Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adopting a cat - what else do I need?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Having a female cat that regularly gets stress related cystitis, I'd be a little concerned. Paw marks in the litter with no obvious signs of urine would ring alarm bells for me. I don't now what kind of litter it was in the box she went in, but certainly with the fine clumping litter, if you look very, very carefully you'll often see a tennsy weensy little spot on the surface. It's often difficult to see blood unless there's lots of it, or you're using a white litter though, and even then it's just a pink tinge to what little urine there is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

One has Cats Best Natures Gold (looks like wood pellets) and the other is Cats Best Oko Plus.

She's still upstairs lying in the bath, happy to be patted and seems much better in mood than when we first brought her home.

I'll give the vet another call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

on_my_oe wrote: »
    She was sitting like it was a cushion, and over the the night she has been into both boxes (each with a different litter), and done a bit of walking - lots of paw marks but no actual business.

I don't think she has a UTI, I think it's more like she is still getting her bearings and still isn't confident of the facilities. She is very much a little lady in her behaviour, so is probably crossing her legs. The rug she wet is dark charcoal so I can't check for blood marks. If she hasn't used a litter tray today, I'll take her to the vets but the vet didn't seem that concerned when I called yesterday; he said any bladder release, even in an inconvenient place, is good news.

She is becoming more bold; woke up this morning and she was again on the landing outside our bedroom door, then she followed the OH into the bathroom while he brushed his teeth, and decided to stretch out in the bath. She has had a good feast of biscuits and jelly over the night too.
    Sounds like she's ok, just keep an eye just in case.

When any of my cats had cystitis they *always* sought out cold surfaces to pee on, the shower tray was a favourite, but wash hand basins and the kitchen sink were also used. At least there we could see the faint pink colour, it was like they were making sure we noticed.
    I think they associated the litter trays with the burning pain and kept away.

So if Foxy Princess :) has used an "inconvenient place", use a bit of kitchen roll to mop up and a pink tinge would be easy to spot.

Spoke to the vet again, and he isn't concerned... So I rang another vet and she wasn't concerned, so I'll keep an eye out just in case. I am jealous of her bladder control though! The vets did suggest she might prefer a covered box, so I've put the cover back on one (I removed it, thinking it might frighten her!).

Princess Foxy has spent most of the day lying in the bath. She did spend half an hour playing with her toy danglers then back to her spit in the bath.

I'm sure Papa will convince her to come out and play when he gets home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Spoke to the vet again, and he isn't concerned... So I rang another vet and she wasn't concerned, so I'll keep an eye out just in case. I am jealous of her bladder control though! The vets did suggest she might prefer a covered box, so I've put the cover back on one (I removed it, thinking it might frighten her!).

Princess Foxy has spent most of the day lying in the bath. She did spend half an hour playing with her toy danglers then back to her spit in the bath.

I'm sure Papa will convince her to come out and play when he gets home.

Excellent!
    That's great news that she's really settling in so well.
    The vet has a point, maybe the covered tray will give her the privacy she needs.
    (Our cats are ok with the cover, but not with the flap, so we had to remove that!)

For her part, Princess Foxy should be pleased with herself... she has you well under the paw within days of her arrival! :)

SUCCESS!! Princess Foxy used the kitty litter!!

(Oh God, I've turned into a cat lady)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Aw, such a Good Girl!

And you seem to be responding well to your training, happily under the paw :)

Papa will be very happy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

You are a sad pathethic cat-slave now
    In fact you are really particularly sad and pathetic because you only have her for a few days!!
    It took me SEVERAL weeks to become the sad pathethic cat-slave that I am :D

Im delighted to read Princess Foxy has finally put you and Papa out of your misery. But seriously though, such a relief for you to know that she is settling in and the final problem has been solved. Its the pits when you are worried about a new pet settling in etc especially when she was a rescue that you felt you were helping by rehoming. You are doing extremely well in the very short time you have had her. Well done all 3 of you, and continued success

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Cat Woman, not cat lady, there's a world of difference.;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

I've never called myself a cat person really, I like them but prefer dogs.

