Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions on opening online bank account

Options
  • 26-02-2015 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'll be finishing up a contract in the Middle East this year and will almost immediately be transferring to China. I'll be getting an end of service payment from my current employers, and I'm looking for somewhere to stash it. I also intend to ramp up my saving so will be looking to put away a nice sum every month. I don't have a bank account in Ireland because I didn't see the point in paying the fees when I wouldn't be using the account. I'll be home for a fortnight but that's not enough time to set up an account.

What I was thinking therefore, was establishing an online bank account. I've never done that before, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or suggestions. Ideally I'd want something with a relatively high interest, low charges, where I could deposit a lump sum initially and top it up with monthly deposits for two years at least. Convenience is an obvious factor.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

A bank account can be opened on the spot with the right documentation. Get a ulitity bill with your friends name on it and get them to write a letter saying you live with them/ they are your landlord etc. A bank will open the account a that address. Phone revenue for a tax credit cert for the year,so you have something with your address on it and PPS number. Bring all that to a bank and within 5 mins you will have a bank account

KBC offers a bank account with no fees just a quarterly fee of €6. Which isnt too expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Thanks for that.

Anybody know of more long-term savings accounts with higher interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

You are going to find it very difficult to open an account here. You are a non resident. Most banks refuse non residents.

I suggest you walk into each bank and talk to them. Some banks, BoI has been mentioned before, sometimes have degrees of flexibility with opening non resident accounts.
    Get a ulitity bill with your friends name on it and get them to write a letter saying you live with them/ they are your landlord etc. A bank will open the account a that address.

That is fraud which could land you in serious trouble. Creating fake AML documentation can lead to imprisonment. Do not do this.
    Phone revenue for a tax credit cert for the year,so you have something with your address on it and PPS number. Bring all that to a bank and within 5 mins you will have a bank account

But he has not lived in the country so the Revenue will not issue these docs.
    KBC offers a bank account with no fees just a quarterly fee of €6. Which isnt too expensive

The cashless KBC offering is not the best choice. PTSB offer completely free banking, and cash services, provided you deposit at least 1,500 EUR per month. However, neither are likely to allow non residents.
    Anybody know of more long-term savings accounts with higher interest?

See here. Again, most of these accounts are not open to non residents.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

hfallada, advising posters to provide false documents is against the forum charter.
    No Dishonest Dealings.
    Don't ask how to get around repaying debts/defaulting/giving false information for loans etc - basically if it's not above board, and legal, it's not allowed. This includes advising posters to do it/how to do it.

Advertisement