Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undetected Storage / SATA / Post-Format

Options
  • 26-02-2015 7:56pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So, I'm at a familiar problem (except last time I had stumbled upon a solution pretty quickly - this time, not so much).

I've unfortunately had to re-install windows, which has caused my:
    WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 (aka WD Black Terrabyte Internal Drive) to become unregistered as a storage device.

Last time, this was cured by installing the SATA 6G Drivers on a CD and fumbling around. This time, that isn't helping. It was working flawlessly before the WInstall so it hasn't melted. When looking at System Restore, the Drive and it's old name is visible - but it cannot be seen via My Computer. After looking around, I noticed it's set as MBR (Boot Drive) which may or may not be a problem. It's also not been assigned a Letter (D/E/F/G etc) which I hear may also be an issue.

I've tried unintalling to see if windows would re-register/install it but it doesn't uninstall at all despite forcing reboots. I'm also unable to set it a new path or drive letter (or not been given an option to do so). Next step is to snoop around in BIOS, something I am not very good at. I've also jotted down CMD codes for MBR boot-fixes hoping I may be able to set it to another drive or something.

Any/all attempts to seek drivers or firmware (anything in the hopes of clicking 'install' and making everything magically work) has failed miserably. I basically need suggestions on how to get my Drive to get back to being a Storage Device and not some hidden lump of uselessness internally wedged into my PC doing nothing.

Any feedback welcome.

Advertisement