But I REALLY want one now :D this is such a nice thread to read, so many kitty stories I'm really missing out! Princess Foxy sounds like such a cutie and I'm so tempted to look into adopting a kitty myself :D

• Advertisement

DeltaWhite wrote: »
    I've never called myself a cat person really, I like them but prefer dogs.

But I REALLY want one now :D this is such a nice thread to read, so many kitty stories I'm really missing out! Princess Foxy sounds like such a cutie and I'm so tempted to look into adopting a kitty myself :D

I'm kinda the reverse of you.:D I suppose one of the fundamental differences between cats and dogs is that cats make you earn their trust and love. They are such independent affectionate lovely little beings. Our 4 all have entirely different personalities and quirks, adopting really is a great experience. With ours 3 of them just showed up in our garden over the past 7 years and 1 was abandoned in an apartment complex I was walking through one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I'm enjoying my time as a cat owner. It's very early days for me. I as I said in an earlier post have taken on two kittens. One kitten is scared stiff though she sniffed my feet this morning. The other kitten loves to explore every opportunity she gets. They are from the same litter. To watch them move is very graceful particularly the less scared one. Their ability to climb is remarkable. The two girls are clearly very close and watching them play with the cat toys is very rewarding. Hopefully in time a bond will form. At worst I have taken two cats from a rescue situation and given them, I hope, a comfortable home. A win win.

The whole trust with the cats is definitely a patience game. Got one cat to eat wet food out of a shallow tin for me with the tin held in my hand. The other kitten is scared stiff but is gradually hiding less and less as the days go by. Will post updates as the days and weeks go by. Must say even with no tangible rapport with the little ones I love them to pieces and am fascinated observing them individually and collectively. Meant to add that the scared one's eye infection cleared up fine.

Princess foxy definitely has a favourite human, and it's not me :(

She has moved on from sleeping in the bath, and is instead sleeping under our bed. Unfortunately during the day, as during the night she likes to explore our bedroom - freaked me out the first night... I'm hoping she gets over it quickly.

Her other favourite place is the dining room table, watching TV with Papa.

She loves the jelly on her meals, and often licks the jelly off, leaving the meat chunks. I've tried several different types of meals, but I think she is just living up to her moniker of princess foxy.

Amongst her exploring she hasn't yet been tempted by the naff but tall cat tree, or the cat tunnel or the treat ball, but she likes the feather toy. She also likes a small 'crystal ball' trinket - we think she likes admiring herself in the reflection ;)

Everything is still very new and exciting to her. It's great that she's settled in so fast. My husband is Felix's 'person', the other 3 chose me as their person.:) Look at it this way, at least it won't be you they follow to the loo. I have a little army of cats wherever I go in the house. I usually have to put a pillow on my husbands side of the bed so that he can get in, as sometimes there'll be 3 cats on the bed at night, they all wander off to their own beds then, they just like to know where I am.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I think cats can switch favourite people too (like toddlers as well!). Our cat used to be a daddy's boy because my husband was doing a PhD and was at home a lot with him. Now I'm a stay at home mum and my husband works full time so he has me all day and I'm number one :D he follows me around the house and everything!

DeltaWhite wrote: »

Princess Foxy is a cutie, and I am glad we adopted her, even if I'm not her favourite human! Plus it gives me an excuse to badger the OH for a second cat :D

Is there any time guideline as to how long it can takes kittens to bond with you. Today one kitten insists on hissing and the other has hidden behind a dressing table all day. Somedays I feel that the ice is melting then you get days like today. Any advice? I have the little ones 9 days at this stage. They are well fed, watered, litter box changed daily, they have two cat tunnels, cat beds and scratch posts.

I rescued some kittens mid Dec and they went to foster and it took until the end of jan for one of them to be fully trusting of humans. There's no set timeframe but if they are under 3 months then they will come round, it can just take time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

holyhead wrote: »
    Is there any time guideline as to how long it can takes kittens to bond with you. Today one kitten insists on hissing and the other has hidden behind a dressing table all day. Somedays I feel that the ice is melting then you get days like today. Any advice? I have the little ones 9 days at this stage. They are well fed, watered, litter box changed daily, they have two cat tunnels, cat beds and scratch posts.
    As long as it takes to be honest; usually you'd say cats take six weeks to adopt to changes (hence why they love routine) so stick in there.

