Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Spring forward - March 9th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

Meh @ watch. I just need one to tell the time. Time will tell if this really takes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Disappointed with the Intel Core M chip in the new MacBook. Otherwise I'd be all over that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

mad muffin wrote: »
    Not that I'll be getting it (waiting for gen 2). Did they give prices for the Apple Watch?

Watch sport (aluminium):
    38mm face $349
    42mm face $399

Watch (stainless steel):
    38mm face $549 - $1049
    42mm face $599 - $1099

Watch edition: $10,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I'll get my butler to pick me up one of the gold ones, a snip at $10k a pop.

banquo wrote: »
    Disappointed with the Intel Core M chip in the new MacBook. Otherwise I'd be all over that.

Curious to see how the whole thing works with only one USB-C port on it... Damn that gold is sexy though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Curious to see how the whole thing works with only one USB-C port on it... Damn that gold is sexy though.

I foresee an expensive adaptor pack for that USB-C port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Have I got this right? Current 11.6 inch Macbook Air = 2.38lb. New 12 inch Macbook = 2.03lb.

https://www.apple.com/mac/compare/

By comparison, the Macbook Air's not very, well, light and airy.

Cheaper though but.

mailforkev wrote: »
    I foresee an expensive adaptor pack for that USB-C port.

Maybe, maybe not.... if it's a universal standard that's going to be enforced across the board with manufacturers then there won't be many apple-specific adapters required.

Lightning adapter is the only thing I can think of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Hence the importance of the apps section of the presentation. The message is "Developers are already on board with the Apple Watch. There'll be buckets of stuff to play with!"

The TV commercial they've just played gives the same message. A massive app eco-system already in place. Don't how true that is, but that's the pitch.

It was lacking, I agree. But that’s to be expected. I agree that it’s the content that’s going to make or break this thing. We’ll have to wait and see what happens.

I’m no plans to get one myself. Not now or ever. Wrist watches aren’t my thing and I wish Apple had taken a more innovative approach to wearables, created a new market rather than simply trying to butt in on an existing one, a market which in my view has messed up priorities. Imagine if they had called the iPod the iWalkman and tried to sell it to walkman users. That’s what the Apple Watch feels like. I know wrist watches have been around a long time, but I still think there was another way to go with this.

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Have I got this right? Current 11.6 inch Macbook Air = 2.38lb. New 12 inch Macbook = 2.03lb.

https://www.apple.com/mac/compare/

By comparison, the Macbook Air's not very, well, light and airy.

Cheaper though but.

All it means is that the Air will be next for a refresh then... Given the size of the logic boards and new batteries, I'd expect the Air to get a whole lot thinner and lighter in the next version

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

DubDJ wrote: »
    I don't understand the pricing on the standard Apple watch. $549 up to $1049 depending on the band? How could a band add $500 to the price?

its a scam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what does it cost apple to produce the gold watch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ppl talking about not going to track sleep on a 18hr watch, do you wear your watch in bed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Zcott wrote: »
    Sure Belfast is just up the road ;-)

Not for us Kerry folk ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

$14,000.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

ppl talking about not ding to track sleep on 18hr watch, do you were your watch in bed?

No but it is being pushed at the health tracker / fitness market and sleep quality, resting heartrate etc. are metrics considered useful to track.

It was lacking, I agree. But that’s to be expected. I agree that it’s the content that’s going to make or break this thing. We’ll have to wait and see what happens.

I’m no plans to get one myself. Not now or ever. Wrist watches aren’t my thing and I wish Apple had taken a more innovative approach to wearables, created a new market rather than simply trying to butt in on an existing one, a market which in my view has messed up priorities. Imagine if they had called the iPod the iWalkman and tried to sell it to walkman users. That’s what the Apple Watch feels like. I know wrist watches have been around a long time, but I still think there was another way to go with this.

I know what you mean, but at the same time - most people don't want EXTRA items. The reason the iPhone worked is because it added extra functionality to a device that people already carried anyway. It revolutionised the phone.

This is the same with the watch. A lot of people already wear watches on a daily basis - adding extra functionality to a device people already are comfortable wearing and without the need of carrying an extra wearable is key.

