Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applaws dry cat food

• 26-02-2015 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭

Has anyone bought applaws dry cat food recently? I see from zooplus they seem to have updated the packaging. Checked the ingredients list with an old bag I have here and it's identical except for the protein content seems to have dropped from 47% to 37% in the chicken and salmon variety. Seems like a big drop when the ingredients list is identical so I'm not sure if it's a typo on zooplus's behalf. Can't get my hands on a bag to check, anyone tried the new bags here?

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/applaws/136610

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

For anyone interested I got this reply from Applaws:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the formulation of Applaws Dry Cat Food. We’re continuously looking for ways to improve the quality and freshness of our food and as such, we have recently increased the amount of dried and fresh chicken in our food. As part of this focus we have also improved the hypoallergenic qualities of our food by reducing and or removing some of the ingredients that have been shown to cause digestive problems in some cats for example the high protein poultry oil and cellulose fibre. Although this has resulted in a lower protein level we believe that the increase of both dried and fresh chicken will be easier for cats to metabolise. The new formulation has been on test for over a year and with positive feedback from cat owners who have noticed improved palatability, health and vitality.

What has changed?

• Increase in the amount of dried chicken meal from 59% to 65%

• Increase in the amount of chicken mince from 9% to 17%

• Removal of the high protein poultry oil which can cause digestive problems in some cats.

• Reduction of the Cellulose fibre from 0.4% to 0.03%

• Adding an expensive probiotic to the formulation to improve a cat’s digestion

• Adding Omega 3

• Adding Omega 6

How has this effected the Analytical Constituents?

4. The protein level has changed because we have removed the high protein poultry oil and ratio of dried and fresh chicken

5. The crude fibre has increased because we have reduced the cellulose fibre

6. We have added natural Omega 3 and Omega 6

Is the formulation still minimum 80% Chicken and 100% grain free?

Absolutely yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Thanks for that, I had noticed the same and ordered taste of the wild instead until I could find out more. I'll know for next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Is this the quality dry cat food of choice?
    I'm thinking of buying better quality food for our two cats. They currently get Red Mills dry food and a pouch of cheap wet food between the two of them a day (for hydration more than anything else). .

The applaws, if bought in bulk, is at my upper budget level. Are there cheaper, good quality dry foods out there or is the above really where it's at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I find the applaws great, they eat much less of it than cheaper brands and all of mine are in better condition on it.
    I also feed Bozita wet food, buy in bulk it works out much cheaper. Zooplus is good for bulk buying, but I often find the .de site cheaper than the irish or UK ones.

Advertisement