Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late night roadwork at O'connell bridge

Options
  • 26-02-2015 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Is anyone else being kept awake by the loud noise from the roadwork?

They have been going on for weeks now, usually stopping at 2am. But tonight they are still going strong past 3am

Are there no laws regarding noise at this level? We're talking power drilling and some loud saw being used.

Super annoying when you need to be up in 4 hours again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

That's city living for you. I'd rather it be overnight than during the day where far more people are inconvenienced. Glad to see that the city is doing more works at nighttime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Last year when I was in the Rotunda hospital just after giving birth the road works for the LUAS were at the top of O'Connel St and Parnell St, they went on for two nights. Nobody on the ward I was on got any sleep whatsoever for those two nights. Was fun looking after a newborn after a c-section and no sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Lazio wrote: »
    Is anyone else being kept awake by the loud noise from the roadwork?

They have been going on for weeks now, usually stopping at 2am. But tonight they are still going strong past 3am

Are there no laws regarding noise at this level? We're talking power drilling and some loud saw being used.

Super annoying when you need to be up in 4 hours again.
    There are general laws, but they would have applied for exemption to those rules - you would have had an opportunity to go at the planning permission stage to voice your objection.

At the end of the day it's the city centre, we need infrastructure such as trams and it's far more convenient to the vast majority of the city-dwellers for the work to go on at night.

I just hate to tell you that the planned works aren't going to conclude for at least another year. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

January wrote: »
    Last year when I was in the Rotunda hospital just after giving birth the road works for the LUAS were at the top of O'Connel St and Parnell St, they went on for two nights. Nobody on the ward I was on got any sleep whatsoever for those two nights. Was fun looking after a newborn after a c-section and no sleep.

The world doesn't stop because people have babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Zhane wrote: »
    The world doesn't stop because people have babies.

I never said that actually did I? I just stated that we got no sleep. I wasn't actually complaining so keep your smart comments to your self.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Lazio

Yeah can see why it's convenient to have this done during the night, for minimal impact. You just don't think that far when you're tired and annoyed.

A year though? I guess I need to invest in some good earplugs...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

It'll be on and off there for the next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Unfortunately has people pointed out they're inconveniencing far less people by doing them at night. Unfortunately you happen to be one of these people.

Hefty earplugs might help somewhat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭frankoreagan

You get used to the noise. Lived beside Newlands Cross during the first few months of construction of the new flyover (night-work started at 10pm and didn't finish til near 4am) which was rough on sleep for a week or so, but it just becomes normal after a while.

Always found ear plugs very irritating too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

My mother lives right at the five lamps. I was visiting her a couple of weeks ago and had to ask her how she sleeps with the noise. Her answer was what noise!. You do get used to city living

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Borderline personal needling post with no value to the discussion removed. Next one risks earning a sanction.

Advertisement