Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panadol tablet in my blood

Options
  • 27-02-2015 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I just took 3 panadol tablets. I have to have a blood test next week. How long do these stay in my system?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

If you're healthy, the paracetamol should be out of your system in less than a day I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭manjosh

Just like when i take paracetamol during early malaria stages. The symptoms go away for sometime but show up maybe 12 hours time. So i guess it remained in my blood for about that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

janet1989 wrote: »
    I just took 3 panadol tablets. I have to have a blood test next week. How long do these stay in my system?

Just thinking, was this all in one hit? And these were paracetamol? That's pushing the dosage a bit.

You do know that at low doses these are super safe, but at big doses they are seriously dangerous.

Not having a go, just saying be careful, and if you need more pain killing use a different chemical - like ibuprofen, rather than over-doing the paracetamol.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You are probably OK ,
    IIRC for donating blood it's a week for painkillers, but things like asprin thin the blood so they may be different and of course painkillers could mask other symptoms.

MOD Just a reminder , no medial advice on boards.ie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

manjosh wrote: »
    Just like when i take paracetamol during early malaria stages. The symptoms go away for sometime but show up maybe 12 hours time. So i guess it remained in my blood for about that time.
    That's characteristic of malaria, cyclical symptoms as the lifecycle of the parasite progresses in your system. Paracetomol isn't going to be enough to beat those symptoms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Tree wrote: »
    That's characteristic of malaria, cyclical symptoms as the lifecycle of the parasite progresses in your system. Paracetomol isn't going to be enough to beat those symptoms

Except the typical cycle is either 48 or 72 hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

It depends on a variety of factors.

However, if we assume that it was just normal paracetamol, and not a timed-release dose. Then the half-life of paracetamol is 1-4hours. The general rule is that it takes 5 half-lives for a drug to be excreted (97%). therefore, you are looking at an excretion time of between 5hrs and 20hours.

Just out of curiosity, why are you worried about the presence of paracetamol in your blood sample?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

It depends on a variety of factors.

However, if we assume that it was just normal paracetamol, and not a timed-release dose. Then the half-life of paracetamol is 1-4hours. The general rule is that it takes 5 half-lives for a drug to be excreted (97%). therefore, you are looking at an excretion time of between 5hrs and 20hours.

Just out of curiosity, why are you worried about the presence of paracetamol in your blood sample?

Plus why are you getting a test to see if you have paracetomol in your blood?

Advertisement