Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Agri student wage?

• 26-02-2015 6:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

What wage do agri students on work placement get?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

They'd be doing well to be getting paid at all.

I had to do placement while in college. We were laughed at when asked what the employers would be paying. Bear in mind though that this was civil engineer sector in 2009/2010.

They'd want to be fed at least though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Feckthis wrote: »
    What wage do agri students on work placement get?

Abuse and hardship mainly...

AP2014 wrote: »

The most important lesson you'll learn on placement is that you shouldn't become an actual farmer. If you've an interest in agriculture be a consultant, researcher, whatever. Those jobs won't give you a bad back or kill you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

We pay €400 a week into hand and no grub or accommodation for a good guy.

**** guy gets min hrs and I think €150 per week.

Students on good farms should glad to be getting experience and perhaps the payment should be reversed if you get a donkey. Guy here 2 yrs ago did €11k worth of damage to loader in one go, no come back we had to cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

We pay €400 a week into hand and no grub or accommodation for a good guy.

**** guy gets min hrs and I think €150 per week.

Students on good farms should glad to be getting experience and perhaps the payment should be reversed if you get a donkey. Guy here 2 yrs ago did €11k worth of damage to loader in one go, no come back we had to cover
    Oh Lordy. What happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Couldnt agree more!

farming93 wrote: »
    Couldnt agree more!

Ye had to do a bit and couldn't run in for a cuppa or you were on placement with a dick?

Oh Lordy. What happened?

Reversed loader into back corner of parked bale trailer, must been flat out.

Cracked counterweight, destroyed grill, bonnet, inter cooler, rad, fan, turbo, alternator and more

FBD paid out but off my ins not his or the people who placed him

I think you should have known better than to allow some inexperienced young lad to operate a machine like that. most are not mature enough to do it responsibly and are more concerned with showing off their "skills".

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Ye had to do a bit and couldn't run in for a cuppa or you were on placement with a dick?

Done two placements, my first placement I might of well have been doing Horticulture. I wouldnt have been the most experienced on Machinery so spent all my time lambing ewes (which I enjoyed), picking stones, chopping sticks and cleaning the farmers garden and I was also asked to pick weeds out of a pond when the farmer really started runnig out of work for me. Second placement the man was a great farmer just a pure dick. I went working on a Dairy farm after college and im confident of working on most machinery now the owner and farm manager were two gents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I think you should have known better than to allow some inexperienced young lad to operate a machine like that. most are not mature enough to do it responsibly and are more concerned with showing off their "skills".
    young lads tell you they can do everything, very hard to guage what level a person is at. Everyone differs.

That's one of the many reasons we've no students now nor will again. Have to say its a pity because any that showed any bit of bejesus got on well and got a great training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

That's one of the many reasons we've no students now nor will again. Have to say its a pity because any that showed any bit of bejesus got on well and got a great training

Its like that in every industry though. We take in students here and had some great experiences and one that I wanted to run away. never as delighted to see the back of them.

Totally agree but this guy put his hand up for responsibility and rewarded me by being a careless little prick.

All I could think after was that if someone was on the ground near him......God only knows

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Jaysus no wasn't myself on placement, thank feck I went straight from college to public service job, don't have to leave the office for tea. I do to stretch the legs every now and then. Yes I know how lucky I am and am grateful :D

I only get the hands dirty at the wkds doing abit of a*se boxin on the farm.

Neighbour had a student on placement, had him out pulling docks all hours of the day in fields. Used to shout abuse at him in front of neighbours. Ignorant fecker should have been done for employee abuse.

Have to say your wage of €400 a week into the hand is great money for a student as long as hours are somewhat reasonable.

Jaysus no wasn't myself on placement, thank feck I went straight from college to public service job, don't have to leave the office for tea. I do to stretch the legs every now and then. Yes I know how lucky I am and am grateful :D

I only get the hands dirty at the wkds doing abit of a*se boxin on the farm.

Neighbour had a student on placement, had him out pulling docks all hours of the day in fields. Used to shout abuse at him in front of neighbours. Ignorant fecker should have been done for employee abuse.

Have to say your wage of €400 a week into the hand is great money for a student as long as hours are somewhat reasonable.

Hrs 8-6 no Sunday and 1 Sat in 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Cracked counterweight, destroyed grill, bonnet, inter cooler, rad, fan, turbo, alternator and more

Ffs sake frazz I said i was sorry the missus was sexting me at the time I got distracted........school boy error

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Jaysus

Totally agree but this guy put his hand up for responsibility and rewarded me by being a careless little prick.