The more effort people have to make to change - the less likely they are to change. By integrating these devices into things people are already accustomed to and see as part of daily life and daily routines, they're much more likely to accept and embrace change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

All it means is that the Air will be next for a refresh then... Given the size of the logic boards and new batteries, I'd expect the Air to get a whole lot thinner and lighter in the next version

They refreshed the Air today. But in the long run, it’s done. It’ll be gradually discontinued like the non-Retina MBP was. There’s no need for so much overlap in screen sizes. Processing power in the new MB will catch up, prices will drop and the 13-inch Retina MBP will reduce in size and price to squeeze out the need for the Air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Watch is definitely not for me.
    As an aside those videos of how the aluminium and steel are made were cringe worthy I thought. It was like Apple becoming a parody of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

iOS 8.2 downloading now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

I think the Professor is right on the Macbook Air. Not much point in having a separate line of laptops whose primary selling points are their thinness and lightness when the mid-range line is now thinner and lighter.

As for the Apple Watch, I think it will struggle to turn into a iPad/iPhone monster [mind you, that's what people said about the iPhone and iPad]. I don't know of anyone except my 62 year old eldest brother who wears a watch regularly. I have the time on my phone. All the apps that they're offering for the Apple Watch are also on my phone.

The two distinct styles (and pricing) of watch tell you where they think the sales will come from - sports and fitness types [hellooooo Christy Turlington] who will use it for running split times/calories burned/heartrate etc and business types who are looking for an expensive accessory to go with their designer threads. The rest of us will look at our phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't get the watch at all.

Yes, it'll be good for fitness apps etc but for normal stuff I don't get it.

Especially as you need an iPhone to work it, so I'l have my phone with me all the time and do not see any point in using my watch for texting or phone calls.

Having to charge a watch everynight could be a dealbreaker too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

adox wrote: »
    Watch is definitely not for me.
    As an aside those videos of how the aluminium and steel are made were cringe worthy I thought. It was like Apple becoming a parody of themselves.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't get the watch at all.

Yes, it'll be good for fitness apps etc but for normal stuff I don't get it.

Especially as you need an iPhone to work it, so I'l have my phone with me all the time and do not see any point in using my watch for texting or phone calls.

Having to charge a watch everynight coudl be a dealbreaker too

And yet android based watches with much less functionality and quality are currently huge sellers. Just look at the Pebble Time. Currently $17,087,501 funding on kickstarter. And that's just one model of one watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 remnant

What would the likely cost of the Apple TV be in Ireland, after the US price drop?

How would expect anybody here to know and what does it matter as believe it or not Apple is a capitalist organisation and believe in profit.

I know what you mean, but at the same time - most people don't want EXTRA items. The reason the iPhone worked is because it added extra functionality to a device that people already carried anyway. It revolutionised the phone.

This is the same with the watch. A lot of people already wear watches on a daily basis - adding extra functionality to a device people already are comfortable wearing and without the need of carrying an extra wearable is key.

The more effort people have to make to change - the less likely they are to change. By integrating these devices into things people are already accustomed to and see as part of daily life and daily routines, they're much more likely to accept and embrace change.

This is undoubtedly the approach Apple has taken but I find it very conservative and un-Apple-like. I mean, didn't the smartphone replace the watch for a lot of people, especially young people? For these folks the Apple Watch will be an extra wearable that they’ll have to justify. If they are a health or fitness enthusiast that won’t be too hard and that’s where I see it’s real usefulness being. But for those who haven’t been wearing watches for the last several years and obviously don’t care about the fashion angle - what’s the point? Apple seem to have forgotten this group, which strikes me as silly as they are the youngest group and the one they really need to win over for it to be a success.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Was hoping for an iPod Touch update, but knew it was a very slim possibility. No interest in the Watch.

And yet android based watches with much less functionality and quality are currently huge sellers. Just look at the Pebble Time. Currently $17,087,501 funding on kickstarter. And that's just one model of one watch.

I would not say Android watches are huge sellers and I have never seen anyone with one.

Not my point anyway. I was talking about not seeing what the purpose or advantage of them is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

42mm Stainless steel with a Black Leather Loop. That's me £600 poorer.

Advertisement