Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad (Sat 28 Feb) *unmasked spoilers*

• 26-02-2015 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭

It's Classics time! It begins as always with the Omloop, cobbles and pointy little climbs included.

Road book
    Startlist
    Oddschecker

The course is over 200km long, winding around it's way around the Ardennes in Flanders. It features 11 hellingen, including the Muur and the Molenberg and 10 cobbled section.

Alexander Kristoff will start as the favourite with his spectacular early season form, although Etixx Quickstep have almost certainly sent the strongest team, with Tom Boonen, Niki Terpstra, Zdenek Stybar and Stijn Vandenbergh all real contenders for the win. Team Sky are likely to be working for Ian Stannard, with Bradley Wiggins also hoping to show form for Paris Roubaix. No Irish riders taking part.

Kuurne-2014-120-greipel-620.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Would I be correct in saying that Eurosport are not covering this? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Correct, they're showing skiing and the snooker.

Correct, they're showing skiing and the snooker.

You should have just done a Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne thread instead :p

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

Eurosport have a 2014 KBK review @ 8:30pm but no Omloop highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Eurosport the "Home of cycling"

• Advertisement

I was looking through the list of previous winners, and I was surprised to see that Kelly never won this race. But as is the way with a lot of races that he didn't win, he came very, very close on numerous occasions. He entered this race a total of 7 times, finishing 2nd, 3rd (twice), 7th, 10th, and 11th (twice)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I was looking through the list of previous winners, and I was surprised to see that Kelly never won this race.

Shay Elliot did, though....

K-B-K has three Irish riders this year and AnPost are to take part.......someone do a thread, go on. :)

Wey-hey...the Classics are here finally. No more of that middle-eastern sun, lets see the rain and mud........

Here's Eurosport's cycling schedule for the year - http://programmeguide.eurosport.com/sport/cycling/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It may be the best named race of the year but I'm not sure you can class it as a Classic. If it is indeed a classic it's the least prestigious one.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Shay Elliot did, though....

K-B-K has three Irish riders this year and AnPost are to take part.......someone do a thread, go on. :)

Wey-hey...the Classics are here finally. No more of that middle-eastern sun, lets see the rain and mud........

Shay Elliott was the 1st non Belgian to win it or so the telegraph cycling podcast said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

neris wrote: »
    Eurosport the "Home of cycling"

I'd class them as the "Home of cycling" They show more than anyone else. They don't have coverage of a handful of races per year and people have a go at them?
    Certain races may have coverage rights in place which prevent Eurosport from carrying the event, you can't blame them for that.

Yeah, in fairness to Eurosport, they show all the UCI World Tour races, apart from Gent-Wevelgem, Tour de Romandie and Tour de Suisse (which are broadcast all on Sky I think).
    And they have coverage of all the Spring Classics except for this Saturday's Omloop, Dwars door Vlaanderen, the aformentioned Gent-Wevelgem, Schelderprijs, and De Brabantse Pijl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Yeah, in fairness to Eurosport, they show all the UCI World Tour races, apart from Gent-Wevelgem, Tour de Romandie and Tour de Suisse (which are broadcast all on Sky I think).
    And they have coverage of all the Spring Classics except for this Saturday's Omloop, Dwars door Vlaanderen, the aformentioned Gent-Wevelgem, Schelderprijs, and De Brabantse Pijl.

all belong to Sporza only in Belgium - they release De Ronde under contractual agreements to show World Tour races.

http://www.omloophetnieuwsblad.be/en

anyway, no harm brushing up on your Flemish for an afternoon. And it saves having to listen to that gob****e Carlton Kirby.

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    anyway, no harm brushing up on your Flemish for an afternoon. And it saves having to listen to that gob****e Carlton Kirby.

I have come to like Carlton :o

I have come to like Carlton :o

oh God, no.

Carlton negates any use of an expert as nothing he ever commentates on involves a question mark. He is the world leader in spouting nonsense and then losing himself in it completely. There is no need for Kelly analytics

His Stijn Devolder moment in the 2014 Ronde von Vlaanderen. Devolder plucking his way through the stragglers for the second time, up the Paterberg albeit over 5 minutes back, with Carlton gently sobbing into his mike and Kelly wondering wtf.

real crash at 2.27.41 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRRkB6Bt41w

car crash tv at 2.31.00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRRkB6Bt41w

Atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Good Thread Darkglasses....(no typos unlike me !!)

looks like Ettix-QuickStep have the strongest team but I'd love if one of the MTN guys won this or even Van Summeren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Oh BTW Matt Brammeier is riding this race

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Aside from Quickstep, it's hard to look past Kristoff if its a sprint, or else Van Avaermaet on his own for this.

