Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C License

• 26-02-2015 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me the steps and cost in acquiring a C license from Theory to Full license?

I was in Fas and they couldn't tell me and the Theory test gave me different information to what I was told by a few people on some points and the website is just confusing.

Does the Theory test include CPC Part one? Do I book this (Theory test) first?
    How much is it?

I understand I need a medical and eye test before I apply for the C Permit, then lessons, then the Actual test (this counts as another part of CPC? ) then another theory and practical once passed?

What are the restrictions, if any once the full test is passed and CPC?

The average rate for lessons?

What book to get for study?

Thanks

Dan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Theory Test - not required if you already have C Licence.
    But Theory Test Book can be got for free at Library

Theory test now includes part 1 of CPC and it costs 72 euro

Medical - 20 euro, doctor should not charge full amount for a simple medical
    If you have more than 2 years left on current medical this will cover your provisional licence

Provisional Licence - 35 euro

8 hrs lessons plus hire of lorry for test - 600-700 euro (Deals are available on lessons + hire of lorry)

CPC 1 plus theory test - 72 euro
    CPC 2 - 72 euro
    Test - 120 euro
    Practical CPC - 35 euro

New Licence - 35 euro
    Plus another medical - 20 euro

Each CPC module - 50 euro per year

DigiCard - 60 euro but I think if you do it online its 45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

^^Good post yourpics. Really reminds me of all the money I spent getting my C license :eek:

If I had to do it all again I probably wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

It's an expensive business alright. I'd estimate (between licences, medicals, lessons, travelling costs, tests, etc) it cost me c.€3000 in total to get my C licence (in 2003) and C+E (in 2014).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 albarr01

I just got my Learner Permit and have my C test in a month. The permit has 991 marked on it which suggests I can only do my test 6 months after the permit has been issued, is this correct? The fine details then for 991 don't say it is applicable to a C licence.

It's all very confusing.

There's no 6 month wait for the C License. It only applies to first time A and B permits.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Is this the same for the D licence??
    yourpics wrote:
    Theory Test - not required if you already have C Licence. But Theory Test Book can be got for free at Library

yourpics wrote:
    Theory test now includes part 1 of CPC and it costs 72 euro

yourpics wrote:
    Medical - 20 euro, doctor should not charge full amount for a simple medical If you have more than 2 years left on current medical this will cover your provisional licence

yourpics wrote:
    8 hrs lessons plus hire of lorry for test - 600-700 euro (Deals are available on lessons + hire of lorry)

yourpics wrote:
    Provisional Licence - 35 euro

yourpics wrote:
    CPC 1 plus theory test - 72 euro CPC 2 - 72 euro Test - 120 euro Practical CPC - 35 euro

yourpics wrote:
    New Licence - 35 euro Plus another medical - 20 euro

yourpics wrote:
    DigiCard - 60 euro but I think if you do it online its 45

yourpics wrote:
    Each CPC module - 50 euro per year

• Registered Users Posts: 8 albarr01

Faith+1 wrote: »
    There's no 6 month wait for the C License. It only applies to first time A and B permits.

Thanks Faith, God knows why they print the 991 on it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cen taurus

yourpics wrote: »
    Theory Test - not required if you already have C Licence.

This part is confusing me, why would he already have a C licence if he's looking for one ?

So I'm a bit lost as to the different steps as well, their order etc.

Could you number them for slow peope like me ?

The rest is great info, fair play.

Cen taurus wrote: »
    This part is confusing me, why would he already have a C licence if he's looking for one ?

So I'm a bit lost as to the different steps as well, their order etc.

Could you number them for slow peope like me ?

The rest is great info, fair play.

I think he means you don't have to do a theory test for the EC if you already hold a C License. If you've starting from stratch then you have to do the Theory Test.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mad Martina

just wondering lads as i have my theory test booked for thursday, do i need to study the case studies aslo along with the questions in the book? at the back off the theory test book "6th" edition 2013 there is a section with "case studies in it but it doesnt appear to explain what u have to do with them??? learn every pages off by heart or what? i have to agree with original post the theory test website is very poor it doesnt properly diferentiate between the theory test or cpc???

• Advertisement

just wondering lads as i have my theory test booked for thursday, do i need to study the case studies aslo along with the questions in the book? at the back off the theory test book "6th" edition 2013 there is a section with "case studies in it but it doesnt appear to explain what u have to do with them??? learn every pages off by heart or what? i have to agree with original post the theory test website is very poor it doesnt properly diferentiate between the theory test or cpc???

No you don't have to study the case studies. As far as I understand they linked the multiple choice questions with the theory test. You need 61 out of 100 to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭currins_02

No, the case study exam is separate. You will get 3 case studies on the day (should be from the ones in the book but may have slight differences but can be completely different). On each you get 15 questions (still multiple choice). I understand the basis is that many people use Rote learning to prepare for the theory/multiple choice tests, i.e. they learn the answer to the question by repetition but often with no understanding of the content. The case study concept is to present supposed real life situations and see can the applicant reasonably understand and/or apply the material from the theory and case study.

You should concentrate now on the test in hand and worry about case study later. On the case study you will get some very general questions which bear little or no relationship to the story. You will get some more which are directly pointed at glaring errors in the text and possibly an odd technical one about drivers hours, weights etc. So read well up on hours regs (particularly daily stuff as opposed to weekly) and weights. The new DVD-ROM has some good material on it and some sample type questions. You will find the answers to some of the questions are elsewhere in the text. So, for instance, on one of them, if I remember right it describes a guy with a load of veg which spills out and question is how could they have prevented it, 2 lines later it states that if he had done a daily walkaround check he would have spotted the rear doors were not fully secured.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mad Martina

Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

nc19 wrote: »
    Is this the same for the D licence??

Yes but the hire of a bus/coach and lessons might be slightly more expensive that the rigid, but should be around the same price as that of the artic

Remember it is a different theory test for Category D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I think he means you don't have to do a theory test for the EC if you already hold a C License. If you've starting from stratch then you have to do the Theory Test.

There is an exception to this (which I found out the hard way, i.e. had to re-sit my 'C' Theory Test for a second time). If your C theory Test is over 5 years old, you will have to re-sit same before getting a C+E permit.

I (vigoursly!) questioned this with an RSA manager at the time, as the Rules of The Road book clearly stated 'you will not have to complete any theory test more than once' (or words to that effect). But no, she wasnt having any of it when I pointed this out to her (i.e. no mention in the book of a 5-year limit on Theory Tests), and simply said 'thats just the way it is'. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

albarr01 wrote: »
    Thanks Faith, God knows why they print the 991 on it so.

991- 1st permit - 2 years
    992- 2nd permit - 2 years
    993- third and subsequent permit - 1 year with proof of test application or 2 years with proof of test failure and all subsequent permits will also be 993

991 doesn't only refer to the six month wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Silvera wrote: »
    There is an exception to this (which I found out the hard way, i.e. had to re-sit my 'C' Theory Test for a second time). If your C theory Test is over 5 years old, you will have to re-sit same before getting a C+E permit.

I (vigoursly!) questioned this with an RSA manager at the time, as the Rules of The Road book clearly stated 'you will not have to complete any theory test more than once' (or words to that effect). But no, she wasnt having any of it when I pointed this out to her (i.e. no mention in the book of a 5-year limit on Theory Tests), and simply said 'thats just the way it is'. :mad:

If you got a C DTT back in 2003 and never let the learner category lapse more than five years then I'd say you're right. I can think of no circumstance where you should have had to repeat but it wouldn't be the first time people have taken another DTT when they shouldn't have had to. In the same way, people who've been on 993 and handing in test apps for B every 2+ years for group 1 categories can randomly add A categories only because they got the early group 1's DTT before they broke it down to AM and BW. In my case I know that because I never sat a BW DTT (but did the AM in 2008), if I ever wanted BE, I'd have to do the BW DTT again :/

Advertisement