Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Spring forward - March 9th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

8.2 has the watch app installed and no way to remove it. Just to remind you that Apple have a watch out and they'd really like you to buy it.

I'm planning on holding off for a while, and I might even try holding off until the second generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

DubDJ wrote: »
    I don't understand the pricing on the standard Apple watch. $549 up to $1049 depending on the band? How could a band add $500 to the price?

Apple seems to think this is worth $449. If there are people willing to send that sort of ridiculous money on a strap, Apple would be mad to refuse them I suppose.

I've no interest in a smart watch. I haven't worn a watch since I was 10 and don't intend starting now. It was all fairly underwhelming I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

remnant wrote: »
    What would the likely cost of the Apple TV be in Ireland, after the US price drop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

The top price isn't $10,000 either. It's $17,000.

**** me that's the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a fair while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

The top price isn't $10,000 either. It's $17,000.

**** me that's the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a fair while.

Just seen it & still rubbing my eyes typing :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

This is undoubtedly the approach Apple has taken but I find it very conservative and un-Apple-like. I mean, didn't the smartphone replace the watch for a lot of people, especially young people? For these folks the Apple Watch will be an extra wearable that they’ll have to justify. If they are a health or fitness enthusiast that won’t be too hard and that’s where I see it’s real usefulness being. But for those who haven’t been wearing watches for the last several years and obviously don’t care about the fashion angle - what’s the point? Apple seem to have forgotten this group, which strikes me as silly as they are the youngest group and the one they really need to win over for it to be a success.

I don't know, I think you're placing too much importance on that particular group. Particularly when that's the only group without a source of income to actually buy apple products :p

I'd say I just about fall into the group you'd consider for the iPhone replacing the watch, yet it didn't. I've always had (and always will) have a watch. Like Tim Cook said - It's been a childhood dream to have a spy-like watch that could do everything the apple watch can.

And while I'm aware that may in no way represent the entire population - Apple has never been the leader in terms of market share or consumers, and yet they're the most profitable business in the world. I feel that Apple watch will survive even if they don't capture certain types of audience, and realistically - there will always be future devices in the apple ecosystem that may be better suited to what you envision.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    I would not say Android watches are huge sellers and I have never seen anyone with one.

Not my point anyway. I was talking about not seeing what the purpose or advantage of them is.
    Yes, because Bray is the metropolis of the world :pac:

Seriously - the majority of sales would be in the US/Asia. In all things techy, Ireland is always seriously behind the trend. From internet provision to consumer electronics. I wouldn't be judging the success of an entire world market based on one persons experience in a town with a population of ~30,000.

smartwatch.png?maxX=490&maxY=309

~20,000,000 units sold in 2014, expected to hit 90,000,000 by 2018. That means the market is currently worth over $2 billion, and could hit over $10 billion within 3 years.

But because you've never seen one, let's assume the market is a flop.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    The new macbook looks glorious, but display/usb/charger port all in one doesn't sound very appealing. A dedicated usb slot would have made it perfect. Yes, adapters, but who likes using / carrying them!

Also no magsafe. I've lost count how many times that has saved my life.

I was thinking about magsafe afterwards - I've a feeling we'll see a USB-C to magsafe adapter, similar to the magsafe to magsafe2 adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Clem H Fandango

Come pre-order day, can I pre-order using a credit card with an irish (ROI) address and pick up in belfast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Mr.S wrote: »

Also no magsafe. I've lost count how many times that has saved my life.

i too love mag safe, but i know from talking to apple people they've had huge issues with them breaking, (wire's exposing near the computer end, people having to replace them regularly...etc) so i wouldn't be surprised if they moved away from them completely.

Come pre-order day, can I pre-order using a credit card with an irish (ROI) address and pick up in belfast?

Pre-orders for apple products are generally pay in store. If they're not collected then they go to someone else waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Clem H Fandango

Pre-orders for apple products are generally pay in store. If they're not collected then they go to someone else waiting.

So no deposit or anything? Just give your name come launch day?
    I couldn't bare the shame of camping outside :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I had my mind set on the standard Apple Watch after the original announcement, but seeing rumours of the price being $500 had me giving it second thoughts. Then when I seen the actual pricing and there's no way I'd pay that.

For me I love gadgets and stuff like this, when I saw the Moto 360 I was hoping to get the Apple version to work with my iPhone. I do like the Apple watch, and the black sports model is probably the one I'd go for. It's hard to justify €350 or whatever the Irish conversion will be, for a watch which is more of an accessory then a stand alone device though.

I'm going to wait to see what the Irish prices will be and then decide if I'll be picking one up, I've wanted one since the unveil though so I'll probably pick one up eventually. I wear a watch weekly but not every day so it's something I'd be interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

~20,000,000 units sold in 2014, expected to hit 90,000,000 by 2018. That means the market is currently worth over $2 billion, and could hit over $10 billion within 3 years.

Only your graph is a 2013 estimate, the actual sales for 2014 were just 6.8m not per your estimate above of 20m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

This is undoubtedly the approach Apple has taken but I find it very conservative and un-Apple-like. I mean, didn't the smartphone replace the watch for a lot of people, especially young people? For these folks the Apple Watch will be an extra wearable that they’ll have to justify. If they are a health or fitness enthusiast that won’t be too hard and that’s where I see it’s real usefulness being. But for those who haven’t been wearing watches for the last several years and obviously don’t care about the fashion angle - what’s the point? Apple seem to have forgotten this group, which strikes me as silly as they are the youngest group and the one they really need to win over for it to be a success.

You really won't know until you see it. Like the original iPhone. Besides the fitness benefits and health benefits what it does is allows you to not have to check your phone all the time. For some people that will be worth $300. Probably business people for now unless some killer app makes it a teenage must have ( who knows maybe that silly drawing app will do it).

For business people getting a text say during a meeting, a slight glance at a watch will be more acceptable than taking the phone out of the pocket.

Over time if they get the sensors right and research kit takes off it might end up being essential. I won't be buying until gen 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes, because Bray is the metropolis of the world :pac:

Seriously - the majority of sales would be in the US/Asia. In all things techy, Ireland is always seriously behind the trend. From internet provision to consumer electronics. I wouldn't be judging the success of an entire world market based on one persons experience in a town with a population of ~30,000.

But because you've never seen one, let's assume the market is a flop.

THe graph means nothing and I'd say the expectation is that Apple''s entry is going to expand the market as it probably will.
    I still don't think that Android smartwatches are that successful at the moment but that does not mean that they won't be.

Also, your comments about Ireland are bizzare to say the least.

I don' find Ireland behind the trend at all. Mobile phones took off here hugely and smart phones are ubiquitous. All other technologies available and as popuar here as everywhere else.
    Also, broadband is nowhere near as bad here or better abroad as what people try to make out.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Only your graph is a 2013 estimate, the actual sales for 2014 were just 6.8m not per your estimate above of 20m.

Woops, my bad :o. Any links to the actual figures then?

Even still, it's not a negligible market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

The new Mac book is gorgeous and I too believe that the air is doomed. The air was an experiment , Apple prefer fewer SKUs.

Again too early in its cycle. It will really take off with lower prices. This is a Mac book designed to compete with Apple's own higher end iPads. If it gets to within $100 or parity of the top level ipad then customers will get the Mac book. As for ports, iPad users don't care about them. Why should Mac book users.

The MBP will always have multiple ports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Am I imagining it or have the old Mac Book Pros and Mac Book Airs increased significantly in price? It may be down to the decreasing value of the Euro, but still quite frustrating...

I am not sold on Smartwatches in general at the moment.

Battery life needs to be in the few days range, not less than 24 hours.

If these watches are serious about fitness they need gps, currently they just estimate your distance based on HR, estimated stride length, and the accelerometer. This is accurate enough for step tracking a lá fitbit et al, but not near accurate enough for someone who runs and wants to measure performance, improvement etc.

Optical HR measurement is also a guestimate, it is pretty accurate when sitting around or walking and doing nothing too vigorous, it is woeful when exercising hard and measuring at the wrist as a smartwatch must do is far from ideal, its much better measured optically on the upper arm for instance.

The price is high for something that has a very finite lifespan, no gadget manufacturer covers itself in glory with longterm support for aging purchases. I could stretch to €320 odd for one, perhaps, but the more expensive ones seem to be priced too high given the finite lifespan. As for the $10k plus ones, if I had the money, I'd buy a proper timepiece.

I am not sure that smartwatches actually solve a problem that we have, which means you have to question their purpose. The new Pebble is the one that appeals to me the most out of the current crop, it does the things it does well, has decent battery life, and doesn't try and pretend to be a fitness tracker that's not very good at tracking fitness, or have a high res screen that you shoudn't look at for too long, it also supports both Android and iOS giving you the freedom of choice.

Just my 2c

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

embraer170 wrote: »
    Am I imagining it or have the old Mac Book Pros and Mac Book Airs increased significantly in price? It may be down to the decreasing value of the Euro, but still quite frustrating...

Yeah, good catch. The 11-inch Air has gone up by a 100, the 13-inch Air and MBP by 150 and so on.

Lousy euro.

I am not sold on Smartwatches in general at the moment.

Battery life needs to be in the few days range, not less than 24 hours.

If these watches are serious about fitness they need gps, currently they just estimate your distance based on HR, estimated stride length, and the accelerometer. This is accurate enough for step tracking a lá fitbit et al, but not near accurate enough for someone who runs and wants to measure performance, improvement etc.

