Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden

Options
  • 26-02-2015 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi

All I just moved into a new hous and our garden Is quite big.

Just would like to know what other people dose with the grass you cut?

I'm going to get ready for the summer time to get a garden lawn mower

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Cut it regularly and you don't have to do anything with it, thats my (lazy) approach!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I took it that your enquiry was about disposal of the cut grass? (out of the lawnmower collector box)

I pile it in a separate heap near my compost bins. Shake a couple of handfuls over the compost from time to time.
    Some people stack the clippings round the base of shrubs.

If you have a "brown bin" or Greenwaste collection service, they will take grass clippings too.

Be aware, solid piles of grass cuttings don't make compost on their own, or not for years anyway. Better mixed in with other drier and bitty-er stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭shane b

Check with you local civic amenity/recycling centre as they might take the grass cuttings. My local one takes grass/trees/leaves etc although there is a € 3 entrance fee. Im happy enough to pay €3 every few weeks as I was sick of piles of rotting grass everyhere. My car has a towbar and I have a small trailer so i pile the grass for a few weeks and then dispose of it. During the summer I have seen lots of people turn up with the grass in black bags in the boot of their cars too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Supercell wrote: »
    Cut it regularly and you don't have to do anything with it, thats my (lazy) approach!

Good advice. As long as the grass shavings aren't to thick/long or wet even it's a great way to fertilize a lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 alisbec

A big lawn means more problems. But if you take care of it, it will look beautiful without any problem. Just make sure you get an electric-powered lawn more rather than gas or battery-powered ones because it works well for big lawns and performs really well. Another thing to consider is having an effective weed killer to stop the weeds and other unwanted plants to grow. I made a weed-killer at home but for some reason, it was not very effective. I ordered one and I love it. It not only kills the weed but also stops it from growing again after 3-4 sessions of spraying it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement