Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocnut Oil for Dogs

• 26-02-2015 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

I was reading about the benefits of coconut oil for skin. My dog suffers from unknown skin flare ups (countless vet trips, allergy tests, parasite tests, sleeps in beds with bin bags on blankets etc), dunno what's causing it.

Anyway should I give it to her orally in food or rub it into her skin. At the moment she does not have a flare up as her skin is pink and not itchy or anything. Hair has never grown back since first attack.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Give it in her food, about a large teaspoon per 10 lbs bodyweight, introduce it gradually to allow her system to adjust. You can put it on irritated skin too. I swear by it have been giving it to my dogs for years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I give it to them mixed with peanut butter in their morning kong and have used it topically too. What do you feed your dog as skin problems are often diet related?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I gave a spoon of coconut oil in my elderly dogs food too. He like yours OP had a skin issue that we could never resolve despite countless tests/different vets etc. Definately worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Great thanks, I'll introduce it slowly to her. I feed her Lukullus Beef and Trout. Nothing works. Though she doesn't seem to have an outbreak when the weather is warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

It might help - worth a try. My poor old chap endured years of itching which flared up with no apparent cause. We tried everything. Several vets did many tests and scrapings, never found a cause or identified any obvious reason.

Eventually reduced his diet to home cooked only, added coconut oil, and the itching was really pretty much gone. We had also used a product called Bionic Biotic which really seemed to make a difference (our supplier stopped selling it so we stopped using it and the itch didnt return) Have a look at:

http://poochandmutt.co.uk/product/bionic-biotic-supplement-for-digestion-skin-coat-and-condition/

• Advertisement
Advertisement