I had forgotten a lot about last year's race, but rereading this piece on CN http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/motorbikes-and-cold-ruin-omloop-for-quick-step reminded me; I wonder if the UCI have made any changes to the number of motos that will be allowed accompany the race this year ?

It looks like it might be a fair day weather-wise
    Ghent:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Brian? wrote: »
    It may be the best named race of the year but I'm not sure you can class it as a Classic. If it is indeed a classic it's the least prestigious one.

Would be technically what they call a semi classic but quite a prestigious one .. Looking forward to the start of the classics season and what will probably be the end of the line for 2 of the greatest cobble riders of all time. Tom B and Fabian C will surely bow out at the end of this season. Can't wait for the showdown at the Ronde and Roubaix. Boonen will be testing the water Sat but my tip ftw is Greg Van Avermaet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

sy wrote: »
    Would be technically what they call a semi classic but quite a prestigious one .. Looking forward to the start of the classics season and what will probably be the end of the line for 2 of the greatest cobble riders of all time. Tom B and Fabian C will surely bow out at the end of this season. Can't wait for the showdown at the Ronde and Roubaix. Boonen will be testing the water Sat but my tip ftw is Greg Van Avermaet

You always know that classic season is back when Sy comes in with the predictions. Class.

For me I'd love to see Stannard or Thomas at Omloop. But not sure what either have been like. As Sy this year could be it for the two giants of the Spring classics. It will be a long time before we see anyone of that calibre. But still here are a lot of riders on the rungs just below Fab and Tom. I will miss both races due to kid stuff, ah well.
    Kristov for KBK.

ROK ON wrote: »
    For me I'd love to see Stannard or Thomas at Omloop.

I don't think Geraint Thomas is riding on Saturday.

Only slightly relevant, but the free online education site futurelearn.com is soon starting a 3 week introduction to Dutch - might be interesting for people who consume foreign streams and such!

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/categories/languages-and-cultures

Preview

Matt Brammeier is in the break with 5 others today, 90km to go with a gap of 4'42

Less than 90km to go, and a breakaway have a 4:29 lead over the peloton.

The breakaway consists of Alexis Gougeard (AG2R), Matt Brammeier (MTN), Christophe Laborie (Bretagne-Séché Environnement), Michael Reihs (Cult Energy), Kevin Van Melsen (Wanty), Louis Verhelst (Cofidis), Jaroslaw Marycz (CCC Sprandi Polkowice), Sean De Bie (Lotto Soudal) and Albert Timmer (Team Giant-Alpecin).

Live text ticker on Cyclingnews.

EDIT: Darkglasses got in just before me :D

Gap already down to under 3 minutes, 81km to go. Sky and Etixx on the front of the peloton. No real danger of break away win today unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

what channel are you watching this on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Peloton watch saying Brammier has attacked solo

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Brammier's pushing it on but won't be long now till they're caught.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Koobcam wrote: »
    what channel are you watching this on?

Cycling.tv

Cycling.tv

What's the quality of that site like? Seems expensive for what you get.

Decent shift put in by Brammeier today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Live on french Sport+ tv also on Astra1.

Crap luck for Vanmarcke as he goes on the attack and then gets a puncture!!

Yeah. Buried himself to pull out the gap and then flats. Quick Step can't believe their luck.

If Quick-Step don't end up winning this now.....

Boonen attacks. It's up to Stannard to chase on his own.

• Advertisement

Stannard now attacking! :eek:

Vandenbergh is gone. Boonen in big trouble. Just Stannard and Terpstra left.

Stannard wins!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Ballsy ride by Stannard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

You beaut of a brute.

Holy crap, what a complete blunder by Etixx, not to take anything away from Stannard, but they made a total hash of that. Well done Stannard. Was only reading twitter updates for the last ten km :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Savage ride from Stannard! Wiggens riding for Stanard in Roubaix now?

Jose Been even said it at the time - awful decision by Boonen to attack so far out, when he obviously hadn't the gas to complete it.

Wow, Boonen and Terpstra are just about now having a real hairdryer moment from Lefevre on the team bus, I bet. How did they lose that ?? Fantastic ride from Stannard, I didn't give him a prayer from 10k out it looked a forgone conclusion that Boonen or Terpstra would romp home.......a great start to the Belgian races.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Savage ride from Stannard! Wiggens riding for Stanard in Roubaix now?

I'd still say Wiggins is Sky's main man, but Stannard will be a great option. You can never put all your eggs in one basket anyway for Paris-Roubaix, unless Cancellara is on your team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement