Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adopting a cat - what else do I need?

• 26-02-2015 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

I've hit the shops, but just in case, what have I forgotten?

- cat carrier
    - cat bed x 2
    - cat litter tray
    - feeding bowls x 6 (water, dry, wet - two sets)
    - feather on a fishing rod toy
    - snack toy
    - catnip toy x 2
    - cat tunnel toy
    - cat food; dry and wet
    - cat tree (very naff/ cheesy looking, but hey so long as she loves it)
    - anti marker spray
    - cat collar

She is already chipped and neutered as she is seven months old. I've identified a vet, and I'll organise insurance this week.

I've still got to find a decent cat litter; I know I want clumping, but I don't want to pay an excessive amount and discover it's terrible.

So what else have I missed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭morgana

Looks like you have everything well in hand :P
    I can't think of anything else except check out Zooplus.ie or Zooplus.de - a lot of us Boardsie pet slaves go there for our pet needs (the .de page works out a good bit cheaper if you can afford to bulk buy (99.0 Euro minimum for free shipping and has more choice). The cat food choice is way better than in our supermarkets or even in the likes of Maxizoo etc. They do have superior foods (like grain free varieties) for not much more than SUpermarket brands.
    If you search the forum you will find a good few cat food related threads ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I'v used pura clumping litter for a few years and find it brilliant but besides tesco clumping litter it's the only one I'v tried and tesco litter was awful. I get it for just under €20 a bag, but I see it in other places for up to €27. That's a large bag which lasts one cat about a month I think.

Don't worry once she settles in you find yourself picking up novelty things that she doesn't really need but you thought she'd like :p Cardboard boxes are a favorite, especially if large expensive ignorable cat items came in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We use Cats best Oko plus litter which we get from zooplus. It's cheaper in the long run than what you'd pay for low grade stuff in the supermarkets. It's made from corn husks and clumps into a gel, also very good at masking smells and the clumps are flushable. Sounds like you have all the bases covered. Treat wise our cats love cooked chicken pieces, ham and tinned tuna/red tinned salmon.

Toy wise we have loads of toys that we bought but the favourites tend to be plastic bottle tops, poking under newspapers and playing with ping pong balls. We feed our 4 tinned Bozita, again from zooplus and it's human grade food, high protein and a lot cheaper than the supermarket stuff. Good luck with puss, sounds like she's landed on her paws with her new home.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

being a complete cat expert here (Ive had 1 kitten that I found back in October ;)) cat toys have been a complete and utter waste of time/money!! Tux's favourite toys are (1) balls of newspapers (2) cardboard boxes (3) bits of fabric (4) Sheets of newspapers - tented over her, or piled on top of her (5) winebottle corks (6) bits of wood. She completely ignores the feather toys on wands, the balls with bells in them, the rolling toys that make a noise, the little mice toys and everything else that was paid for (as opposed to free) :rolleyes:

Good luck with your new cat, and prepare for hours of time wasting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

sounds like cat heaven already but you might need a brush if its a very fluffy cat - I used to have a big fluff ball that got dreadlocked fast without a bit of grooming help now and then. He also preferred a good box over any actual toys I ever bought. In his younger days he was also the terror of anyone in their bare feet and would ambush you on your way to/from the bathroom in the mornings - so you may want a pair of slippers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I think I'm going to give the Cats Best Oko litter a go, and I like the idea of Bozita.

It does look like I missed something though; a litter tracking mat. She's a short hair so hopefully no grooming required, but if she looks like she needs some extra help, no problems. She is a very timid shy wee thing so we are hoping with a bit of gentle love she will build up her confidence a little and grow a little bolder. It's a child free household in a quiet area, but we intend to keep her as an indoor cat, mostly due to her personality.

I've been reading your threat about Tux with a bit of envy as I've been waiting not very patiently to adopt a cat, and found it very funny. I had cats years ago on our farm ( plus rabbits, dogs, guinea pigs, sheep, cows, chickens, and a horse and a goat) but things were a bit more lax back then.

