Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

importing bike from china

• 26-02-2015 8:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Has anybody imported their bike from China?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Would not say there would be many doing that TBH, sure the hassle of even getting VRT done on a bike in this country is a joke never mind importing from the land of the rising sun or whatever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Google European whole vehicle type approval before you do anything.
    Its a minefield, and TBH a waste of time trying to privately import a bike from China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Would not say there would be many doing that TBH, sure the hassle of even getting VRT done on a bike in this country is a joke never mind importing from the land of the rising sun or whatever!

Sorry should have mentioned that its not a road bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Don't buy a Chinese Dirtbike. There are lots of good quality Japanese and European bikes here for very little money.
    Chinese stuff is built down to a price, once you start to wear things out then you will find that the cost has been cut by cheap fasteners and lightweight wiring. When parts fail they may be unavailable when you need them or simply unavailable full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

househero wrote: »
    Sorry should have mentioned that its not a road bike.

Their road bikes are barely up to our standards and they are EU approved, I can't imagine what a bike not built for the EU market would be like.

An off road bike won't be a saving on an known brand here, as where will you get consumables and spares? Even the road bike franchise holders in the UK have only recently got their back up services up to the level we expect. Have a look at the many threads here about Chinese quads, which were "officially" imported, to see how much trouble they are

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Their road bikes are barely up to our standards and they are EU approved, I can't imagine what a bike not built for the EU market would be like.

An off road bike won't be a saving on an known brand here, as where will you get consumables and spares? Even the road bike franchise holders in the UK have only recently got their back up services up to the level we expect. Have a look at the many threads here about Chinese quads, which were "officially" imported, to see how much trouble they are

Thanks for your opinion.

I know for a fact the Chinese bikes imported officially are lumps of crap often with exworks prices of under €100. They are then sold for €800 - €1500 to idiots.

I went to shenzen in October visited the factory and rode the bikes which was of a very good standard. This was under the pretence of me ordering a container load. Which I won't be doing. I'm ordering a 'sample' of 3 bikes and I need to take care of all the related shipping and import charges.

I'm not looking for advice on weather I should import a bike, I want to hear about peoples experience of importing a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Thanks for your opinion.

I know for a fact the Chinese bikes imported officially are lumps of crap often with exworks prices of under €100. They are then sold for €800 - €1500 to idiots.

I went to shenzen in October visited the factory and rode the bikes which was of a very good standard. This was under the pretence of me ordering a container load. Which I won't be doing. I'm ordering a 'sample' of 3 bikes and I need to take care of all the related shipping and import charges.

I'm not looking for advice on weather I should import a bike, I want to hear about peoples experience of importing a bike.

in fairness it might have been better to include all of that in your original post as opposed to ...
    Has anybody imported their bike from China?

Anyways I've only ever heard of people Importing from UK and some parts of Europe. If your doing it as a commercial venture as opposed to a private one, would it not make more sense to order the container full ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks for your opinion.

That would have been a better opening post.

If the bike isn't for road use then all you do is open the container in a private yard and unload, what else do you need to know?

Del2005 wrote: »
    That would have been a better opening post.

If the bike isn't for road use then all you do is open the container in a private yard and unload, what else do you need to know?

If I had 3 bikes in a fcl it would be few thousand in shipping.

OK, it would be good if someone who had actually imported a bike replied. As the original questions says... has anybody imported a bike from china?

I wanted to know about customs, part container load shipping, devannig, duty and the import paperwork.its for private use, but there would be no way they would have shown me around the factory if I had told them that, I was in the area for another business meeting and after wanting to import one of these bikes for a while it was all too easy to set up a meeting with them. Very friendly people.but the minimum sample order is 3 bikes and I have to organise shipping either on an ex works or onboard basis

If all goes well I'll post a guide on how to do it yourself u here, as there is very little information on it at all. But I really need to talk to somebody who has some experience of doing this and not opinions from people who are less aware of how to import from outside Europe.

Advertisement