Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

old carbon frames

• 27-02-2015 9:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi, any advice or you thoughts would be greatly appreciated. If this topic has been covered before then I apologise in advance.
    My LBS has a few carbon frames for sale, Time, Ambrosio , Dedacciai and Pinarello. These frames have never been ridden and are just old stock, some of the frames are at least 5 years old.
    Is there any issue in buying an old frame, I would imagine that all of them would have been hanging up in the shop on display over the years and have not been stored in their original boxes.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

As long as they're new then I can't see any problem with them at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hi, any advice or you thoughts would be greatly appreciated. If this topic has been covered before then I apologise in advance.
    My LBS has a few carbon frames for sale, Time, Ambrosio , Dedacciai and Pinarello. These frames have never been ridden and are just old stock, some of the frames are at least 5 years old.
    Is there any issue in buying an old frame, I would imagine that all of them would have been hanging up in the shop on display over the years and have not been stored in their original boxes.
    Thanks

I'd happily buy an old 2nd hand frame, never mind one that's been stores in a box for a while.

What's your concern? I've a 9 year old carbon frame at home that's done at least 50-60,000 km in its life. Not the least bit worried about it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

2009/2010 Time and Pinarello carbon frames were lovely.
    I would have no hesitation buying, providing price was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I've bought NOS Colnagos and consider them to be the very best value versus performance my money can buy. My favourite one cost less than 1/3 of the original price but was brand new.You get to ride a bike that you couldn't afford when they first came to market. If you buy wisely you get to sell them after a few years and get your money back.Good luck trying that with a brand new to market bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 alstro

must be some shop if they can afford to leave carbon pinarellos in boxes for 5 years, waht do they stock on there shop floor if these didnt make it out of the box, this shop is not in ireland yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

Right then, OP here, I was in that bike shop last night for a peak at the stock he has, the only frame that took my fancy was a Time Edge VX, I'd say it's at least ten years old. Anyone here have an idea what I should be paying for this frame?

The owner said he will build it for me (Frame,Fork,Seat Post) with a mix of (all 10 speed) Ultegra shifters and brakes, Dura-Ace compact crank, rear and front mech + new alloy bars and stem and saddle. Mavic Aksium wheels. No price yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Hard to tell, the demand for retro carbon hasn't kicked off yet.
    I'd go €600 - €750 on the frame, they nearly go for that secondhand. The Pinarello could be worth more. You will most likely have no manufacturer warranty, worth checking.

Sounds like you could be getting something different at a good price point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

AmberGold wrote: »
    Hard to tell, the demand for retro carbon hasn't kicked off yet.
    I'd go €600 - €750 on the frame, they nearly go for that secondhand. The Pinarello could be worth more. You will most likely have no manufacturer warranty, worth checking.

Sounds like you could be getting something different at a good price point.

Warranty should be as normal, it comes into effect when the sale is made, no matter how long it has been in the shop.

Advertisement