Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are these ?

Options
  • 26-02-2015 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hopefully someone here will know. From walking in the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains I've come across lots of these and I'm curious to know what they are.

google.ie/maps/place/53%C2%B012'30.2%22N+6%C2%B024'35.6%22W/@53.2084175,-6.40988,457m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Basically they are located alongside rough paths and consist of a mound or two about 2 meters high with excavated hole beside/between them.

Anyone any ideas ?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hmm, can't say I've really ever noticed them myself to be honest, and I've been wandering the Wicklow Hills for years, but it looks from the Google imagery as if they're located on a few sides of the perimeter of Butter Mountain there at regular intervals of about 100m. They're also very consistent, like you say always two mounds with a hole in between.

If you look at the aerial imagery on the OSi website, one thing that strikes me is that while they are present on the 2005 imagery, they're not there on the 2000 imagery, so whatever they are they're fairly modern.

Strange indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ronoc101

Actually, now that I think about it I don't know if I've seen them elsewhere or just around Butter Mountain as I'm up there a good bit. Could they be some form of geological assessment I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You may be on to something there as there were plans to build a wind farm on Butter Mountain that was very recently (2013) defeated. I suppose the survey could have been done a good while before that though.

Advertisement