Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

black screen, Win7

• 26-02-2015 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭

I've been getting black screen for a couple of days. I just ignored it at first by restarting the laptop which would work but alas no longer.

So what I have done to date...

1) Load last good config, no joy.
    2) Checkdsk, no errors discovered.
    3) Checked for windows update in safe mode.
    4) Create a new admin profile, that funnily enough loaded as a blank blue screen.
    5) msconfig and disable everything in the startup, no joy.
    6) updated graphics driver

I'm at a loss, any ideas. There are no previous points in system restore either strangely enough.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

the explorer process sounds like its not loading, press Ctrl alt del when windows boots to black screen

do you see any options?

if so, choose "Task Manager" and stop & start the "Explorer" process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭Guffy

kingtiger wrote: »
    the explorer process sounds like its not loading, press Ctrl alt del when windows boots to black screen

do you see any options?

if so, choose "Task Manager" and stop & start the "Explorer" process

Is this just a temporary fix though?

gufc21 wrote: »
    Is this just a temporary fix though?

I would scan for malware

Temp fix doesn't work anymore.. did malwere scan with malwerebytes. Found a few bits, quarantined them still no fix. Head wreck altogether. Really want to avoid clean install.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 savvyxone

have you avast installed?? I had avast installed on different versions of windows 7-8 etc and there was a troublesome update that caused this issue.

If you have uninstall it in safe mode, if not... :(

• Advertisement

Nope, using Panda. New windows update last night, installed it over night and turned it on this morning. IT worked :) turned it on this evening.... alas, it was gone again :( I'm at a loss with it tbh. Gona bring it into the IT crowd tomorrow see if they will have a look at it for me. Have to find a win7 disk to do a repair on it and if that doesn't work, unfortunately its going to have to be a clean install :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Boot to the black screen. ctrl-alt-del select task manager, check through the list to see if there is a "run once" listed. If so highlight it then end task

Gave up. Brought it to it in college. Spend a good two hours going through it. Had to do a clean install. It had gotten worse, ran ccleaner and task manager wouldn't work after it. Said it was prob malware. Would love to know where it came from though

gufc21 wrote: »
    Gave up. Brought it to it in college. Spend a good two hours going through it. Had to do a clean install. It had gotten worse, ran ccleaner and task manager wouldn't work after it. Said it was prob malware. Would love to know where it came from though

next time use something like rkill first and then run your malware scanner (malwarebytes \ spybot)

this generally works with most malware infections

Advertisement