Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Spring forward - March 9th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

Aye if Apple say it, it's bullsh*t. But you can say we're wrong and that's okay? Let's just agree to disagree.

nope apple can call it what ever they want. You can choose to swallow it or not. However the iwatch can in no way be compared to a luxury watch.
    If you folks want to argue semantics that apple have actually gone and invented a new segment of the market, that's grand, the iwatch is absolutely a luxury smartwatch, that's a factually correct statement. Calling it a luxury watch is factually incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Aye if Apple say it, it's bullsh*t. But you can say we're wrong and that's okay? Let's just agree to disagree.

I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong :P.

I think we can all however agree with this

"It's a luxury fad item that amongst other things tells the time - Think of it like a top line iPod with some gold chucked on it - that you wear on your wrist"

the_monkey wrote: »
    I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong :P.

I think we can all however agree with this

"It's a luxury fad item that amongst other things tells the time - Think of it like a top line iPod with some gold chucked on it - that you wear on your wrist"

grand that's got more sense in it than 'apple are a luxury watch company now'.

I still think its a bad concept, poorly executed though, they've gone and made the same mistakes google did, but magnified them and made them more expensive.
    I'll be keeping well away until battery tech advances to make a wrist communication device (which is what they're going for) a viable reality (I REALLY wish they'ed hurry the feck on with it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

nope apple can call it what ever they want. You can choose to swallow it or not. However the iwatch can in no way be compared to a luxury watch.
    If you folks want to argue semantics that apple have actually gone and invented a new segment of the market, that's grand, the iwatch is absolutely a luxury smartwatch, that's a factually correct statement. Calling it a luxury watch is factually incorrect.

You need to calm down, and perhaps buy a sarcasm detector.

Also it's not an iWatch.

murpho999 wrote: »
    You need to calm down, and perhaps buy a sarcasm detector.

Also it's not an iWatch.

again - disagreement isn't an expression of frustration or anger.
    and I know its not the iwatch, however, in the same way all pens are biro's, vacuums hoovers etc... colloquially this product will be known as the iwatch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

mad muffin wrote: »
    You're not the target market, and that's OK. Juts like I'm sure you aren't the target market for, say a Panerai 1950, for $20,000 you get a leather strap, a stainless steel case, and a manual wind movement that only has a 56 power reserve. Oh and that's used price, as it's no longer manufactured.

Apple are aiming for the luxury watch market. You are not a luxury watch market kind of guy.

How am i not the Target market? I have owned 2 BMWs, I have many watches I own every Console that has come out in the last 2 decades. I have various smartphones and electronic devices. Between tablets laptops and flat screen TVs. I am in the age bracket and have money to spend.

Explain how i am not the target market? Is the target market easily duped to buy crap ? I would not spend 500 Euro on this watch, Stop comparing the +10,000 one as the expensive one, the 500 Euro one which they priced that way to grab money off folks is the one they are hoping people will buy.

I suppose you could construe the target market as people who are happy to part with cash for complete dross. I have expendable cash but I can tell when something is sub par.

OK, so the models are the same aren't they apart from screen size?

The extra money is for the metals used in straps and casings?

If something is really made of gold then of course it's going to be expensive.

I don't know what people are complaining about then. Have the never seen the prices of real luxury watches?

Are the straps easily changeable? Won't there be thousands of 3rd party straps available just like with phone and iPad cases?

Id imagine people are complaining because on one hand they are saying 18K gold but on the other hand they are saying its made with new 'Apple Gold' which is in the manufacturing process they are adding materials to make the gold harder.

Does that still make it 18K gold or is it just apple speak to use less gold and charge the same price.

(ala marketing)

Some people will swallow swords with a logo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

So just don't buy one then.

I don't understand what people are getting annoyed about.

Vested interests... Horologists and jewelry retailers feel threatened, expensive watch sales are a cash cow for them

listermint wrote: »
    Id imagine people are complaining because on one hand they are saying 18K gold but on the other hand they are saying its made with new 'Apple Gold' which is in the manufacturing process they are adding materials to make the gold harder.

