Full

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Anybody from here doing pacing this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Think I might be out of the half. Got a nice case of what I think was food poisoning the weekend before last and it's messed me up with dehydration.

Gonna try and go for a run on Saturday morning to see how I get on, but I've been struggling to stay hydrated.....embarrassing way to end up not doing a race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

vanderlyle wrote: »
    Anybody from here doing pacing this year?
    They are all from boards bar 1 or 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

menoscemo wrote: »
    Bottles for the half and Full

Kind of thought there would be at least another 1 water station on the route. Could be warm enough and seems like 3 may not be enough. Ran the cork HM in June and remember at least 6 stations along the way.

I guess at least they are bottles but will have a friend with water bottles at strategic location for extra if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

smashiner wrote: »
    Hi Dub9210

Yeah that uphill was tough enough for me at the end of the 10 miler but will need to keep a bit left for end of the half. Strategic energy gel at 10.5-11 miles to set up for it I think.

• Advertisement

chris85 wrote:
    Yeah that uphill was tough enough for me at the end of the 10 miler but will need to keep a bit left for end of the half. Strategic energy gel at 10.5-11 miles to set up for it I think.

It's a different gate and hill is it not?

aquinn wrote: »

Hi AQ,
    Dunno if the 2 hills are the same as I never did the 10 Mile......the appearance money was too low and my agent turned it down ;)

Chris85, this hill starts at the Chapelizod gate at the side of the park and is a steady incline for a few minutes, it is more down to fact of where it is in the race.....near the end when people are tired.
    The good news is that when you get to the top of it, the last bit is flat to the finish line......best of luck ......might see you there, I am planning to pace it with a friend as his first HM and aiming for around 1:55- 2:00.

AQ, are you doing this one??.....if so see you there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

aquinn wrote: »

Same hill for both according to the maps. In Chapelizod gate, up the hill past St.Mary's and flat to the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Lads, its not K2 you're going up!! Its a hill, nothing you shouldn't have done in training and nothing that dramatic.

Yes its late in the race but if you've done the training and paced yourself right in the race, you'll be fine. Paced this race a couple of times and sensed people around us each year stressing about the hill a mile out and at the first sight of it, they drop out the back.

Its not that bad a hill but people have themselves defeated mentally because they hear about a hill and have made it into an awful thing - come marathon time, Fosters Avenue gets a similar rep and its not that tough really but its just where its on the course and when you get mentally tired.

There's fair worse hills in half marathons that I can name, like the ones in Bohermeen, Clonmel, Connemara and Larne and the Dublin half is great prep for the full.

If you can, find a road with a long uphill drag that's a mile long and run it before Saturday at a nice gentle pace. Then come Saturday you know you can run up the hill and you'll face it in a better frame of mind.

chinguetti wrote: »
    Lads, its not K2 you're going up!! Its a hill, nothing you shouldn't have done in training and nothing that dramatic.

Yes its late in the race but if you've done the training and paced yourself right in the race, you'll be fine. Paced this race a couple of times and sensed people around us each year stressing about the hill a mile out and at the first sight of it, they drop out the back.

Its not that bad a hill but people have themselves defeated mentally because they hear about a hill and have made it into an awful thing - come marathon time, Fosters Avenue gets a similar rep and its not that tough really but its just where its on the course and when you get mentally tired.

There's fair worse hills in half marathons that I can name, like the ones in Bohermeen, Clonmel, Connemara and Larne and the Dublin half is great prep for the full.

If you can, find a road with a long uphill drag that's a mile long and run it before Saturday at a nice gentle pace. Then come Saturday you know you can run up the hill and you'll face it in a better frame of mind.

+1 to that comment chinguetti. It is not too bad if people are sensible about it, last year a lot of people were going way too fast (IMO)for the mile or so leading up to it, went charging up the hill and ended up walking about halfway up. Just making the point that a 'sensible' strategy of running an even pace leading up to it will make for a better ending to your race and finish stronger ...with a smile as you pass a load of people that didn't ;)

chinguetti wrote: »

Ones to avoid so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Hello! I've actually done this race before, a few times, and I know the park pretty well, but I just can't remember what that extra loop around Farmleigh / OS road etc is like. Is it flat, a drag etc? Any route tips, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Hello! I've actually done this race before, a few times, and I know the park pretty well, but I just can't remember what that extra loop around Farmleigh / OS road etc is like. Is it flat, a drag etc? Any route tips, anyone?

I've recce'd this recently (as much as I could with the gate locked :rolleyes:). This section is net downhill. The section through Farmleigh is lovely (flat) then when you exit left at Tower Gate it's downhill all the way to the entrance back into the park after Mount Sackville. A very short barely noticeable uphill as you re-enter the park then downhill/flat to the start of OS road (flat).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    I've recce'd this recently (as much as I could with the gate locked :rolleyes:). This section is net downhill. The section through Farmleigh is lovely (flat) then when you exit left at Tower Gate it's downhill all the way to the entrance back into the park after Mount Sackville. A very short barely noticeable uphill as you re-enter the park then downhill/flat to the start of OS road (flat).

Brill! Thank you! I'm not opposed to hills, but I found sort of mapping the route and the effort levels needed at various points helped me a lot in the ten-miler. thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Psychosis

Hi guys,

Does anyone know the situation with bike parking for the half marathon on Saturday? Where it is exactly and if there is usually enough space

The website just says close to the start area :(

Advertisement