Sounds like you are totally sorted - but buy a pack of cat treats (my cat recommends Dreamies). When I got my new kitty last summer and was trying to tame her up (she was 3 months, untame) and then getting her used to outside, Dreamies were a godsend! Just shaking that bag gets her to forget everything and come running from two doors down. I have to move her next week, from the house she's lived in her adult life, to a brand new place, Dreamies are going to be sold out in my local shop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Your cat tree probably has a scratching post, but if not, get one of those too ... unless you don't mind her taking out her nails on your furniture :)

You might also want to get something like a Litter Champ or Litter Locker to dispose of her waste, otherwise you'll have to be making frequent trips to wherever you take your rubbish to. (oops just saw you're getting flushable litter .. NM)

Make sure to post pictures!!!!

+1 for Dreamies!

My aunt in UK posted an animal care package at christmas - NOTHING for the humans :D - which included a packet of Dreamies. Thank god we can get them in Tescos etc - TUX would sell her soul for them! She comes running from outside now when I shake the packet - normally if I call her at the door she might or might not come in - often comes up, waves hello and sticks her tongue out at me, before dashing off on another adventure - if there are Dreamies at the door, in she comes. See, I know Im a cat slave - Im under no illusions :D

It's funny, none of our 4 would 'stoop' so low as to eat actual cat treats. If it isn't cooked chicken/meat or raw chicken breast then they just aren't interested. Felix will saunter over to the fridge and stretch to his full length to let us know that he wants chicken.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Dreamies are big in our house too :) our cats gets a few when we go to bed. They're kept in my husband's bedside drawer so when we come to bed the cat sits there and waits for them. Once he's had his treats it's time for him to curl up at the end of the bed and we all snuggle down for the night!

I think they're might be kitty crack in them or something!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It's funny, none of our 4 would 'stoop' so low as to eat actual cat treats. If it isn't cooked chicken/meat or raw chicken breast then they just aren't interested. Felix will saunter over to the fridge and stretch to his full length to let us know that he wants chicken.:D
    Orijen has a new range of dried meat cat treats but bloody expensive :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

They're such gas characters.

Our first one won't even look at anything I've ever bought her, toys, scratch mat, litter tray (goes outdoors). Except, a comfy bed. Loves it. Kneads it for hours and lounges in it. Toys? They're for the commoners. But food, ooooh food. Dreamy mad. Meat mad.

Our second one not that food oriented at all. Loves anything you give her. A sock? Loves sock, plays with sock, lies on sock, kneads sock. Every toy, loves them. Scratch mat, loves it. Dreamies? Nah, prefers purring love.

Such different personalities. It's like having grumpy cat and huggy cat :)

Hope your little scrap loves all her stuff, and that you're a good servant.

We visited our cat yesterday... Tried cooked chicken and dreamies and neither excited her, so we might need to find a treat she does love.

We are waiting patiently for delivery of all our cat packages - thanks to those who recommended zooplus (although I might hide the bill from the OH).

We have cut a hole in the door of the storage closet and plan on having the litter box in there. It's a big space under the stairs, and about the size of a small family bathroom. We thought about installing a motion sensor light for her?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wupucus

A big HUNGRY DOG !!!!!!!!!!!

I'd love a dog again, but a 3m x 8m paved courtyard isn't suitable for dog owning... Especially not a boxer (which is the type of dog I've owned before)

She won't need a motion sensor light for the litter tray. Our little dote goes fine at night with lights out.

Our second one doesn't have a treat she loves, but she loves a cuddle!

If your cat doesn't seem to like toys, it might just be a question of the "right" toy for that particular cat. Mine was pretty indifferent to most of the things I bought for him, all the standard cat toy kind of stuff, but he loves rolled up aluminium foil balls and he goes absolutely berzerk for the Good Girl catnip mice.... Tesco brand catnip mice, not so much!