Optical HR measurement is also a guestimate, it is pretty accurate when sitting around or walking and doing nothing too vigorous, it is woeful when exercising hard and measuring at the wrist as a smartwatch must do is far from ideal, its much better measured optically on the upper arm for instance.

The price is high for something that has a very finite lifespan, no gadget manufacturer covers itself in glory with longterm support for aging purchases. I could stretch to €320 odd for one, perhaps, but the more expensive ones seem to be priced too high given the finite lifespan. As for the $10k plus ones, if I had the money, I'd buy a proper timepiece.

I am not sure that smartwatches actually solve a problem that we have, which means you have to question their purpose. The new Pebble is the one that appeals to me the most out of the current crop, it does the things it does well, has decent battery life, and doesn't try and pretend to be a fitness tracker that's not very good at tracking fitness, or have a high res screen that you shoudn't look at for too long, it also supports both Android and iOS giving you the freedom of choice.

Just my 2c

Surely the watch will pick up the GPS from the phone that is very accurate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Sarn

Down the road I see these as being used for interacting with people more. Location based apps for hooking up, your watch flashing when someone meeting your criteria is near. In a club or pub it's easier to wander around with this on your wrist, you pass someone and each person's watch blinks, easy to see. Directional colours to lead the way. A quick glance at the wrist to see who the singles around you are, rather than having your head buried in your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kim Kardashi Un

Yeah, good catch. The 11-inch Air has gone up by a 100, the 13-inch Air and MBP by 150 and so on.

Lousy euro.

Do you think that is something the will come back down again in the near future or is that a permanent jump? The price points are getting further and further away from me.
    Just when I think I can afford and even justify a purchase it gets pushed up. I jump between my 2009 MBP and my mac mini a lot but I am more productive with a notebook as I prefer to be sitting or lying on my bed than spending time at my desk.
    I had thought about forking out 400 for a 1TB samsung evo ssd but my 2.5 core 2 duo is still just that and want to flog them both in summer and run with one solid MBP. I even thought that I might jump back up to a 15 from a 13. Oh well.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Surely the watch will pick up the GPS from the phone that is very accurate?

If you have your phone strapped to your arm out for a run then the watch is adding nothing to the equation on the fitness front.

If you have your phone strapped to your arm out for a run then the watch is adding nothing to the equation on the fitness front.

Yes but as far as I know the watch does nothing without the phone.
    That's why I don't really get the product at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Sarn wrote: »
    Down the road I see these as being used for interacting with people more. Location based apps for hooking up, your watch flashing when someone meeting your criteria is near. In a club or pub it's easier to wander around with this on your wrist, you pass someone and each person's watch blinks, easy to see. Directional colours to lead the way. A quick glance at the wrist to see who the singles around you are, rather than having your head buried in your phone.

You need to get out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Terrible device.

No inguinity.

Over priced.

No new functionality or usp.

And its ugly. When i see the beautiful rounded corners on my i pad and the interface i know some knob goblin in a suit has looked at dollars and said, sure make it square. Round watches are too classical and beUtiful. What we neec is over priced square clunky junk. Steve Jobs would have brought out a round watch in black or white only with some insane ability.

Terrible product. Will flop badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

The watch is very nice and will do very well. The pricing isn't too bad, the normal models are about the same price as the higher end Samsung watches

The new MacBook is the best looking computer ever, however, the Core M isn't very powerful and is much slower than the i5 in the old MacBook Air.

I'm not convinced that a computer this thin would actually be able to withstand daily use due to being carried around in a backpack etc. . This is a computer that you buy to bring out to college etc. not to leave on a desk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

jahalpin wrote: »
    I'm not convinced that a computer this thin would actually be able to withstand daily use due to being carried around in a backpack etc. . This is a computer that you buy to bring out to college etc. not to leave on a desk

Do you mean physically withstand daily use or as a computer it wouldn't be able to handle daily tasks? Because I imagine it could do both ok. It won't win any speed tests, but if you're frequently travelling, this is a great machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It was lacking, I agree. But that’s to be expected. I agree that it’s the content that’s going to make or break this thing. We’ll have to wait and see what happens.

I’m no plans to get one myself. Not now or ever. Wrist watches aren’t my thing and I wish Apple had taken a more innovative approach to wearables, created a new market rather than simply trying to butt in on an existing one, a market which in my view has messed up priorities. Imagine if they had called the iPod the iWalkman and tried to sell it to walkman users. That’s what the Apple Watch feels like. I know wrist watches have been around a long time, but I still think there was another way to go with this.

You have articulated my thoughts exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Note: I'm still gonna buy one. I love the rose gold w/ midnight blue strap Edition watch, but not having 15k to spare I'm probably gonna go for the 700 regular milanese loop, it caught my eye in the preview last year. Dying to see how it feels on the wrist.

Advertisement