Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oregon

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Re reward cards: cash back wins every time.

I was a big Skymiles Amex fan. No more. If you do the math, the return doesn't even come close to what a cash back card offers. I use a Costco Amex now. From their T&Cs: "Earn 3% cash back at US gas stations and on gasoline at Costco, up to $4,000 per year in purchases (then 1%), 2% cash back at US restaurants, 2% cash back on eligible travel purchases, including at Costco, and 1% cash back on other purchases, including at Costco".

The one thing I will still use the Skymiles card for: paying for airline tickets through Delta. Double miles for that transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Re reward cards: cash back wins every time.

I was a big Skymiles Amex fan. No more. If you do the math, the return doesn't even come close to what a cash back card offers. I use a Costco Amex now. From their T&Cs: "Earn 3% cash back at US gas stations and on gasoline at Costco, up to $4,000 per year in purchases (then 1%), 2% cash back at US restaurants, 2% cash back on eligible travel purchases, including at Costco, and 1% cash back on other purchases, including at Costco".

The one thing I will still use the Skymiles card for: paying for airline tickets through Delta. Double miles for that transaction.

I believe Costcos partnership with AMEX ends this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Wompa1 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Yeah, you can't pay for much with cash any more. I can't pay for my rent with cash, I couldn't pay for my rental car with cash when I moved here. I can't go pay most of my bills with cash.

Other than a rental car I find that hard to believe. But I didn't mean cash as in dollar bills anyway. I just meant cash as in your own money that you already have rather than the banks money that they are loaning you.

Whether your actual payment method is dollar bills, a debit card, a cheque, a bank draft or electronic transfer is irrelevant. My point was your credit score shouldn't matter if you're using your own money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I got a Barclaycard for traveling, sick and tired of the conversion and/or cross border fees associated with other cards, rewards as good as well. Have an Amazon one since I am a huge Amazon shopper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Well there goes my strategy. Time to research other cash back cards now.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Yeah its ending this year - they are moving to either visa or mastercard but as far as i know will operate the exact same way - so you can prob just change to the new card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

spideog7 wrote: »
    Other than a rental car I find that hard to believe. But I didn't mean cash as in dollar bills anyway. I just meant cash as in your own money that you already have rather than the banks money that they are loaning you.

Whether your actual payment method is dollar bills, a debit card, a cheque, a bank draft or electronic transfer is irrelevant. My point was your credit score shouldn't matter if you're using your own money.

While that is technically true, credit score is used by landlords to see if you pay bills on time, insurance companies to see your trustworthiness and banks to check on mortgages. Poor credit or no credit history works against you.

The reality is, if you keep your utilization below 1/3 of entire credit allowance and also have the cash to pay your utilization full, there is not much wrong in playing the system to get benefits like airmiles or cash back

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Is The Foothill Broiler still there on West Burnside near 23rd in Portland? The small Shopping mall. Tastiest burgers in the world - worth moving to Oregon for if it is still extant.

Advertisement