Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changed health insurance during pregnancy - noone wants to cover consultant charges

Options
  • 26-02-2015 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, I feel like hitting the wall so I thought I will ask for advice here.

Let me show you a timeline of events:

1.May 2014 - got pregnant while being insured VHI
    2. Summer 2014 - paid consultant fees (semi-private care) in the amount of 750e
    3. 31 Dec 2014 - my employer changed my insurance from VHI to Aviva (without asking for my consent ;)). Was told the level of care won't be affected, no waiting periods apply etc.
    4. Feb 2015 - baby was born

After the baby was born I tried to claim the consultant fees back with VHI (350 out of 750 paid, as a pre & post natal charge). They refused my claim saying "Please note that the mother must be insured with VHI for 52 weeks before the birth of the baby before being entitled to this benefit" (I was insured with them for 6 years, but not for the last few weeks)

Aviva refuses to pay too, saying that I while paying consultant fees I wasn't Aviva customer yet.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Contact the health insurance authority straight away. And keep us posted. Im shocked at this behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

What maternity cover did your VHI plan have and when did you first take out a VHI plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Maria123

Company Plan Plus Level 1. I've been with them since 2008 until 31 Dec 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Submit a formal complaint to VHI and then to the Financial Services Ombudsman if needed. The Health Insurance Authority does not have the powers to investigate claim disputes.

Advertisement