Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunkin Donuts Apologize to LFC

• 27-02-2015 2:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.sky.com/story/1434939/dunkin-donuts-sorry-for-liverpool-badge-gaffe

Interested on peoples opinions on this. To me there was no malice involved in what they did and they just did it as a publicity stunt. I think the fact they had to apologize is awful. Everything seems to have to be PC which is ridiculous. They did it in good jest and people found it disrespectful?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Not as bad as attention seekers on social media pretending to be outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Ridiculous reaction plain and simple ... sponsorship company hardly mean to do anything with malice ... people need to grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Aye to be honest, the more I think about it, the more I think it's ''People just want to moan about something''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Interested on peoples opinions on this. To me there was no malice involved in what they did and they just did it as a publicity stunt. I think the fact they had to apologize is awful. Everything seems to have to be PC which is ridiculous. They did it in good jest and people found it disrespectful?

Hang on, what?

Why is it awful that they had to apologize? I would say it's more awful that they decided to replaced the flames that represent the Hillsborough tragedy with...coffee cups.

I don't know if the idea was malicious - it was probably just moronic. That doesn't mean they shouldn't say sorry for being insensitive though. They mucked up and have had to take their medicine which is quite appropriate.

Hang on, what?

Why is it awful that they had to apologize? I would say it's more awful that they decided to replaced the flames that represent the Hillsborough tragedy with...coffee cups.

I don't know if the idea was malicious - it was probably just moronic. That doesn't mean they shouldn't say sorry for being insensitive though. They mucked up and have had to take their medicine which is quite appropriate.

It's all very PC, their was clearly no malice in it. Anybody who thinks there was is clearly an idiot. X amount of people got upset about which means they had to issue a public apology to cover their asses. It was basically a ''MAKE YOUR OWN CREST'' Idea. They made theirs using the LFC crest.

The biggest crime is how stupid it would have looked with the flames on them :pac:

• Advertisement

Malicious and insensitive would involve taking a racist incident and supporting the racist, even wearing teeshirts in his support after a finding was made. And never apologising.

This was a bad call. Dunkin Donuts were right to apologise. Story over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I doubt dunkin donuts even knew what the flames symbolised. I didnt until now. Storm in a tea cup... or in this case, a coffee cup.

It's a non story. They made a mistake and apologised. Everyone has moved on with no big deal being made about it. Well, almost everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's a non story. They made a mistake and apologised. Everyone has moved on with no big deal being made about it. Well, almost everyone.
    They had to make an official apology, this is what people are talking about.
    A big deal was obviously made about it if they had to apologise in the media.

It was a bit stupid, it was unintentional I'm sure and inoffensive to most but I think an apology was required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

They garnered much more publicity by having to apologize than their initial campaign would ever have reached.

Funny that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

In some ways it would have been worse to leave the flames in place on the Dunkin Donuts mock up crest ... would you really want the Hillsborough tragedy reduced to the frivolity of a bleedin doughnut ?

All in all .... a poor idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

There is a certain section of Liverpool supporters who were always going to make a big deal over something like this alot more than any other club IMO.

It really is no big deal at all and no apology should have been required. If this was a United or a Villa or a Leicester crest there would be no thread. Certain Liverpool fans (a small section) insist on taking everything related to Liverpool sooper dooper seriously.

CSF wrote: »
    There is a certain section of Liverpool supporters who were always going to make a big deal over something like this alot more than any other club IMO.

It really is no big deal at all and no apology should have been required. If this was a United or a Villa or a Leicester crest there would be no thread. Certain Liverpool fans (a small section) insist on taking everything related to Liverpool sooper dooper seriously.

Pretty ignorant post tbh,especially since it wasn't even a Liverpool fan who started the thread. Why he started a thread on it and his reasons behind it. I guess he'll have to tell you....
    It was already briefly mentioned in the Liverpool thread. No big deal.

The eternally flames represent Hillsborough victims so it was an oversight by DD to do what they did.

It was pointed out and they apologised. That's it. No big deal.

If something similar was done to the Utd clock representing the Munich victims it would certainly be pointed out, most likely in the Utd thread only and rightly so. Unless somebody wanted to give it its own thread.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

ahhh another thing to not care about

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Don't feel sorry for DD, it worked out pretty well for them, the advertisement would never have reach the audience it did without the apology. Thngs like this are intended if you ask me an no harm done apology and the internet and news talking about them.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Don't feel sorry for DD, it worked out pretty well for them, the advertisement would never have reach the audience it did without the apology. Thngs like this are intended if you ask me an no harm done apology and the internet and news talking about them.