MrWalsh wrote: »
    I rescued some kittens mid Dec and they went to foster and it took until the end of jan for one of them to be fully trusting of humans. There's no set timeframe but if they are under 3 months then they will come round, it can just take time.

These are 13 weeks old now. I guess some days are just frustrating that's all. I know the rewards in the long run will make the early difficult days worth enduring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I found Tux on October 1st. She was a feral kitten. Her sibs had all died. She was living (somehow) on my hens mash :eek: I trapped her, and had her in our wash house for 3 wks. During that time, I never saw her. She fled behind things when I appeared 5-6 times a day with warm kitten milk and food (the only way I knew there was a kitten still in there was the food & milk were eaten!) One day I managed to grab her and brought her indoors. For another week or two it was her peeping at me and slowly getting closer for me to stroke. I sat reading on the floor or talking on the phone so she got used to me - i.e. sitting quietly doing nothing.
    Now she is a total snugglepuss - she is a very loving and loved little cat - she loves our dog - she sleeps in at night and is free to wander in/out during the day but never leaves the property. I never had a cat before, and to be honest never really liked them, but Tux has won me over - I love her to bits. So dont get impatient - you'll get there - eventually - just let them come to you, the fact that you are their source of food will help. Oh and talk to them lots!

Today, technically yesterday was an interesting day engaging with the cats. My fishing rod thingy and the red dot thing came in the post. Had great fun playing with them via those two toys. They came right up to me using the toys. Resisted the urge to pet either. Built the cat tree tonight.
    Now the disturbing bit. The rescue lady posted a picture of what she called "The Twins" on my fb wall in late Feb. On a private message in early march she described them as being 12 weeks old ie 3 months. Now I happened to be browsing FB and on another page in an entry from Dec the same picture shows up. They are described as 10 weeks old and as he?
    I'm left wondering what kittens/cats did I get? Are they male or female. Did she do this deliberately or an innocent mistake. Also when I went to collect them one of them had cat flu. She told me they had their first vaccination but I'm also told that cat flu is unlikely if they have been vaccinated. She would'nt give me their medical history on the grounds that she wanted to make sure I brought them back to her to be neutered? Said she would get a good deal from the vet etc. I would have to pay for the second vaccinations. Something is definitely amiss here. Don't get me wrong I love the two little ones very much. Just confused, disappointed and annoyed.

Today, technically yesterday was an interesting day engaging with the cats. My fishing rod thingy and the red dot thing came in the post. Had great fun playing with them via those two toys. They came right up to me using the toys. Resisted the urge to pet either. Built the cat tree tonight.

Princess Foxy loves her feather toy, she will happily spend hours playing with it, and it's really helped bring out the playfulness in her. We brought her a laser toy on the weekend though, and no interest at all :(
    We have gotten into a routine where if we feed her a small piece of roast chicken or a couple of Dreamies, she then allows a pat. She likes her pats a bit vigorous and eventually she does this purr that sounds like a double purr before she starts a new type of purr that sounds like she is cooing (like a dove). She will roll around, changing positions so everywhere is rubbed including her belly. She will often let us pat her without a pre-snack but it's like the snack lets her know this is going to be an extended patting session.
    She is also getting more curious, exploring more of the house. Her current favourite place is sitting on the dining room table watching TV (I'm hoping she will move onto the couch, really hate cats on tables!) and in front of the windows in our bedroom watching everything go past. She did discover her cat tree, with some Dreamies leading her up it, but she can take it or leave it (and mostly leaves it). We are going to move it to a new position, to see if she likes it more elsewhere, but if not, donate it to the home.
    I'm left wondering what kittens/cats did I get? Are they male or female. Did she do this deliberately or an innocent mistake. Also when I went to collect them one of them had cat flu. She told me they had their first vaccination but I'm also told that cat flu is unlikely if they have been vaccinated.

