Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress Problem (I think)

Options
  • 27-02-2015 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

My wordpress website is working fine except I'm trying to move some menus around. When I hit the save button it brings up an error page - see attached.

I rang my hosting company and they said it was a Wordpress issue. Can anyone please help? Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

The actual error message will be in your web server error logs. That will be more helpful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Try doing it again and take a look at your server log files for the most recent error messages. You should find something a little more informative than "there was an error".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Here's what the log says:

[Fri Feb 27 08:58:43 2015] [error] [client 78.16.154.76] Premature end of script headers: php, referer: http://clontibretoneills.com/wp-admin/nav-menus.php

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

The generic error messages aren't very descriptive and cover a multitude of issues - most commonly it is something simple like the PHP script not having enough memory or the file permissions on the server.

Add the following code to a file e.g. info.php and upload it to the website, then open the URL in your browser e.g. http://www.domain.com/info.php
    [PHP]
    <?php

phpinfo();

?>
    [/PHP]

The information provided will help rule in/out a number of possibilities. Afterwards delete the file from the website.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Switch to one of the default themes and disable all of your plugins.

Try what you were doing again.

If that works re-enable the theme.

Try it again.

If that works, re-enable each of the plugins one at a time. Test again between enabling each plugin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

You need to find your PHP error logs and post the PHP error.

This *might* be caused by a corrupt file. Try copying a default Wordpress folder structure and contents over the existing files. If it is a corrupt file that will be a very quick fix.

You could also enable Wordpress debugging to get error messages dumped onto the screen, but that is not as reliable as logging errors to a file. Also it might not be feasible on a live site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Got my problem solved, for now anyway.

I deactivated all plugins and it then allowed me to carry out my task of removing a menu item. I then re-activated all plugins again. I haven't figured out which one was to blame but at least it has allowed me to carry out my task.

Thanks all for your kind help... here's to the weekend!

Advertisement