Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where can I buy a new / used garden auger or small post hole drill

• 26-02-2015 1:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭

Lads, I have enquired and looked in quote a few places but cannot find one of these.
    Need a manual type with a T handle that could take out a core - anywhere in size from 3 to 6 inches diameter would do. Important to say its a non- engine type it am looking for.
    Reckon it could have many uses, incl bareroot tree planting.
    Have seen these in England and US but so far not here.

Appreciate any leads or contacts ye may have.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Loads on ebay and Amazon, just search for post auger. Or if these are not what you want, do you have any pics?
    Here's a decent one on amazon with free delivery - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-24414-1050mm-Fence-Auger/dp/B00D847FYY/

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Supercell wrote: »
    Loads on ebay and Amazon, just search for post auger. Or if these are not what you want, do you have any pics?
    Here's a decent one on amazon with free delivery - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-24414-1050mm-Fence-Auger/dp/B00D847FYY/

That's the one Supercell, thanks kindly for link. I quite like Draper stuff in general.
    And you are quite right, it is free delivery on super saver for orders over 25 Pounds to here in Ireland.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Have you tried any of the Hire Shops, from time to time they sell off ex-hire stock?

If you plan to do plenty of planting, a troll powered Stihl Auger is a great tool. The alternative manual augers are surely more suitable for occasional use?

Supercell wrote: »

Ordered the Draper on Sat night, delivered this morn , Tuesday via std mail.
    That is pretty impressive service from Amazon Uk.

Will let ye know how it performs on a few pilot holes.

Thanks lads for info. Will keep the off- hire sales in mind if need to go more heavy duty. This should be ok for 20~30 bareroot plants hopefully.

Here's a pix as delivered by parcel post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭rje66

Ordered the Draper on Sat night, delivered this morn , Tuesday via std mail.
    That is pretty impressive service from Amazon Uk.

Will let ye know how it performs on a few pilot holes.

Thanks lads for info. Will keep the off- hire sales in mind if need to go more heavy duty. This should be ok for 20~30 bareroot plants hopefully.

Eat plenty of porridge and have a spade handy, just in case!!!!

rje66 wrote: »
    Eat plenty of porridge and have a spade handy, just in case!!!!

Haw- haw RJE66, no doubt will have a good bowl of gruel and a proper fry-up of "hairy eggs and bacon" before starting out.

As a young lad, was all too familiar with operating / propelling the old 1RB alright but at this age, was hoping to use the appliance of science, hence interest in trying out the auger.
    First thing is run a 4ft broom handle through that sliding T handle to get some proper " torque on my fork" !
    :p
    MofA

Would this be good for planting bare root hedging like hornbeam. I have a wet heavy soil area next to a field that I cannot seam to dry to plant anything. Was going to put some hornbeam in. Maybe use this instead of digging a trench and back filling

Would this be good for planting bare root hedging like hornbeam. I have a wet heavy soil area next to a field that I cannot seam to dry to plant anything. Was going to put some hornbeam in. Maybe use this instead of digging a trench and back filling

Hi Suresanders, I would not be the best to advise you for heavy soils/ drainage of / suitability for hornbeam etc- some of the real experts on here may address that ,lads like ' looksee, sonnenblumen and others'.

The good thing about your rich clay or loamy soil, if there are no stones or roots much, is that the auger will go straight down - it's 6" diameter from top to 1ft down or however deep you wish. There is no " mission creep" as happens with a spade or shovel where you end up with a 1~2 ft wide mess up top tapering down to arrive at your desired 6 inch diameter hole at desired depth originally.

I tried a few holes this pm using a broom handle for leverage- it's simply excellent! Use it a bit like a tap and die in metal thread cutting - 2 step fwd and 1 step back to keep the flutes clear. It ripped through some 1/2 inch bramble or gorse roots encountered on way down & dislodged stones too with relative ease, of course with my rasher & sausages empowered torque!;)

Advertisement