Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know.....RJM85

Options
  • 26-02-2015 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Thank-you all for questions. It is now time for me to handover to RJM85.

A few to get him started:

Max push -ups in a min?
    Goals for 2015?
    Money no object ideal hols?
    Priority. new car vs new bike?
    Your getting some good hours training in. How's the whole family/work/training balance working for you?

Enjoy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Was that you on Tuesday with the earphones in and white top?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

What was your route into tri??

Current bike set up?? Dream bike set up??

Any races that you would love to do??

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Max push -ups in a min?
    Long time since I did any push ups. Very very few!

Goals for 2015?
    Sub 4:30 in Budapest 70.3

Money no object ideal hols?
    1. I'd love to do a training camp holiday.
    2. I'd do my honeymoon in Gran Canaria again in a heartbeat.

Priority. new car vs new bike?
    Bike. hands down.

Your getting some good hours training in. How's the whole family/work/training balance working for you?
    We're not doing too bad! I try as much as possible to train at times I won't be missed - that means 5am starts midweek, lunch time running and late night turbos. To a certain extent, having a commute to work kind of helps. Also, routine helps I suppose. I try my best to be 100% there when I am home too.

tunney wrote: »
    Was that you on Tuesday with the earphones in and white top?

That's me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

RJM85 wrote: »
    That's me.

You were moving alright.

Do you have kids? If so what ages?

Married? If so how long married? And does your BH train/race?

• Advertisement

What was your route into tri??
    Overweight since I can remember, was approaching morbidly obese age 25. Decided to start walking to lose some weight; started running; started cycling...

Current bike set up?? Dream bike set up??
    TT: Vitus Chrono TT with Flo 90 Front and Disc (pic). I'm looking at maybe getting myself a Canyon Speedmax next year if I can afford / justify / get away with it.

Road: Canyon Ultimate AL. I'd love a Bianchi Oltre.

Truth be told I really like looking at really nice bikes.

Any races that you would love to do??
    Not specifically. Some day when I have the time to do it right I'd love to go long. I'd love to do Kona.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

How are you finding the flo wheels?? Remember how much you paid in taxes to get them into the country? They are on my list of wheels that I'd like but haven't seen many in Ireland.

Seems we have a similar taste in bikes too, love that Bianchi!

Do you have kids? If so what ages?
    1 boy, coming up on 10 months.

Married? If so how long married? And does your BH train/race?
    Yes - 4 years in May. She does a bit of running with a friend. More the 'keeping active and getting out and about for your mental health' kind of thing than my chronic competitiveness. She has less inferiority complexes than me.

joey100 wrote: »
    How are you finding the flo wheels?? Remember how much you paid in taxes to get them into the country? They are on my list of wheels that I'd like but haven't seen many in Ireland.

Seems we have a similar taste in bikes too, love that Bianchi!

Total cost for the set was roughly €1,100. I love them, though I've not had much experience with top end wheels they roll really well, feel good, look good, and make a lovely whooshing noise - exactly what I was looking for from a set of wheels!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Overweight since I can remember, was approaching morbidly obese age 25.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your max weight and what do you weigh now? Height?

• Advertisement

EC1000 wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, what was your max weight and what do you weigh now? Height?

I was a little over 17.5 stone. Currently 11ish. 5ft 11

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

/\/\/\/\/\/\
    Wow well done

How long can you hold a plank for to fail?
    Something you have done with reckless abandon?
    How did you meet your wife?
    What made you last laugh out loud?
    What made you last cry?
    Which discipline have you developed most and how?
    Why Tri?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

That's some weight loss - well done!

Now let me copy and paste my stock questions from last year!

Favourite movie?
    Favourite scene from a movie?
    Favourite Movie character and why?
    Favourite book?
    Why Budapest 70.3?
    Favourite Tri distance?
    Favourite Triathlete?
    Does the wife prefer the more laidback fat you or the driven slim you?
    What time are you getting to bed at, I do the early morning sessions as well but not quite 5am starts, still struggling to shut down before 11 and it catches up on me towards the end of the week

How long can you hold a plank for to fail?
    Not sure - I'll have to check!

Something you have done with reckless abandon?
    Eat

How did you meet your wife?
    Met in secondary school through a guy in my class who was goin out with her sister.

What made you last laugh out loud?
    Just now; having fun with the little fella giving him a bath.

What made you last cry?
    Not sure. I welled up seeing my son born is probably the last time.

Which discipline have you developed most and how?
    I suppose there'd have to be a caveat of 'since when' on this answer. When I started running I tried to do a C25K programme but couldn't actually run for a minute to start. I could swim as a kid, but it would have been by far my weakest discipline last year. I seem to have made good gains over the winter.

Why Tri?
    God knows! I'm not very good at bike racing cause I like to just go balls out from the start. I enjoy running, but not enough to only run and same for swimming.

