Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First day of work

Options
  • 26-02-2015 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I start my first ever day at work tomorrow. I'm seventeen and have never had a serious job before, I'll be doing my training day for Dunnes Stores tomorrow and I'm completely over-thinking everything. What if my colleagues don't like me? Should I tuck my shirt in or leave it out? I have extreme anxiety and I worry about the most stupid things ever and was just wondering if you could give me some advice in hope that it will help me because I really don't want to ruin my chances at a potentially longtime opportunity just because I over think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Chill the beans and stop thinking so hard. At least some of the other people who are starting tomorrow will be as nervous as you are.

Repeat 100 times: "The people there are going to like me. Everything will be fine."

Set our the clothes you're going to wear. Set your alarm. And the other one, in case the first one doesn't go off.

Then forget about it, find yourself some mindless TV to watch (or something) for the rest of the evening, to take your mind off things.

Oh - Tuck your shirt in, until you see what everyone else does. It's easier to quietly untuck later on, than to tuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Better off be overdressed than under.

Shirt definitely in.

Be polite & friendly with everyone.

Don't worry, everyone had a day 1 with who you are working with & won't be expecting you to be fully proficient by close of day tomorrow.

Good luck with job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johnathant17

Thank you, really appreciate the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Relax... Everyone.... Everywhere had a first day at work and most of the people will be going through the same thoughts tonight. Just relax and enjoy your first day..

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

Don't eat any of the sweets !

• Advertisement

ubs69 wrote: »
    Don't eat any of the sweets !

What sweet? 😂

I'm not sure if I should approach others and speak to them first or just wait for them to talk to me. I'm extremly antisocial until I'm comfortable around people and I tend to come off as a creep. I'm planning on going off for lunch by myself and just sit on the phone to one of my friends, is this a bad idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

I'm not sure if I should approach others and speak to them first or just wait for them to talk to me. I'm extremly antisocial until I'm comfortable around people and I tend to come off as a creep. I'm planning on going off for lunch by myself and just sit on the phone to one of my friends, is this a bad idea?

Yes.... Don't do this.... Unless you're going off site for lunch. Don't intentionally avoid your new workmates on the first day.... There will be plenty of time for that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Just smile pleasantly at people, and stay busy. Don't look as if you're ignoring them, but do stay alert to the moment you are in.
    A first day, there is a huge amount to take in but fear not, all beginners face that challenge; and Dunnes have trained many thousands!

Thanks everyone, it all went perfect and I got all the hours I wanted and I like the people I'm working with so it is all perfect!

• Advertisement
Advertisement