Does that still make it 18K gold or is it just apple speak to use less gold and charge the same price.

(ala marketing)

They do no different than any other company. It's marketing, self promotion, spin etc.

Do you think real luxury watch manufacturers don't put aspirational stuff in their marketing stuff.

If people fall for it then they can clearly afford it

The expensive models are niche products only available in certain shops, clearly the cheaper models are going to sell more.

it's a luxury watch, it gets that title because it uses luxury materials and as such has a luxury price.

end of.

But thats simply not true. They use existing manufacturing processes and tell people they are something different. There is nothing luxury about what they are doing its marketing spin. If of course as you say they come out with some international accredited gold stamps and quantity of the gold with the watches then fair enough.
    But from seeing their videos its complete spin, putting 'applisms' on things that are already part of everyday manufacturing.

Granted they are superb and making videos about nothing. Its superb marketing with a marketing budget to match.

But ultimately people need to wise up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

haha says the guy with 2 BMW's.

So what happens when the 18 karat gold watch becomes obsolete in 2 years or when the battery dies?

Surely you can upgrade the internal components?

They do no different than any other company. It's marketing, self promotion, spin etc.

Do you think real luxury watch manufacturers don't put aspirational stuff in their marketing stuff.

If people fall for it then they can clearly afford it

The expensive models are niche products only available in certain shops, clearly the cheaper models are going to sell more.

And folks are entitled to point that out to people.

Why do you get so angry when people point out blatant and obvious flaws in this so called luxury.

What annoys you so much about that, when some folks try to inform people so they can make a better purchasing decision. Or should they just buy blind?

That is what reviews do they help people make informed decisions.

And pointing out that most of the stuff presented yesterday is nothing new and nothing great is fine. Thats the point of forums.

If you want one, sure buy one. Il keep my money in my pocket for something worth while.

haha says the guy with 2 BMW's.

Never driven an M3 so. .. :rolleyes:

i dont spring for 520Ds thank you.

So what happens when the 18 karat gold watch becomes obsolete in 2 years or when the battery dies?

Going by the way they operate with their laptops, I'd not hold your breath on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

Scandalous price cut on the apple TV here also. $69 =€79 in what language exactly? I would have bought one for €60

Why do you get so angry when people point out blatant and obvious flaws in this so called luxury.

What annoys you so much about that, when some folks try to inform people so they can make a better purchasing decision. Or should they just buy blind?

And pointing out that most of the stuff presented yesterday is nothing new and nothing great is fine. Thats the point of forums.

If you want one, sure buy one. Il keep my money in my pocket for something worth while.

I'm not angry at all and I have no intention of buying an Apple Watch as I'm not convinced by the product at al.

That said the flaws etc that you point out are merely your opinion and may not be necessarily right.

pedatron wrote: »
    Scandalous price cut on the apple TV here also. $69 =€79 in what language exactly? I would have bought one for €60

Don't forget the $69 excludes local and state taxes.

People always omit this when comparing the prices.

I think apple definitely over egg the cake when it comes to their marketing videos but marketing spin and creating good products are not mutually exclusive. Apple do both well.

For every new apple product launch you always get the same two people. One who'll queue up for days to buy it and one who slams it and dooms it to fail.

I'm not angry at all and I have no intention of buying an Apple Watch as I'm not convinced by the product at al.

That said the flaws etc that you point out or merely your opinion and may not be necessarily right.

They are not my opinion they are based on what was releases.

Apple Gold, Apple Aluminium.

They are adding something to the gold to make it tougher. Does that retain it as 18K ? will that have a stamp on it ?

Apple Aluminium, the hardening process is the same as that is used in all other manufacturer. They just choose not to market it because its not seen as something to market.

But sure you think that by slapping the apple logo on an existing process makes it new and innovative well then. more fool you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

what does the watch do? can you make calls on it? Well pissed off at thunderbolt being dropped so soon on the macbooks

They are not my opinion they are based on what was releases.

Apple Gold, Apple Aluminium.

They are adding something to the gold to make it tougher. Does that retain it as 18K ? will that have a stamp on it ?