Because it's an honest sport I guess. You get out what you put in to a large extent.

Favourite movie?
    Not a great one for films. Probably Back To The Future I suppose.

Favourite scene from a movie?
    No idea.

Favourite Movie character and why?

Favourite book?
    100 Years of Solitude

Why Budapest 70.3?
    I wanted to do a half and my wife had fairly recently said she'd like to go to Hungary!

Favourite Tri distance?
    I've only done sprint and oly so far. Enjoyed oly more.

Favourite Triathlete?
    There's something about a guy who can kill a bike leg. Like Keinle. Otherwise I've a huge amount of respect for some of the top level AGers like Owen Martin, Liam Dolan, Alan Ryan etc.

Does the wife prefer the more laidback fat you or the driven slim you?
    I'm not sure it'd be correct to say I used to be more laid back. I was just fatter. Either way I think she'd prefer me with a bit more meat on.

What time are you getting to bed at, I do the early morning sessions as well but not quite 5am starts, still struggling to shut down before 11 and it catches up on me towards the end of the week

I /try/ to get to bed at 10 most week nights. That usually means I'm there by 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

+1 on weight loss,

ideal place to go for a swim, bike, run
    whats playing on your playlist at the moment
    Favorite concert
    how many bikes do you own
    how many burpees in a minute

ideal place to go for a swim, bike, run
    Swim: I always think those pictures of outdoor lane pools in the sun look awesome.
    Bike: for my birthday most years I usually spend a couple of hours cycling the Cooley mountains. So there, on a sunny day.
    Run: I really enjoy trail running but rarely get te time to do any.

whats playing on your playlist at the moment
    Most recently listened to albums in no particular order:
    Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass
    Dutch Uncles - O Shudder
    The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation
    Jape - This Chemical Sea
    Dan Deacon - Bromst

Favorite concert
    Much prefer smaller gigs than big concerts. Can I pick three??! Jape is amazing live - I saw him in the spirit store in Dundalk a few years ago and loved it. For slightly different reasons, seeing F*ck Buttons at the Button Factory was one of the best gigs I've been at. Both times I've seen Deerhunter were great too.

how many bikes do you own
    3. Or 2 1/2 I guess. TT, road, and another old road bike that I've used for spare parts so isn't really a whole bike any more.

how many burpees in a minute
    Zero!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice going on the weight loss.

4 dinner guests - who & why?
    What would you put on the menu?
    Have you ever or do you work with a coach?
    What's a typical training week like for you?
    Are you in a Tri Club?
    Done many road races? What are your 5k, 8k, 10k & HM PBs?
    Any plans to go long?

4 dinner guests - who & why?
    Do they have to be famous people? Cause four mates is the easy answer here! :D

What would you put on the menu?
    Fillet steak and chips - my standard favourite dinner.

Have you ever or do you work with a coach?
    Yes. Got myself a coach last year after my son was born to help focus my training and make the best of limited time available.

What's a typical training week like for you?
    At the moment, we're doing 3 weeks hard followed by 1 recovery week. This week is the first in a new block and would be fairly standard.
    - 5 x 3k swims done weekday mornings, - 2 x 1hr turbos done weekday evenings after the baby is put to bed,
    - 1 long cycle on Sunday (3hrs +)
    - 4 lunch time run sessions
    - 1 long run (1hr 45)
    - 1 s&c / stretching / foam rolling session

Are you in a Tri Club?
    Yes, Setanta Tri Club

Done many road races? What are your 5k, 8k, 10k & HM PBs?
    It's a while since I've done any road racing so my PBs are all a bit slower than I'd expect these days. Something I want to do this year is to take advantage of a few races to get new PBs!
    5k 17:46
    10k 38:10
    HM 1:25:24
    M 3:20:05

Any plans to go long?
    Some day. When I have the time to do training right - probably when the wee fella is in his teens and does want me around as much!

Your dinner party. Have who you like. :D

Just caught up on your log, hadn't read it in a while. Damn solid training - especially the simulation day. Fair play. :cool:

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Your dinner party. Have who you like. :D

Just caught up on your log, hadn't read it in a while. Damn solid training - especially the simulation day. Fair play. :cool:

I'm consistent at least! The simulation day was great, in that it's something I don't think I would ever have done myself, but it gave me a great idea of what I'm letting myself in for. I'm expecting to have to do a couple more of them over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Can I pick three??! Jape is amazing live - I saw him in the spirit store in Dundalk a few years ago and loved it. For slightly different reasons, seeing F*ck Buttons at the Button Factory was one of the best gigs I've been at. Both times I've seen Deerhunter were great too

Deerhunter, F*ck Buttons, nice change to the generally brutal responses to the music questions around here :)

What do you typically have for dinner?
    What has been your most satisfying race result to date?

