Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Oral Exam

Options
  • 26-02-2015 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi there I just finished my mocks about two weeks ago and my Irish Oral exam is coming up on Monday. I have a few questions to ask if someone doesn't mind answering...
    1)Do I or my teacher get to know what result I got in the oral?

2)Do all the examiners have fixed questions that they can ask in the conversation?Do we get to know what they are?

3)Anyone got any essential tips for it?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

1) I'm 99% sure you/your teacher don't get to find out how you did in the oral, you just get the one grade for the oral/listening/written exam together in September.
    2) There isn't really a list of fixed questions as such, but with a bit of skill you are able to steer the conversation towards questions you have prepared well. For example, say that you have prepared the topic of music really well - if the examiner asks about your school routine part of your answer could be that you listen to music while travelling to and from school, which would probably spur them to ask you about music, if you get my gist. And while the examiner doesn't have a set list of questions to ask, they will only ask about topics that are on the curriculum, for example: your house and family, your area, your school, your hobbies, what you did during the summer, etc. If you have a textbook focusing on the oral it should cover these topics so if you've been learning vocab and phrases for them throughout the year you should be fine.
    3) I can't really think of anything other than if you're learning off chunks of text to answer to specific questions, during the exam try your best to sound like you're just making it up on the spot rather than rattling it off - examiners don't like when people learn off big answers beforehand (even though practically everyone does it). Also if there are any other Irish-speakers in your house try to get them to practise with you as much as possible this weekend. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

emersyn wrote:
    1) I'm 99% sure you/your teacher don't get to find out how you did in the oral, you just get the one grade for the oral/listening/written exam together in September. 2) There isn't really a list of fixed questions as such, but with a bit of skill you are able to steer the conversation towards questions you have prepared well. For example, say that you have prepared the topic of music really well - if the examiner asks about your school routine part of your answer could be that you listen to music while travelling to and from school, which would probably spur them to ask you about music, if you get my gist. And while the examiner doesn't have a set list of questions to ask, they will only ask about topics that are on the curriculum, for example: your house and family, your area, your school, your hobbies, what you did during the summer, etc. If you have a textbook focusing on the oral it should cover these topics so if you've been learning vocab and phrases for them throughout the year you should be fine. 3) I can't really think of anything other than if you're learning off chunks of text to answer to specific questions, during the exam try your best to sound like you're just making it up on the spot rather than rattling it off - examiners don't like when people learn off big answers beforehand (even though practically everyone does it). Also if there are any other Irish-speakers in your house try to get them to practise with you as much as possible this weekend. Good luck!

Oh its too bad that I dont find out how well I did. My teacher gave me and my class a list of questions that the examiner will be asking questions about which she actually got from the examiner herself. I dont learn off texts or anything but I know people who do and Im actually better at making it up on the spot. I usually get full marks for the sraith pictiur and the ad but I lose some marks in the conversation at times but seeing as I know what's coming up I'm feeling confident ðŸ˜

Advertisement