It's a conspiracy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It's a conspiracy!

What are they smokin over there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I'd imagine if something similar was done with the Munich clock there'd be a bit of noise too. Which would be fair enough imo.

Listen, it doesn't offend me or most Liverpool supporters, but i can understand that some people, especially those closely related to the Hillsborough tragedy would be a bit put out by it.

I do understand that there are some Liverpool fans, especially in Ireland, who lay it on thick about Hillsborough and it comes across as insincere. This seems to, in turn, provoke reactions like the one above which turn the whole debate into our fans are better than yours bollox, which is fairly cheap imo. It's easy for people to forget how tragic Hillsborough was and how many peoples lives it affected then and still today. Of course some people are going to be sensitive about it and a lot of them are well within their rights.

The irony is some people are getting more offended by an apology from a multinational Doughnut company. How noble of them to defend the integrity of the great institution that is Dunkin' Donuts and ward off the scourge that is Political Correctness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'd imagine if something similar was done with the Munich clock there'd be a bit of noise too. Which would be fair enough imo.
    Not sure in what context that would ever be done here though. What were DD supposed to do, change the whole logo to DD and leave the flames as is? That'd be a bit weird IMO.

Soups123 wrote: »
    What are they smokin over there :pac:

Doughnuts presumably!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If something similar was done to the Utd clock representing the Munich victims it would certainly be pointed out, most likely in the Utd thread only and rightly so. Unless somebody wanted to give it its own thread.

Rubbish. If there was a competition that asked people to re-imagine the United crest I would fully expect changes to the clock as well, what on earth would be the point of redesigning the crest if you have to leave certain parts of it untouched? It doesn't even make logical sense, "heres the Munich clock but now its surrounded by doughnuts and fluffy hippos". How is that any more respectful than just changing the clock as well?

There was nothing wrong with what DD did, unfortunately they happened to touch upon a subject that has to be tiptoed around very carefully to avoid reactions from a select few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

This may be OT but the Opie & Anthony podcast discussed how it's ridiculous that companies apologize for everything thesedays, in most cases where it's literally unwarranted due to feigned outrage - they then go on to discuss instances where companies definitely should apologize which is here - one of the funniest things I've heard this year!

Dunkin Donuts apologizing here is hilarious, pandering to an easily offended minority

Pretty ignorant post tbh,especially since it wasn't even a Liverpool fan who started the thread. Why he started a thread on it and his reasons behind it. I guess he'll have to tell you....
    It was already briefly mentioned in the Liverpool thread. No big deal.

The eternally flames represent Hillsborough victims so it was an oversight by DD to do what they did.

It was pointed out and they apologised. That's it. No big deal.

The Twitter reaction has been insane. I wasn't having a go at anyone in this thread.

If the clock was part of the crest and some business probably unwittingly put something else in instead of it, I don't think there would be the same furore.

There is a section of Liverpool fans that live in a world that only they understand, where everyone is out to get them, and they need to be offended by everything. In my experience, this has been the case much more than at any other club.

Thankfully they don't usually last long on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The Twitter reaction has been insane. I wasn't having a go at anyone in this thread.

If the clock was part of the crest and some business probably unwittingly put something else in instead of it, I don't think there would be the same furore.

There is a section of Liverpool fans that live in a world that only they understand, where everyone is out to get them, and they need to be offended by everything. In my experience, this has been the case much more than at any other club.

They are probably not even Liverpool fans they are just people that like to be upset at things. I have seen no negative reaction myself to what they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Why would someone put the eternal flames on a mock copy of a badge? The new Liverpool badge doesn't have the eternal flames either (they're hidden around the back of the shirt):
    http://store.liverpoolfc.com/lfc-mens-home-s-s-shirt-14-15/

We should have an "Everybody draw the Liverpool badge" day, je suis dunkin' donuts.

niallo27 wrote: »
    They are probably not even Liverpool fans they are just people that like to be upset at things. I have seen no negative reaction myself to what they did.

Have a look on Twitter if you use it (there'd be various hashtags that should allow you to see it in one centralised area rather than having to scroll through a newsfeed). There is a disproportionate amount of fools who think this is offensive to Hillsborough.

It's not. Anyone who intentionally disrespects the death of 96 people are the lowest of the low. But there's no need to tiptoe around something that happened 26 years ago when dealing with things that are not related to the disaster.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Never actually noticed the flames before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

astrofool wrote: »
    Why would someone put the eternal flames on a mock copy of a badge? The new Liverpool badge doesn't have the eternal flames either (they're hidden around the back of the shirt):
    http://store.liverpoolfc.com/lfc-mens-home-s-s-shirt-14-15/

We should have an "Everybody draw the Liverpool badge" day, je suis dunkin' donuts.