She honestly could be confused, dependent on the volume of cats they help.
    The only actual healthcare documentation I received was Princess Foxy's vaccination card, but I did get a verbal rundown of her previous operations (she's had her spay and two others)

Don't get me wrong I love the two little ones very much. Just confused, disappointed and annoyed.

Youre building a good relationship with the kittens and by the sounds of things you will be handling them yourself very soon. The FB thing could easily be a mix up.

You can take them to a vet yourself and find out gender, age and to get them neutered and vaccinated.

At this point you have taken responsibility for them so you dont need to keep the rescue involved at all if you dont want to.

• Advertisement

We have gotten into a routine where if we feed her a small piece of roast chicken or a couple of Dreamies, she then allows a pat. She likes her pats a bit vigorous and eventually she does this purr that sounds like a double purr before she starts a new type of purr that sounds like she is cooing (like a dove). She will roll around, changing positions so everywhere is rubbed including her belly. She will often let us pat her without a pre-snack but it's like the snack lets her know this is going to be an extended patting session.
    She is also getting more curious, exploring more of the house. Her current favourite place is sitting on the dining room table watching TV (I'm hoping she will move onto the couch, really hate cats on tables!) and in front of the windows in our bedroom watching everything go past. She did discover her cat tree, with some Dreamies leading her up it, but she can take it or leave it (and mostly leaves it). We are going to move it to a new position, to see if she likes it more elsewhere, but if not, donate it to the home.

I love coo-ing purrs!!! Our second girl does miaows that sound like squeaks, or even beeps - so cute!!!

Try the cat tree by a window - she might still be too young to really appreciate it yet though.

Im fascinated by how much they both love chasing the dot and swatting the toy on the edge of the fishing rod. Will try and start setting aside a regular play time slot to give them some routine. Want them to associate my presence with having fun. There fearless when playing. Lovely to see

Im fascinated by how much they both love chasing the dot and swatting the toy on the edge of the fishing rod. Will try and start setting aside a regular play time slot to give them some routine. Want them to associate my presence with having fun. There fearless when playing. Lovely to see

Very nice way to build a relationship. We limit time with the dot as we read somewhere it can frustrate cats as there is no "kill" when they catch it - as opposed to catching and killing the feather toy.

Both of our girls love fishing pole type toys but our first is afraid of the dot - the second goes crazy for it!

We also have a feathery thing like a feather duster that they love.

I make sure they both get to nab the dot and grip the end of the fishing rod.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

That's the point of introduction by playing; they get so focused on the play that they forget to be afraid of you and suddenly you are simply part of every day life and it's like they never were afraid of you :).

Personally we use the laser dot for exercising; we get the cats to run up and down the length of the apartment and the dot lives under a bookcase (we always end with it "going away" under it). We even had our cats camping there to see if it would come out at times :)

I make sure they both get to nab the dot and grip the end of the fishing rod.

We expanded Princess Foxys Kingdom yesterday, and opened the door to one of the spare rooms - great excitement sniffing every surface and looking out the window in every direction.

Woke up this morning at 4am to pitiful meowing, sounded like she was crying and in pain, gave me a fright as we haven't yet heard her meow. She was on the spare bed asleep; we checked her over to see if she was injured, but she appeared fine, and was purring away, obviously happy with this unexpected patting session in the middle of the night. We can only guess she was having a nightmare in her sleep, poor thing! :(

This morning she was full of beans, running around, trying to encourage a game of chase and following us everywhere.

I would gladly wring the neck of whoever it was who abused her before she was rescued by the home. Evil b*******.

on_my_oe, we have found with our own recently rescued princess, that she does cry at night sometimes. It was much more frequent at the beginning and I worried she was having trouble with the loo because I would hear her crying, then hear her using the litter tray, then more crying. But she would use the litter try with no crying in the daytime. Anyway as she became more confident and comfortable with us it has largely died off, except if the weather is stormy, she seems to be afraid of the wind. She also cried a bit after staying in the cattery for a few days - but once her routine settled back again she stopped.

Sat down in the room this morning and of the cats came over to have a good sniff of me. The second is using the cat tree and hiding less than before. She was the more timid of the two.