All I could think after was that if someone was on the ground near him......God only knows

You should have a read of the the farm safety thread going here atm. I rant at length about young fellas being allowed to drive all sorts of heavy machinery that they have no training for and no little or no understanding of.

I dread silage season around my area - 16/17 year olds whizzing around in 40 and 50 k machines with no concept of danger or what could go wrong. It's all a competition of showing off how hard you can fling the tractors down the boreens. One year there was a head on crash between an MB trac and an SQ2 type JD -- both driven by young pups. And working for a guy who's also known to be a liability on the road. Since my youth, my parents warned be to slow down and give a wide berth passing his gates as he has a habit of just shooting out onto the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Hrs 8-6 no Sunday and 1 Sat in 3

Can't fault that anyway. I think the standard is €122 for a day from 9-5 or equivalent and then up to you and the student for hours after that. I dread to think how some of the lads in my class are getting on and then I also know of other lads that would be brilliant.

• Advertisement

Sure outside of placement it's pretty standard for labourers to work 7 days, often doing 12 hours or more. My brother used do it for €65 per day. Its something like €5 an hour.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Jaysus

Was so bad I didn't even give out i actually didn't know what to say besides the obvious. Sent him to house for cuppa in case I killed him and to give me a few minutes alone time :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

3 mnth student gets 125 for his 35 hr wk, any hrs over this he gets €10/hr and I feed them aswell. Had a v good student last yr, this yrs guy not so good, has no interest in farming, or learning.

3 mnth student gets 125 for his 35 hr wk, any hrs over this he gets €10/hr and I feed them aswell. Had a v good student last yr, this yrs guy not so good, has no interest in farming, or learning.

DSW, you'd be as well to show him/her the road. We all worry we won't get another if we rock the boat. You'll get as much thanks.

Some of the farmers getting students is truly shocking evidenced by some of the experiences posted here

A good mature guy at €120 a day is much better value IMO

DSW, you'd be as well to show him/her the road. We all worry we won't get another if we rock the boat. You'll get as much thanks.

Some of the farmers getting students is truly shocking evidenced by some of the experiences posted here

A good mature guy at €120 a day is much better value IMO

Not too worried about being dropped as a host farmer, think I'm the only one out my neck of the woods, so they need me. Don't think I'll show him the road either though, baby expected here in the nxt 10 days or so, so any help will be appreciated. And don't bother saying its a badly planned date for an all spring calving farm to be having a baby, I know that now, obviously wasn't thinking about it then!!

Not too worried about being dropped as a host farmer, think I'm the only one out my neck of the woods, so they need me. Don't think I'll show him the road either though, baby expected here in the nxt 10 days or so, so any help will be appreciated. And don't bother saying its a badly planned date for an all spring calving farm to be having a baby, I know that now, obviously wasn't thinking about it then!!

You know the Billy Connolly story about being told to pull out "I kept telling my arse to stop but it told me to phuck off"

All the best no 2?

You know the Billy Connolly story about being told to pull out "I kept telling my arse to stop but it told me to phuck off"

All the best no 2?

Thanx, no 3, she's thinking of closing the factory, but I'm more of a 'if the road is straight, drive on' type of guy! Might think different in a few wks time!

Thanx, no 3, she's thinking of closing the factory, but I'm more of a 'if the road is straight, drive on' type of guy! Might think different in a few wks time!

Stay firing while there's game in the wood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Thanx, no 3, she's thinking of closing the factory,

Ah ffs, I don't know if I want to thump you or thank you. Maybe both! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 MrMuscles96

From september to december last year i was getting 122 euro for a 45 hour a week dinner included.

From september to december last year i was getting 122 euro for a 45 hour a week dinner included.

Were you learning?

Were you learning?

Got abit of experience on a digger and he was finishing a few bulls which we wouldn't do at home.. apart from that no not really.

Got abit of experience on a digger and he was finishing a few bulls which we wouldn't do at home.. apart from that no not really.