That is the shirt badge the company logo is still the same, as they cant trademark that Liver Bird as it belongs to the City of Liverpool.

It was an over site by someone who did not know what the flames stood for.

Yes it may have looked bad but an honest mistake

Have a look on Twitter if you use it (there'd be various hashtags that should allow you to see it in one centralised area rather than having to scroll through a newsfeed). There is a disproportionate amount of fools who think this is offensive to Hillsborough.

It's not. Anyone who intentionally disrespects the death of 96 people are the lowest of the low. But there's no need to tiptoe around something that happened 26 years ago when dealing with things that are not related to the disaster.

Did anyone official with the club or supporters group or the hillsborough group actually make a complaint or are people worried about what some random people said on the Internet.

• Advertisement

Did anyone official with the club or supporters group or the hillsborough group actually make a complaint or are people worried about what some random people said on the Internet.
    Yup, its the latter that we're all posting about.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-31642029 The woman 'Charlotte' actually tweeted me that link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yes it may have looked bad but an honest mistake

It doesn't even look bad, except to those searching for offences.

Twitter is full of muppets. I wouldn't be taking it too serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

So maybe it's more a reflection on the clowns you choose to follow on Twitter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Never actually noticed the flames before.

I think you owe Liverpool and the forum as a whole an apology.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I always thought one of the flames was in memory of the Heysel victims. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

A harmless misjudgement by DD but still a rather naive and needless one

Milkers wrote: »
    So maybe it's more a reflection on the clowns you choose to follow on Twitter?

When something is trending on Twitter it can be very hard to avoid with the amount of retweets etc.

I didn't think I followed so many Madonna fans either...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A harmless misjudgement by DD but still a rather naive and needless one

Wouldn't even go that far tbh, when you look at what they were actually doing replacing the logo and flames with coffee cups and whatever made perfect sense.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Whats wrong with not liking a multinational corporation parodying a symbol of remembrance for the innocent victims of a disaster?
    Its pretty okay not to like it. Dunkin' Donuts don't need to be defended but hey, look who's doing the defending :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'd see the issue if they literally kept the Liverpool crest and just changed the flames but they didn't. They literally used the shape of the crest but absolutely nothing else resembles the crest. There really was nothing to be apologising about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Liverpool fans at their most sensitive. Boris Johnson was right about them

BMMachine wrote: »
    Whats wrong with not liking a multinational corporation parodying a symbol of remembrance for the innocent victims of a disaster?
    Its pretty okay not to like it. Dunkin' Donuts don't need to be defended but hey, look who's doing the defending :)
    There is not a hope in hell the crest was done to parody that symbol. Nonsense talk.

Note to the people who accused me of improper choices of Twitter follows, these people do exist outside my Twitter newsfeed, as illustrated ;)

People just using the thread to get a cheap shot at Liverpool fans now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-31642029 The woman 'Charlotte' actually tweeted me that link

So going by that link no complaint was made they said it was embarrassing mistake by dukin donuts

Just people making mountains out of mole hills both on Twitter for the post and on here for the apology

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

sabat wrote: »
    I always thought one of the flames was in memory of the Heysel victims. :confused:

It would be if heysel ever happened

Obviously. They are the worst in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

What makes it a cheap shot though? Is it not just a "shot"? It's a legitimate criticism.

Over sensitivity or political correctness is an issue. It seems everybody is looking to be upset or offended over something. This sort of nonsense should never have gotten this much coverage. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I really don't understand how anybody thinks that Dunkin' Donuts should not apologise for their stupidity. It was insensitive, almost definitely without realising it so its not a big deal but an apology had to be made imo.

Its turning into a lot more publicity for Liverpool fc and their relationship with Dunkin' Donuts than they could have ever imagined now.

I'd agree that there are pot shots being taken at Liverpool fans by some over this which is wrong.
    This all happened on Twitter and we all know what Twitter is like, you get something going on there and it becomes huge and everything is a bigger deal than it really is then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I haven't seen any Pool fans moaning about this on Boards. I've also noticed that the OP was after midnight. So taking all this into account and also that the only outrage seems to be from Twatter, you'll have to forgive me if I baulk at the indignation of the OP.

What bothers me more is the attempts at point scoring at times when people are meant to be sober tbh.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement