Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your ultegra spec bike recommendation

• 26-02-2015 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Its time to upgrade the bike! Spec wise I am budgeting for Ultegra level componentry (or Force 22). Cant give a euro budget because now I am in North America, however most bikes with ultegra level groupset hover around the same price point no matter what side of the atlantic!

PS so before people try to rub it in, its correct, I cannot get ribble/planet x/rose/canyon too easily.

Whats your recommendation and why? Big brand vs something like Olympia or Scapin?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Some great value here if you can order in the US. The Fuji Gran Fondo with Dura Ace is savage value.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/road-bike-sale

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

Brian? wrote: »
    Some great value here if you can order in the US. The Fuji Gran Fondo with Dura Ace is savage value.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/road-bike-sale

Thanks for the quick reply!

Sorry should have been a bit clearer! Want a road bike, performance or aero rather than Grand Fondo type!

JohnBee wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Sorry should have been a bit clearer! Want a road bike, performance or aero rather than Grand Fondo type!

Both the Litespeed and Kestrel bikes on that link I posted would suit.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/litespeed-l1-ultegra-bike-md-2014

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/kestrel-2014-legend-ultegra-bike

they/them/theirs

they/them/theirs

Thanks! What is your trusty steed Brian?

• Advertisement

Thanks! What is your trusty steed Brian?

Fuji Alatmira 2.0. bought from Colorado cyclist in January 2013 and a Merlin Proteus I bought piecemeal.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Get Ultegra Di2, I'd go electronic before I start worrying about saving a few grams.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Get Ultegra Di2, I'd go electronic before I start worrying about saving a few grams.

Di2 is a significant step up in cost. Is it really that much better? Most bikes with Di2, you will pay $1000 more nearly in cost. Would that not be better spent on wheels or something?

Di2 is a significant step up in cost. Is it really that much better? Most bikes with Di2, you will pay $1000 more nearly in cost. Would that not be better spent on wheels or something?

A grand on wheels or a grand on Di2? It's like Sophie's choice.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Brian? wrote: »
    A grand on wheels or a grand on Di2? It's like Sophie's choice.

It would be the grand on wheels for me anyday

• Advertisement

It would be the grand on wheels for me anyday

That's what I was thinking. The performance benefit overall would surely be much better for wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

That's what I was thinking. The performance benefit overall would surely be much better for wheels.

What performance benefit? Seriously, maybe it's just me, but unless you are regularly doing TTs up Alpes d'Huez then to me a pair of Aksiums aren't much slower than a pair of Ksyrium SLs.

You asked for an Ultegra level bike, a poster pointed to a Dura Ace one and to me, I'd go for Ultegra Di2 before I go for Dura Ace. Nice, reliable shifting all year round over a couple of hundred grams.

Buying wheels has to be one of the most disappointing experiences of my life. I'm probably too slow to notice the difference, but a pair of wheels has never been a "performance" upgrade.

I suppose we should have quantified what you mean by an upgrade beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    What performance benefit? Seriously, maybe it's just me, but unless you are regularly doing TTs up Alpes d'Huez then to me a pair of Aksiums aren't much slower than a pair of Ksyrium SLs.

You asked for an Ultegra level bike, a poster pointed to a Dura Ace one and to me, I'd go for Ultegra Di2 before I go for Dura Ace. Nice, reliable shifting all year round over a couple of hundred grams.

Buying wheels has to be one of the most disappointing experiences of my life. I'm probably too slow to notice the difference, but a pair of wheels has never been a "performance" upgrade.

I suppose we should have quantified what you mean by an upgrade beforehand.

Then youve never had a set of heavy wheels and changed them to something lighter and better. A new set of wheels with new (and better) tyres is like having a new bike.

Advertisement