Another interesting day. Friends brought the twins to the vet. Turns out at least one of the kittens is male. Was told it was a she. The sex of the other kitten is not yet known. Turns out the poor criters has feline calicivirus. Their right eye looked like it was giving them discomfort. I will have help applying the fucithalmic cream. The more I play with them the more they seem to relax. I would imagine petting is a while off yet but as long as I can see daily signs of progress I'm happy. The previously christened Heidi is now Oscar. Holly will remain until I know differently.

Oscar is quite the little explorer. He likes to come downstairs to the kitchen and check out every nook and cranny. The vet told my friends that the kittens were most likely feral and seemed unused to human handling. As they are just three months old I have got them just in time. In the bedroom, in effect their base, they are now becoming much more relaxed and taking to sprawling out on the floor in the open as opposed to hiding at every opportunity they deem it necessary to. I can also walk around the bedroom without them freaking out. I will have them two weeks tomorrow.

The reason for daily posting is that I hope if in future someone else takes on kittens they can re read these posts and see that although acclimitising kittens to new surroundings can be a frustrating process with patience, love and good care you can and fingers crossed will get there. I have no prior experience with kittens/cats in terms of ownership. I was a pure blank canvas but I have learned a heck of alot over the past fortnight from living with kittens plus the wisdom of my cat loving friends.

I love the regular updates, this is such a lovely thread.

You've come a long way in 2 weeks with them Holyhead. You're doing great!

Not much adventuring from the two. Surprised as Oscar usually comes downstairs for a nosey. Both kittens hissed at me today. Even with the medication a combination of new surroundings coupled with the eye infection won't have helped their mood. The big change generally is the lack of hiding. As both kittens were apparently feral socialisation will take longer than usual I guess. Just letting them be. Changing litter, keeping water fresh and dry food available at all times with some wet food for variety and a treat. This is their third Sunday with me. Progress is slow but progress is there.

So the kittens got there medication again tonight thanks to my friends. They are getting easier for my friends to handle with each subsequent encounter. I got brave and when they were resting in their corners got to pet them by placing a fleecy jumper sleeve over my left hand. Not confident enough yet to scruff them myself. My friends have handled cats for years.

• Advertisement

Get a good thick pair of gardening gloves so you can try to handle them without fear?

Sounds like a good suggestion. They are fond of hissing when you do try to handle them. Still an all they have come along way in two weeks.

This morning, unusually both kittens came down to the kitchen. Also positive was while Holly scarpered as usual with sudden movement, Oscar went as far as the kitchen door before coming back in. He usually either vanished upstairs or at best to the bottom of the stairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Aw so cute :) Clumping is good but what age is the cat? I think there is a school if thought that it's not suitable for very young cats in case they ingest it. We used to use Pura clumping moonlight ultra, it's great! :)

After each application of medication they seem to relax to the point that I can pet them particularly Oscar. This in turn reduces the fear factor for me of getting scratched and helps them to see that I'm less nervous. All things considered they are doing well. Their eye problem seems to be clearing up and no doubt that must improve their mood.

That's great that their eyes are improving. Try and get the play going in such a way that they have to walk over you or go under your bent legs etc, just to help them get more confident when near you.

With Arya, morning time is best for petting, and after breakfast. But come evening and all she wants is play.

I had Oscar up on my knees last night eating out of a tin of food. Don't fret their main food is rc kitten dry. Holly was falling asleep in my friend's arm after getting her med last night. Both are currently sniffing out every inch of the kitchen.

I had Oscar up on my knees last night eating out of a tin of food. Don't fret their main food is rc kitten dry. Holly was falling asleep in my friend's arm after getting her med last night. Both are currently sniffing out every inch of the kitchen.

Hey, don't worry about it, just use whatever methods work.:D

Hey, don't worry about it, just use whatever methods work.:D

Exactly, I was going to suggest using small smelly bits of chicken or tuna to encourage them to get closer - food bribery is grand in this situation!!

• Advertisement

We have done the same... Roast chicken in our house last night, and princess foxy was eating tidbits from the table. OH put a paper napkin on his lap and placed pieces of chicken on it; Princess Foxy was picking them up and eating them - well worth washing the floor!

Advertisement