Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks were a disaster

Options
  • 27-02-2015 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So i got my results back and u got all D's with the exception of an odd b or a c. I got so nervous in every exam when i relaised i didnt know half the content in the paper. Most of my teachers said i only passed due to doing well in the short questions, meaning im in a total mess wih long answers in every subject.

Anyway, my point is i have no idea how to study. i dont know where to start and nothing seems to stay in my head. i went from getting all honours in my christmas exams and summer exams to D's in the mocks. can yous please give me some tips im in desperate need:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

SarahL123 wrote: »
    So i got my results back and u got all D's with the exception of an odd b or a c. I got so nervous in every exam when i relaised i didnt know half the content in the paper. Most of my teachers said i only passed due to doing well in the short questions, meaning im in a total mess wih long answers in every subject.

Anyway, my point is i have no idea how to study. i dont know where to start and nothing seems to stay in my head. i went from getting all honours in my christmas exams and summer exams to D's in the mocks. can yous please give me some tips im in desperate need:(

First of all, please don't panic as that's going to be no help to you at all.

Secondly, remember that the mocks are just a practice for the actual Junior Cert. Most courses haven't been completed yet so obviously you are not going to do as well in the mocks as you are capable of (and obviously you are capable if you were getting all honours before this).

You say that you don't know where to start studying: the first thing to do is look over your papers and see what particular areas/topics let you down. You don't say whether you have been practising exam questions from past papers- if you haven't, you need to start doing questions to time. Practice and familiarity with the papers do wonders for your confidence in exams!

Also, if you haven't written out your own notes for each subject, you should do that as soon as possible- it's much easier to learn your own notes than chunks of text from a textbook!

Just remember- the main purpose of the mocks is to give you an idea of the timing and layout of papers. Even if you didn't do as well as you hoped, you still have three months to revise/finish courses before the actual exams.

Best of luck with the last three months of third year and the Junior Cert! If you have any other questions feel free to pm me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SarahL123

First of all, please don't panic as that's going to be no help to you at all.

Secondly, remember that the mocks are just a practice for the actual Junior Cert. Most courses haven't been completed yet so obviously you are not going to do as well in the mocks as you are capable of (and obviously you are capable if you were getting all honours before this).

You say that you don't know where to start studying: the first thing to do is look over your papers and see what particular areas/topics let you down. You don't say whether you have been practising exam questions from past papers- if you haven't, you need to start doing questions to time. Practice and familiarity with the papers do wonders for your confidence in exams!

Also, if you haven't written out your own notes for each subject, you should do that as soon as possible- it's much easier to learn your own notes than chunks of text from a textbook!

Just remember- the main purpose of the mocks is to give you an idea of the timing and layout of papers. Even if you didn't do as well as you hoped, you still have three months to revise/finish courses before the actual exams.

Best of luck with the last three months of third year and the Junior Cert! If you have any other questions feel free to pm me :D

thank you so much! ill start doing more exam questions for practice and writing out notes. Again, thank you so much:)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

SarahL123 wrote: »
    thank you so much! ill start doing more exam questions for practice and writing out notes. Again, thank you so much:)

No problem :) best of luck in June! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 EmmausCentre

Suggest that you look at studyclix.ie. I got my son to try it, it gives you an idea of what is expected in each answer for each question and where you can pick up drop marks. You can go on it for free to see a few questions under each topic for each subject, worth a look.

Advertisement