What do you typically have for dinner?
    An omelette

What has been your most satisfying race result to date?
    Probably Carlingford Tri last year. Our club race I came fourth after running BMC down and closing a decent gap off the bike. I know he's not a triathlete really any more, but that doesn't have to come into it when I tell people I beat him! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Do you prefer going uphill on the bike or downhill?

How soon in the year do you take out the TT bite for training?

How soon in the year do you venture to open water?

What do you think of HIM Dublin?

Do or did you practice transitions?

Do you prefer going uphill on the bike or downhill?
    Uphill probably. I enjoy descending, but broke my collarbone a couple of years ago coming down a mountain and have been a little more cautious since!

How soon in the year do you take out the TT bite for training?
    I don't not take it out at any stage. Depends on the session I'm doing and whether I'm on my own moreso than anything else. These days most of my outdoor bike is the club spin, so I use the road bike, but I had the TT out two weeks ago.

How soon in the year do you venture to open water?
    With time constraints the only open water swimming I managed last year was in races. Hopefully I'll get a little more this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same again this year.

What do you think of HIM Dublin?
    It's likely good for the sport in Ireland as it increases awareness and attracts new people to tri. At the same time, the route felt like a little bit of a let down when it was announced.

Do or did you practice transitions?
    Not really. I do a little of getting used to putting shoes on on the bike, taking them off before getting off at the end of spins by that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Cycling or running, what's your favourite and what do you think you are best at?

Any bucket list events like RAAM or MDS or some other mid life crisis.

Who would win a doughnut eating contest, me you or Dolan:)

Cycling or running, what's your favourite and what do you think you are best at?
    Favourite is a very hard question! I love both, and it'd probably depend on when you asked me what answer I'd give. Up until fairly recently I'd have said the bike was my strongest, but I think my run has come on a lot over the last 12 months. I'm not /great/ at either, but I'm fairly consistent across all three disciplines I suppose.

Any bucket list events like RAAM or MDS or some other mid life crisis.
    Not really, although at 29 I've a little time to properly go full midlife crisis!

Who would win a doughnut eating contest, me you or Dolan:)
    I've always thought I'd have a natural aptitude for competitive eating. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hello there, RJM! :)

Most embarrassing moment in a race?
    Any superstitions or rituals prior to a race?
    What is the secret weapon you keep in your back pocket that you know you can rely on during a race?
    Any tattoos? If so, of what and where?
    Which would you choose for dessert: deep dark chocolate cake covered in a sinful chocolate ganache, warmed fruit pie with a healthy serving of vanilla ice cream, or a nice selection of cheeses?
    What's the most you've ever eaten in one sitting?
    Pet peeves?
    Life of the party, or wall flower?
    Serious or silly?
    Intense or laid back?
    Can you keep a secret?
    When in the car alone listening to Jape, do you ever pretend you are the guest artist and sing at the top of your lungs and admire how your ability to harmonize elevates the entire quality and musical experience? ;)

Most embarrassing moment in a race?
    I’m not sure I’ve ever had a particularly embarrassing moment in a race. A couple of silly errors alright, but nothing to the extent that I’d have been embarrassed.

Any superstitions or rituals prior to a race?
    Not really. Race morning is a bit of a routine, and I do like to do / eat / wear the same things generally, but not to the extent that I’d call it a ritual.

What it the secret weapon you keep in your back pocket that you know you can rely on during a race?
    Training! :D I love training on really crappy days when you can be sure that some people won’t have gotten out. I can remind myself of those when the going gets tough.

Any tattoos? If so, of what and where?
    None.

Which would you choose for dessert: deep dark chocolate cake covered in a sinful chocolate ganache, warmed fruit pie with a healthy serving of vanilla ice cream, or a nice selection of cheeses?
    Would depend on my mood, but if I’m having the chocolate cake, I want ice cream with it as well. The cheese board is a whole other course to be had after dessert with an irish coffee!

What’s the most you’ve ever eaten in one sitting?
    I’m not sure I ever want to actually know / remember that.

Pet peeves?
    People stressing about things. Specifically, things they have no control over.

Life of the party, or wall flower?
    Depends on the party and my mood, I have been both. Most likely, I’m somewhere in between.

Serious or silly?
    Context is everything!

Intense or laid back?
    As above!

Can you keep a secret?
    Yes.

When in the car alone listening to Jape, do you ever pretend you are the guest artist and sing at the top of your lungs and admire how your ability to harmonize elevates the entire quality and musical experience?
    I am unfortunately completely unable to harmonise at any level. I do play a mean air drum though.

• Advertisement

How did you find transitioning form self coached to coached?
    What sort of gains have you seen since going the coached route?
    Do you train with power on the bike and HR for the run?
    How's the ego and body after the spill at the weekend?

Advertisement