Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know.....RJM85

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

How did you find transitioning from self coached to coached?

Great! In retrospect I don’t think I could ever have called myself ‘self-coached’. I exercised a lot alright, but I rarely trained. My coach has been great at taking the rough timetable I set out and putting a structure to it. Having someone reviewing my training files etc is great to keep me honest as well. Even just the fact of whether the little grey box on training peaks turns green amber or red is a great motivator.

What sort of gains have you seen since going the coached route?

It’s hard to quantify, as I had never actually done a triathlon when I started with the coach.
    My swim has come on a lot – I’ve dropped at least 2 minutes off my 1,500 time while also being much fresher / stronger at the end of any swim. From training, I know this has come on again since December, but it’s hard to quantify.
    Bike is hard to quantify as I don’t train with power, and it was my strongest discipline to start with; but I’ve definitely come on. I’m hoping to do a 10TT or two during the year just to set a PB.
    Run – again it’s hard to give a quantifiable answer as almost all the running I’ve done since being coached can’t be directly compared, but for examples: - in October I ran a HM PB on a training run comfortably (my HM PB wasn't in any way what I'd consider soft at the time I set it 12 months earlier). I had never broken 38 minutes for a 10k, but I ran 37:something in the county senior XC (10,000m) on a relatively tough course in November.

Do you train with power on the bike and HR for the run?

No power – I intend to get a PM some day, but I’ll need to put the money together and I often get distracted by shiny things like wheels and new shoes etc. I have and wear a HRM, but I really don’t pay that much attention to it. I usually run more off pace and perceived effort (and mostly perceived effort on the bike) – I’d have a good idea where my HR should be for certain paces etc. so I’ll really only pay attention to it if it’s not where it should be if that makes sense?

How’s the ego and body after the spill at the weekend?

All fine more or less. My shoulder was at me a little in the pool yesterday, so I did an easier session than planned; but it seemed to be fine today. I’m eager to get out on Sunday (including doing those hill repeats that were supposed to get done last week) and get the confidence straight back as I know from experience that feeling nervous in any way on the bike isn’t a good way to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

So its after Thursday...........

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

tunney wrote: »
    So its after Thursday...........

I've sent a PM this morning...

Advertisement