Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How fun is Athy?

Options
  • 26-02-2015 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Maybe i will be renting a place in Athy for the weekends (i work in leixlip) its within my budget to pay for 2 places (both leixlip and athy) but I want it for the weekends (friday 3.30 till sunday somewhere).

I want it because there is a lot of nature and its quite (i hope) but for someone thats new, how fun is it to be there? is there a lot to do/see, are there pubs/bars/restaurants? (no pubs, bars in leixlip and tired of dublin).

and the train connection isnt bad (to dublin heuston).
    But how are the weekends in Athy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Asmooh wrote: »
    no pubs, bars in leixlip and tired of dublin

Off the top of my head there's 7 bars/pubs in Leixlip..

My advice is don't rent a place in Athy, you'll get bored just as quickly. Buy a car and spend your weekends traveling to different parts of the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Off the top of my head there's 7 bars/pubs in Leixlip..

My advice is don't rent a place in Athy, you'll get bored just as quickly. Buy a car and spend your weekends traveling to different parts of the west.
    Its not even about being bored, its more that I want a place somewhere else where I can just be on myself, not sharing house or close to places where its busy.

the place i can rent is outside and kinda middle of nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

It's quite a funny place, but I wouldn't exactly call it fun :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Jamaican Me Crazy

Leixlip is better than Athy x 1 million (I have lived in both places)

Found the people in Athy quite clique-y and wary of outsiders (not all, but a lot). Very little to do in the town itself.
    Nice canal walk, Carlow town is close by and it had a nice Chinese take away. Parking and traffic around the town centre are a nightmare.

Leixlip is better than Athy x 1 million (I have lived in both places)

Found the people in Athy quite clique-y and wary of outsiders (not all, but a lot). Very little to do in the town itself.
    Nice canal walk, Carlow town is close by and it had a nice Chinese take away. Parking and traffic around the town centre are a nightmare.

fits me :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Leixlip is beside Maynooth,Maynooth is fun.
    A taxi would be cheaper then rent:)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Leixlip is beside Maynooth,Maynooth is fun.
    A taxi would be cheaper then rent:)

i was there because i needed to get to the post office, didnt look interesting at all :) no privacy and waaaay to busy

anyway i will be renting 2 places, one in leixlip and one there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It all strikes me as a bit bonkers but each to their own. Why don't you look at somewhere on the Leixlip trainline so you don't have to go into Heuston to switch? The midlands are fairly equal in terms of what they offer so one line is as good as any, go for the handiest.

If Maynooth was too busy why not look for somewhere like Dromod, Co. Leitrim. Not too far on the Leixlip train and you could get an apt there for 500 per month or less.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    It all strikes me as a bit bonkers but each to their own. Why don't you look at somewhere on the Leixlip trainline so you don't have to go into Heuston to switch? The midlands are fairly equal in terms of what they offer so one line is as good as any, go for the handiest.

If Maynooth was too busy why not look for somewhere like Dromod, Co. Leitrim. Not too far on the Leixlip train and you could get an apt there for 500 per month or less.

maybe i dont know :) i like to have 2 places, always had (one in holland one in sweden) but now i dont feel like going that far to get my rest, but ill look into it

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

loads to do in Athy, pubs, restaurants, social clubs, plenty of scenic places to go walking etc. I'd recommend it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

There are at least 10 pubs/bars in Leixlip and more in Lucan and Maynooth, both handy by public transport.

+1 to renting in Leitrim. For leisure purposes it'd leave Athy for dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭obriendj

OP, will you be looking for rent allowance in both locations?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94125866

This thread seems very strange to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Asmooh wrote: »
    How fun is Athy?

Not as much fun as what's at the top of it......

obriendj wrote: »
    OP, will you be looking for rent allowance in both locations?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94125866

This thread seems very strange to me.
    Oh no that was just a general question why ireland have those rules

Advertisement