Our first cat never liked any toys until one day she started trying to play with the sweeping brush as I swept the floor. It suddenly twigged with me that she was only interested if the thing was moving away from her - when we tried to play with her we had been waving things about AT her and she had no interest. We have gotten her playing since but she still isnt THAT interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

I know you mentioned a cat tree, what size did you get? When I got my first cat we bought a small cat tree and he outgrew it very quickly. (He is HUGE! Outgrew beds/ blankets/ the apartment we lived in... but that's another story!)
    I know they can be expensive but the best thing i ever bought for my two cats was a floor to ceiling cat tree, it gets constant use and they absolutely love it. They last well too, we've had ours over two years and it has a good few years in it yet.

In relation to litter, we use Thomas clumping Cat litter, we've tried lots of different types and this is the only one our male would use, we get it in Dunnes, not expensive.

In relation to toys, you sound set up... ours also adore bubbles, lots of fun to chase and pop.

• Advertisement

Shivi111 wrote: »
    In relation to toys, you sound set up... ours also adore bubbles, lots of fun to chase and pop.

Oooh Ill have to try this - is it normal soap bubbles?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Oooh Ill have to try this - is it normal soap bubbles?

Yep, normal bubbles, they go crazy for them! Fun to hunt.

I know you mentioned a cat tree, what size did you get? When I got my first cat we bought a small cat tree and he outgrew it very quickly. (He is HUGE! Outgrew beds/ blankets/ the apartment we lived in... but that's another story!)
    I know they can be expensive but the best thing i ever bought for my two cats was a floor to ceiling cat tree, it gets constant use and they absolutely love it. They last well too, we've had ours over two years and it has a good few years in it yet.

I read a lot on Amazon where people wished they had gotten a larger one, as their kitten struggled to fit once they were 'cat sized', so we went with this...
    Tectake Cat Tree
    I really think cat trees look tacky, but we have seen she likes to hide and be up high, so wanted her to be comfortable (even if the decor goes out the window).

Bubbles! That's a great idea!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

on_my_oe wrote: »
    I read a lot on Amazon where people wished they had gotten a larger one, as their kitten struggled to fit once they were 'cat sized', so we went with this...
    Tectake Cat Tree
    Have one of those; if you never move it it will do ok but that's to be expected for 8cm chinese mass produced towers which is what 99% of the towers you find are these days (also look at Ebay.de for Katzbaum if you want another source).
    I really think cat trees look tacky, but we have seen she likes to hide and be up high, so wanted her to be comfortable (even if the decor goes out the window).
    I've had this one at home and it's really nice (sadly to low for us so we returned it) but there are other once out there are proper 10, 12 or 15cm bases that are really nice looking but they cost accordingly (i.e. 150 towards 900+ easily) but are on a whole new level in looks and durability. They also tend to be made to order in Europe rather than a cheap import (I'm currently looking at a German cat tree maker to get a custom made tower but it costs accordingly :(

Nody wrote: »
    Orijen has a new range of dried meat cat treats but bloody expensive :/

Our cats loved the Orijen, the only reason I took them off it was to switch to the Royal Canin Calm brand to settle Felix down. Everything is getting bloody expensive.:(

Yep, normal bubbles, they go crazy for them! Fun to hunt.

Our cats are terrified of bubbles. I bought some of the special ones for cats and they ran away and hid. :D

One thing I almost forgot, litter tray size. I've always found litter trays in pet shops very small. We have a huge one that Felix and Poppy use. Poppy battered Toby the one and only time she saw him in it and he's never gone back in and Jazzy refuses to toilet indoors. Think in terms of litter being hurled over rather than daintily buried. Ours is more like a small boat than a litter tray and we still know when Felix has been in as there's a small heap of clean litter on the floor at the side of the tray.:D

Our cats are terrified of bubbles. I bought some of the special ones for cats and they ran away and hid. :D

Special cat bubbles? I'm listening.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Covered litter trays work really well here, much less mess! We also have a ceiling height cat tree, well we did have a ceiling height one but the cat managed to break it so it's more like 6 foot now!!!

Feathers are popular here, as are beanie toys, really small ones get carries everywhere

• Advertisement

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Special cat bubbles? I'm listening.....