Waste of time so

Waste of time so

Has to be done tho. I think if you don't do the work placement you fail the course, doing the theory in college at the minute... heads up to anyone doing their workplacement and are starting a drystock management course, you will have to do a presentation on your work placement infront of the class so filling in the book will help you in the long run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

The problem is you can't really depend on getting a good student, ie if you have work for him/her to justify paying something decent and get a poor one you're frigged, likewise if you don't have work and get a good one you can't pay him/her what they're worth.
    so I don't bother with them here, so just get well set up and plough on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

I used to take students but stopped. One very good girl student that still keeps in touch. Other than that I had lads that just wanted driving and a holiday at my expense. They didn't want to learn anything about stock. The next generation of farmers might have a very rounded education with computers and systems etc but I think stockmanship is a dying art. In fifteen years time will farmers know if an animal is sick if the mobile phone doesn't text them to tell them so?

Taking on students is a risk.

Why can't they use their own home farms for placement?

I don't see why this wouldn't work as I'd imagine the number of ag students who don't come from a farm is tiny.

When we talk of these placements, are we talking about fellas doing "green cert" type courses who are going into farming themselves or is it fellas doing degree courses who are aiming at more reserach/consulting type careers? or both?

I don't see why this wouldn't work as I'd imagine the number of ag students who don't come from a farm is tiny.

A placement is supposed to open ur eyes to new ways of doing things, it's also good for social interaction. Most students who go home after their 3 mnths will never work Anywhere or for anyone else again. It teaches them a little things like time keeping etc, which is ironic as my student hasn't turned up yet today!

rangler1 wrote: »
    The problem is you can't really depend on getting a good student, ie if you have work for him/her to justify paying something decent and get a poor one you're frigged, likewise if you don't have work and get a good one you can't pay him/her what they're worth.
    so I don't bother with them here, so just get well set up and plough on

Totally agree +1

When we talk of these placements, are we talking about fellas doing "green cert" type courses who are going into farming themselves or is it fellas doing degree courses who are aiming at more reserach/consulting type careers? or both?
    I have rang a few times looking for a student, feel they would learn something here and my dad had students over the years also. Was first told they would be interested as i am winter milk etc, never heard anything more back and have rang a few times since. Have said it here before most of the people i know who take in students treat them like crap.

• Advertisement

What age are most of these students?

The reason I ask is that if a 17 yr old student goes on placement is there not huge child protection legislation that kicks is like it does in other places like clubs and so on.
    Would sponsors have to be garda vetted and so on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I'd be hoping they would look for a different place to their own in order to get a broader range of experiences in the agri industry. If I had to look for a placement right now, I'd either try for dairy or sheep as I know feck all about them and would feel that it would be more challenging & fun than if I were to go to a different suckler farm.
    I'd get bored very quickly if I had to stay on this farm here; it's too small & I already know everything that's done here backwards so I'd be learning nothing new.

whelan2 wrote: »
    I have rang a few times looking for a student, feel they would learn something here and my dad had students over the years also. Was first told they would be interested as i am winter milk etc, never heard anything more back and have rang a few times since. Have said it here before most of the people i know who take in students treat them like crap.

That's a sweeping statement. Last student here asked if he could stay and continue working after his 3 mnths were finished, can't have been that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

That's a sweeping statement. Last student here asked if he could stay and continue working after his 3 mnths were finished, can't have been that bad.

There's good and bad master farmers , same as there's good and bad students, definitely some students are used as cheap labour

i know there are some sound host farmers but when you see people treating the student like crap and continuosly getting students it is a bit of a sickner. Anyways from reading other posts on here the whole placement system needs a total revamp, to expect a host farmer to pay for damages done to the level of frazzledhome's damage is just madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    i know there are some sound host farmers but when you see people treating the student like crap and continuosly getting students it is a bit of a sickner. Anyways from reading other posts on here the whole placement system needs a total revamp, to expect a host farmer to pay for damages done to the level of frazzledhome's damage is just madness
    There should be some sort of insurance in place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Ffs sake frazz I said i was sorry the missus was sexting me at the time I got distracted........school boy error

who's missus
    Reggie. wrote: »
    There should be some sort of insurance in place

How long would it last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

How long would it last

How you mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Reggie. wrote: »
    How you mean

First off it would cover the careless as well as the not so careless student. The other issue is how could you be sure it would not be abused by a farmer where damage was done and he either talked the student into accepting responsibility or blamed the student know that a claim off this policy would have no implications for him.

I doubt if any insurance company would take on same ans such a policy would be expensive to buy. I understand the issue but can see where it would fall apart.

What sort of insurance do FRS have for its operators or do they have any?

• Advertisement
Advertisement