Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this setup work?

Options
  • 26-02-2015 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

We currently get our broadband via phone line and a sky wifi hub. I would like to limit the access my kids have to the internet on tablets and a laptop... so that i can turn off their wifi access at a certain time.

I have a few old eircom wifi routers and i was thinking of using one connected to the sky hub by ethernet cable therefore having two wifi networks broadcasting in the house. I would keep the kids off the sky hub wifi network and have their tech connect to the old eircom router wifi.

I would then have the eircom router on a basic plug in timer that would go on and off at the times i set.

Would this setup work? I know i would probably need to turn on bridging mode in the old eircom router if it has it?

Any cons to this setup?

Thanks for any help on this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I know some routers have this exact functionality. You can allow some hosts access at certain times and other hosts access all the time. Your Sky hub might allow this.

Many routers will also have a "WiFi off" timer in their power-saving options. So in your setup, rather than using a plug-in timer (what's to stop your kids plugging straight into the wall? :)), you can configure the router itself to switch off WiFi at set times.

Aside from a factory reset of the router, there's no way your kids can get around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

seamus wrote: »
    I know some routers have this exact functionality. You can allow some hosts access at certain times and other hosts access all the time. Your Sky hub might allow this.

Many routers will also have a "WiFi off" timer in their power-saving options. So in your setup, rather than using a plug-in timer (what's to stop your kids plugging straight into the wall? :)), you can configure the router itself to switch off WiFi at set times.

Aside from a factory reset of the router, there's no way your kids can get around it.

Sorry, I meant to mention the routers are in an attic space above the living area (our house has a weird layout and this is the most central place for it to be) - so our kids cannot get anywhere near it.

I checked the sky hubs settings page - there is a wifi on/off setting, but i want to limit wifi for only a select few gadgets... hence why i was thinking of the two wifi connection method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

This should be do-able. As long as you turn off DHCP on the eircom router.
    Google around with the exact model of your Eircom router and you'll find plenty of tutorials...

The SKY hub itself is not that great as far as being configurable.

Advertisement