Apple Aluminium, the hardening process is the same as that is used in all other manufacturer. They just choose not to market it because its not seen as something to market.

But sure you think that by slapping the apple logo on an existing process makes it new and innovative well then. more fool you.

Don't get what your problem is.

I haven't said anything about it being new and innovative so stop trying to second guess what I am thinking.

Unlike you I am not going to get annoyed at Apple exaggerating what they do as they have been doing it for years and I can just ignore it and judge the product for what it does.

That said, even if I had €17k lying around spare I can think of a lot more to do than to spend it on any luxury watch let alone an Apple one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

And apple are not a luxury watch company. You pay for a luxury watch because its something that can become an heirloom, given reasonable care those actual luxury watches will last generations. This is a crappy computer with a worse battery masquerading as a 'luxury watch'.
    The battery in of itself will be lucky to last a decade, after which time you're going to have a dead useless chuck of electronics. If you actually bought a real luxury watch you'd still have a luxury watch.

The not so rich can worry about that.

But this is an Apple forum, for people interested in Apple stuff so it begs the question why you guys come in ( and its very easy to tell people interested in Apple but uninterested in the watch from the Apple bashers).

I've been hearing the "Apple has done nothing new" since the iPhone, when Nokia heads were convinced that there was nothing new in the iPhone. Symbian is no longer with us.

The internals of this watch, and the way it works will no doubt be better than any android equivalent. What apple have got is that the look and feel of what is jewellery is also important.

pedatron wrote: »

That includes VAT. The dollar is pretty high, remember.

How am i not the Target market? I have owned 2 BMWs, I have many watches I own every Console that has come out in the last 2 decades. I have various smartphones and electronic devices. Between tablets laptops and flat screen TVs. I am in the age bracket and have money to spend.

Explain how i am not the target market? Is the target market easily duped to buy crap ? I would not spend 500 Euro on this watch, Stop comparing the +10,000 one as the expensive one, the 500 Euro one which they priced that way to grab money off folks is the one they are hoping people will buy.

I suppose you could construe the target market as people who are happy to part with cash for complete dross. I have expendable cash but I can tell when something is sub par.

The target market isn't Android heads. Or Apple haters.

As for the top level price, thats for the kind of people who drop $20K on a meal, or a party. The real super rich. Its like buying a very expensive car and losing half the price as you drive off. Apple probably will not sell that many, but a lot of celebs will have them and create a brand halo for the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

When the battery dies, you replace the battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think apple definitely over egg the cake when it comes to their marketing videos but marketing spin and creating good products are not mutually exclusive. Apple do both well.

For every new apple product launch you always get the same two people. One who'll queue up for days to buy it and one who slams it and dooms it to fail.

I think the watch is different. I think there are plenty of Apple customers who are unconvinced by the product and wont be going near it.

I`m still having a chuckle at those cringey videos where they are forging the aluminium and steel. I was expecting Frodo to arrive at the end with a ring!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

But thats simply not true. They use existing manufacturing processes and tell people they are something different. There is nothing luxury about what they are doing its marketing spin. If of course as you say they come out with some international accredited gold stamps and quantity of the gold with the watches then fair enough.
    But from seeing their videos its complete spin, putting 'applisms' on things that are already part of everyday manufacturing.

Granted they are superb and making videos about nothing. Its superb marketing with a marketing budget to match.

But ultimately people need to wise up.

yes they put apple-isms on it, of course they do, they are who they are after all.
    Even if the manufacturing is the exact same as before or other companies use it doesn't change the fact that:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/luxury
    A state of great comfort or elegance, especially when involving great expense:
    he lived a life of luxury

The apple watch edition looks comfortable, is elegant, it's certainly a great expense to many. Ultimately it doesn't bother me either way, Apple have gone about this the way they want to. You can read into what you will. The only thing I know is that it's great that there's so much choice for everyone and I can't wait to add an apple watch to my two Omega's and IWC in my watch collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

Why are the prices gone up so much on Macbook Pro's in Ireland? You can get the base model for €150 cheaper in the UK.

Advertisement