I got them in a pet shop when I was up in Galway a couple of years ago, you can probably get them online. As I said though, our cats didn't like them at all. I had them out in the garden and they ran into the house to escape.:)

• Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

- cat carrier
    - cat bed x 2
    - cat litter tray
    - feeding bowls x 6 (water, dry, wet - two sets)
    - feather on a fishing rod toy
    - snack toy
    - catnip toy x 2
    - cat tunnel toy
    - cat food; dry and wet
    - cat tree (very naff/ cheesy looking, but hey so long as she loves it)
    - anti marker spray
    - cat collar

Is it the apocalypse???

Is it the apocalypse???

Shhhhh... We don't want everyone to know ;)

Shhhhh... We don't want everyone to know ;)

It's best to be prepared to be Under the Paw. :D

It's best to be prepared to be Under the Paw. :D

If, and only if, the OP is a good slave she will be Under the Soft Paw, otherwise it'll be Under the Claw :)

Hopefully I won't get judged here, but now I'm looking for advice on the actual cat im adopting.

She is a rescue cat and is very timid. She never seeks anyone out, just seems to sit in one spot and watch what is going on. She will accept a pat or head rub from me, and will purr, but that's the extent of her interactions with me or anyone.

Yesterday I visited her, and when I tried to pat her, she bolted in the other direction, and hid under the cupboards. I waited patiently for an hour in the hope she might come out but she didn't. Meanwhile many of the other cats in the rescue approached me and got a pat, and several sat in my lap for a while, so I guess I'm not that intimidating. I've visited her nearly two dozen times, in the hope of earning her trust, but it doesn't appear that I have and I'm not sure I ever will.

I know she was rescued from an industrial estate as a feral kitten, and as she hasn't demonstrationed any desire to go outside, it does look like she has adapted to being an inside cat easily enough.

I'm worried we are getting a cat that is going to end up spending her life hiding under the stairs, and as selfish as I know it sounds, but I was hoping for a bit more, like sitting on my bed or couch patting her while watching TV.

• Advertisement

My husband rescued a kitten from under machinery where he works. We fostered her for months until we found the right home for her. She would panic and run upstairs to hide every time someone came into the house. She vanished in seconds the day her new mum came to see her for the first time. Long story short, I meet the lady who adopted her a year ago every now and again and she's a very happy cat.

You're cat is in a strange place surrounded by other cats and at the moment you are a stranger. When you bring her home you just need to let her get to know and trust you and in no time she'll settle in once she feels safe. Different cats like different toys or playing with them in different ways. We have a Da Bird toy, the idea is you flick it around and the sound of the feathers in the air sounds like a real bird. 2 of our cats love it when it's in the air, the other 2 aren't interested unless I flick it around on the floor. Puss just needs time love and patience when you bring her home.:)

It can takes cats weeks to come round and stop being nervous and sometimes you end up with one who doesnt "cat" the way you want :) Says me with all my experience of 2 cats!

Our first girl hates being touched. She tolerates a small bit of petting, at particular times, chosen by her, and at all other times she either walks away, runs away, or actually makes a "Raaaoow" noise that means "dont touch me". Cuddly lap cat she is not. She barely gives affection unless she wants food. We joke that she doesnt like any people or any other cats. She is actually grumpy cat.

Our second girl wants to roll all over us and give purring love and collapse in joy at our feet and push her head at us etc.. She loves love and play. Neither of them really like to be picked up at all.

You get used to each other and the real personality comes out then. Our first cat fooled us by being affectionate for weeks til we loved her :)

She sounds like a cat who needs a chance, its a different ball game when ye share living quarters. I think the love will come. Rescues can be scary too.

Ive never had a cat before, I didnt like cats, but found a feral kitten last october. For 2 weeks I didnt see her - I had to keep her in a closed room (because she was feral & my 2 dogs would kill her) - she hid under furniture and spat at me if I came near. If I picked her up, she fought, bit, clawed and went berserk

Very slowly, she came to trust/accept human contact. Very slowly. I only persevered cos she was too tiny to survive on her own.

