Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4g in donegal

Options
  • 26-02-2015 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I got a 4g phone just recently and can't believe the differences in places. I was in Derrybeg today and got 16 mb down but I only get 4 in letterkenny. Anybody else get strange results around the county at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

there's 4g in Donegal already? I cont mean to sound rude, but I can't even get decent internet in roscommon never mind 4g.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,626 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I didn't know Donegal could get 4G, I thought large sections of the county were struggling to get 3G !!

As someone who has a landline of 3mb, I would love 16mb speeds. Is this Meteor?

Tell me this, is there any way of using a 4G mobile phone as your internet hub in the house, surfing on your laptop via the mobile? (is it called tethering?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Pique

There is, by creating a hotspot using your phone. However, most mobile contracts prohibit this, and the provider can identify if you are tethering and there's no way to hide it.

You might get away with it, but you might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

I was using an iphone 5s on three.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

By chance I was on meteors website looking at coverage today. Accurate map showing no coverage, 2/3/4g and breaking them up into high/low quality.

Letterkenny and roughly a 10km circle, maybe 15-20km on the northern side was the only area showing 4g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

jazyguy wrote: »
    I was using an iphone 5s on three.

I was going to change to Three from Meteor. The guy in the store said Three have 4g in Donegal now. One of the places is Doochary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

4G (with Three) in Letterkenny is very hit and miss. I work within a stones throw of the mast but can't get 4G while at work but can get it in the Kiltoy area no problem. Maybe the 4G signal isn't coming from the Garda station mast and that's why but not sure. Anyone know which transmitter they're using or are there several?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

4G (with Three) in Letterkenny is very hit and miss. I work within a stones throw of the mast but can't get 4G while at work but can get it in the Kiltoy area no problem. Maybe the 4G signal isn't coming from the Garda station mast and that's why but not sure. Anyone know which transmitter they're using or are there several?

I can't say for sure, but looking at the coverage map it may be centred on the transmitter at the substation at the top of Lurgybrack.

The Ballybofey one seems to be the mast on Gorey hill out the Glenfin Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

NIMAN wrote: »
    I didn't know Donegal could get 4G, I thought large sections of the county were struggling to get 3G !!

As someone who has a landline of 3mb, I would love 16mb speeds. Is this Meteor?

Tell me this, is there any way of using a 4G mobile phone as your internet hub in the house, surfing on your laptop via the mobile? (is it called tethering?)
    Pique wrote: »
    There is, by creating a hotspot using your phone. However, most mobile contracts prohibit this, and the provider can identify if you are tethering and there's no way to hide it.

You might get away with it, but you might not.

Tesco Mobile allow you to tether but I don't think they have 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭fooker!

I have 4G near Gleneely, it was pretty good at the start but like most things the more people that subscribe to it the slower its getting at peak times! still usable though just not on YouTube or the PlayStation unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Parts of Donegal I can barely get 3g.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Don't worry about tethering on Three, they don't care, I've used it as my main connection multiple times down in Galway with several people connected to my phone, zero problems, high speed, YouTube, torrents etc all perfect. Also Three is truly unlimited, I've gone way over their reccomended usage loads of times and nothing happens, Meteor cut you off the instant you hit 5 gb in a month.

Advertisement