Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA for next year if I work over the summer?

Options
  • 26-02-2015 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi,
    Hope someone might be able to answer this one am getting conflicting advice.
    Currently on BTEA doing a fetac leval 6.
    Have a place for next year on a leval 8.
    am working PT now and would hope to be still working with this company when I start degree and over the summer.
    If I do this will I adversely effect BTEA for next year?
    What way does it work, so confused Help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hmm, that could be a bit tricky depending on who you talk to in DSP. Maybe run it past your local Intreo office?

On the one hand you are still progressing in education so they might treat you as they would if you were moving between years of a course in which case you could work for the summer and come back with your BTEA entitlement intact.

However as its a new course and at third level instead of further education you would probably need to meet the requirements of 234 days on a DSP payment and have an entitlement to one immediately before you start the course. In which case the time you spent on BTEA for your level 6 course would count towards the 234 days but you may need to have some form of DSP payment for the summer, even if its x's and O's. You would also ideally need to have at least one full week on Jobseekers immediately before your course starts as its this that usually establishes your rate of BTEA.

It would really be up to the BTEA deciding officer in whatever Intro office covers your location to make a decision. If you call into your local DSP office they should be able to give you contact details.

Not much help I know.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

Thing is I have spoken to the local office and have gotten two different answers, it's crazy but to find information online all I can find are conflicting opinions with no comment by someone who has actually done it. The Third level course would be a natural progression from the one I have just done(well almost lol). Thanks Paperclip for answering

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You could try BTEA head office in Carrick on Shannon:
    (1890)927999
    They might be able to help

Advertisement