Now, she lives in the house. Beats the dogs up. Favourite thing is when I get her up in the mornings, she climbs inside my dressing gown :cool: for purr-fest and cuddling while I open curtains etc & get her food ready. She tries to eat my earrings. I love her to bits (me who didnt like cats) and she is the biggest ball of purr going.

So, basically what Im saying, well two things: That cat is in a scary shelter with too many people none of whom is her human. She has no routine, or safe place or own place. All that could change when u get her home and she gets to know you.

but (taking in to consideration that I have had only1 cat, but I do know animals) if you want an instant pet, maybe you should consider one of the other more friendly cats at the shelter you mentioned, the ones you know will want to sit on your lap and like being handled. Some ferals never get to that stage I know. Some cats are not people cats (see MrWalshs "Grumpy cat"!) As long as you are rescuing a cat, it shouldnt matter which cat you rescue, although if in your head THAT cat is 'yours' maybe you should just give her a chance?
    Hey, you could always go back and get a second cat later when 1st cat has settled, then have one friendly and one cat who just uses you as its slave?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

It can take a while for a cat who is nervous or skittish to come around. It can take months. The best thing to do is to create a safe, quiet environment and let her come to you. Tempt her with toys, treats, etc, but ultimately, let her make the decision to come out. And if she doesn't want to, that's okay. She'll get there.

If she's still young and you think she might be able to handle it, getting a second, more friendlier cat might not be a bad idea. I fostered a very timid, feral cat once and she quickly fell in love with my other cat, who is much more social and friendly. She started to take cues from him about playing and she would actually snuggle with me at night because she saw him doing it (and this is a cat who would run and hide every time I entered a room). I didn't have her long enough to really break through with her (I only had her for about a month), but I think she would have eventually come around.

I would advise you to keep at it though. It might take longer than you expect, but I've seen people stick it out with cats like this and the bond they end up having with the kitty is really, really strong.

I'm worried we are getting a cat that is going to end up spending her life hiding under the stairs, and as selfish as I know it sounds, but I was hoping for a bit more, like sitting on my bed or couch patting her while watching TV.
    Of our first two rescues (sisters) the shy one did not let us pat her for for weeks and she was constantly hiding behind something (her sister on the other hand was out walking around 5 min after arriving). What we got in the end which she used was a tunnel with a hole in the middle; it let her "hide" while still being petted. To this day she's hiding from every person except the two of us but she loves her pettings.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your messages, and for not judging me. I've talked it over with the OH, and he's reassured me too.

Part of the reason we chose her was that the rescue said she would be difficult to place as she is so reserved and timid; no good for a family, who could be looking for a more playful cat and no good for an older person as they could be looking for a more affectionate cat. I think I was just hurt that she ran away from me...

Fingers crossed when we collect her next week, she will be ok as we are hoping to get a second cat in the future.

Thanks for all your messages, and for not judging me. I've talked it over with the OH, and he's reassured me too.

Part of the reason we chose her was that the rescue said she would be difficult to place as she is so reserved and timid; no good for a family, who could be looking for a more playful cat and no good for an older person as they could be looking for a more affectionate cat. I think I was just hurt that she ran away from me...

Fingers crossed when we collect her next week, she will be ok as we are hoping to get a second cat in the future.

A little black cat with an amputated tail ran up to me one day as I was walking through an apartment complex. We don't live there and she must have been starving to have taken the risk. I'd a packet of cooked chicken I'd just bought and she wolfed it all down. We went and fed her every day until we were sure she didn't belong to anyone and we finally managed to get her into a cat carrier.

We weren't looking for a 4th cat and the plan was to rehome her. Turned out that she hates being picked up and doesn't really like other cats. The plus side is that once she got to know and trust us she showed us what a little love bug she is. She loves to snuggle in beside me, races me around the house and would sit on my lap all day if she could. Now she is the kind of cat that would definitely be described as hard to place and not for families but she's perfect for us.:)

aonb wrote: »
    Hey, you could always go back and get a second cat later when 1st cat has settled

How do you judge when a cat that hides a lot and won't let you touch them has settled?

