Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCFE Computer Systems and Networking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jamesoc85

Hi,

I did this course a few years ago. From what I remember the interview was easy more how interested you are in the course then technical questions. But this might have changed by now.

I really enjoyed the course and went on to LIT the year after it to do Computer networks and Systems Management. Even skipped a few subjects in first year that I did in LCFE.

Now I work for a big multinational company thanks to that course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Thats great to hear and good to hear your success :) I've massive interest in that area, Have already completed courses where I did the comptia A+, N+, S+ and Microsoft server 2012 exams. Also did a web design course with FÁS where I got an adobe dreamweaver certificate for an exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

You'll need a bachelors degree in this area to be considered for employment. The course you quote above seems to be a step in the right direction. I went back to education as a mature student studying computer systems, best thing I ever did. Good luck!

Have you thought about just diving into a degree course from the outset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

If you've already completed the CompTIA and MS stuff then I'm not sure if the LCFE course is going to help much more. You might already know whatever this course could teach you. (I don't know what's on the syllabus though, so I can't be sure).
    I'd be inclined to +1 Stefanovich's suggestion and possibly look at a degree level course also. Considering the qualifications you already have, it should be a doddle.

I did leaving cert applied in school which means I only have a fetac level 4, I got distinction in it. I finished school at 18, Im 21 now and have been working and doing courses sense trying to find out which area I would be interested in studying further. So I have two options at the moment, I can go to LCFE for a year then go to LIT to complete a degree or wait till im 23 and try my luck as a mature student.

Im happy I decided to wait as now I can get BTEA and still work my current job 15 hours a week which my employer already said they are ok with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

killanena wrote: »
    I did leaving cert applied in school which means I only have a fetac level 4, I got distinction in it. I finished school at 18, Im 21 now and have been working and doing courses sense trying to find out which area I would be interested in studying further. So I have two options at the moment, I can go to LCFE for a year then go to LIT to complete a degree or wait till im 23 and try my luck as a mature student.

Im happy I decided to wait as now I can get BTEA and still work my current job 15 hours a week which my employer already said they are ok with.
    Grant + BTEA + part time work adds up to a lot of money. I was in the same boat. Prepare for a drop in wages when you leave college and get a real job!

Grant + BTEA + part time work adds up to a lot of money. I was in the same boat. Prepare for a drop in wages when you leave college and get a real job!

Its either grand or btea, well at least it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 foggyn

suzi will take care of your fees. unfortunetly you wont get the btea? you need to be 23 or over . i could be wrong though? check with social welfare regarding btea but if all else fails you will get a mainteance grant and its worth the same as the btea

• Registered Users Posts: 31 foggyn

hello there ,
    i am thinking about applying for the fetac level 5 in computer systems and networks at carlow college of further education next september with a view to continuing onto the level 6 afterwards and then hopefully a degree in IT carlow or LIT.
    the thing is i am 54 now and would be 56 by the time i enter third level?
    im long term unemployed so financially its not going to affect me lol

my question is? am i too old to enter the computing profession? is it too late? any advice on whether i should persue this? would my age be a disadvantage in gaining employment after the course?

will prospective employers look at my age or my qualifications as a grounds to hire me or not?
    lots of questions i know, im just looking for feedback, if there is anyone out there that was in a similiar situation as myself how did you get on?
    i love computers and how they work,

Advertisement