Aw, don't be silly, you're taking an animal into your home, it's in everyone's best interests that it works out!

You can get lots of things to help settle anxious cats, feliway infuser, RC calm food (this really helped with our second cat fearfully crying during the night), a cuddle bag, and you can make a little cat hidey cave with cushions and blankets.

Mostly though, just giving her space and establishing a routine will help her find her confidence. Our second cat cried at her litter tray after using it the first few times, we think it was because she thought she had to live with a dirty litter tray forever the poor thing. Once we cleaned it out she was happy again. And once she realised it got cleaned out regularly she was grand.

I would say when you get her confine her to a small area, just one room for the first week at least then slowly let her see other rooms. She needs to establish her safe room.

Ok, so we went to visit our future cat today; it took nearly four hours before we were able to hold her... Spent hours sitting there, slowly patting her, hoping to build up her trust. She was purring, so we were hopeful. OH then picked her, and two minutes later, she urinated on him.

This is so disheartening

A lot of cats don't like to be picked up, it makes them feel disoriented and vulnerable, so don't get disheartened. You're still strangers to her at this point. When do you get to bring her home?

It's not the first time we have picked her up, but it's definit the first time she has peed on either of us.

We are supposed to pick her up Tuesday, but even my OH is having serious doubts now.

I'm also wary of the rescues reaction if we say we don't want her anymore, but we would like a less difficult cat instead.

After discussing with the OH, we are going to postpone taking her and see if we can work on our relationship with her, as we think it would be worse to take her and return her than delay the adoption. Too much change might damage her confidence if it all goes wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭morgana

Imagine it from the cat's point of view. She is in a busy place with no primary human to focus on. The is probably stressed, can't escape and being handled by strangers, even if you have met her before. The situation will be totally different when you bring her home. She needs to feel safe first, it will probably take time for her to get used to her new surroundings and learn to trust you. That won't happen in a day or even a week. Its best to leave them to their own devices and let them come to you or approach them always in a manner where they have a option to retreat.
    Trust will come. It will take and patience. The more you have to work for it the more rewarding it will be in the end.

It's not the first time we have picked her up, but it's definit the first time she has peed on either of us.

We are supposed to pick her up Tuesday, but even my OH is having serious doubts now.

I'm also wary of the rescues reaction if we say we don't want her anymore, but we would like a less difficult cat instead.

After discussing with the OH, we are going to postpone taking her and see if we can work on our relationship with her, as we think it would be worse to take her and return her than delay the adoption. Too much change might damage her confidence if it all goes wrong
    We have a cat for over six years that still don't want to be lifted but she's very cuddly but on her terms. She'll not sit in your lap but she'll sit next to you and demand cuddling for hours!

So if she's letting you cuddle her you are gaining her trust; simply work with her and let her take it on her time line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Ok, so we went to visit our future cat today; it took nearly four hours before we were able to hold her... Spent hours sitting there, slowly patting her, hoping to build up her trust. She was purring, so we were hopeful. OH then picked her, and two minutes later, she urinated on him.

This is so disheartening
    Don't give up.
    You can't base your decision on the cat's reaction to either of you while she's in a Rescue, surrounded by other cats.

Even if you visited her daily, her surroundings in the Rescue would far outweigh your interaction with her.

If you decide to go ahead, take her home, confine her to one room with everything she needs, (litter tray, food, water, bed, boxes to hide in, toys ), spend as much time as you can with her, just sitting there, reading or talkign to her. She will need time to unstress, get familiar with her surroundings, and with both of you. Let her come to you, don't approach her or pick her up. If she gets brave and comes to you, offer her a little treat.
    Get a toy with a long string and she might relax and play with it, if it's at a distance from you.

If you have the patience and the time, she will settle down.
    She might never like to be lifted, some cats just don't. But she might enjoy sitting beside you on the couch or ... all over your keyboard this time next year!

• Advertisement
Advertisement