Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board Gais Direct Debit issues

Options
  • 27-02-2015 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi,

Received a bill from Board Gais on Feb 4th for 880 euro. As it was rather high I decided to use their online payment option and pay EUR 500 towards that bill so I'd split the costs a little and they would only have to DD me for the balance of 380 euro at the normal due date for my bills, being the 18th. So I logged into my online account with them and made a 500 euro payment

2 Days later (Feb 6th) this payment showed up on my online account, and the balance showed 380 euro.

I was totally shocked to find the direct debit on Feb 18th had taken the entire bill amount of 880 euro. Rang up their customer services and the lady told me they used SEPA payments (of course they do, everyone in the EU now has to do so as it is mandatory) and because of that they had to send the file for Direct Debit to the bank 10 days in advance. Now that is total beloni, as I do Direct Debit our customers myself, and you can send a file today, and the DD will take place next day.

Then she told me I also had to ring them up and make mention of my 500 euro payment in advance. I was really flabbergasted. First of all their site does not state this, but just processes the payment, and adjusts the balance on your bill, and secondly, WHY do they offer payment online if they cannot handle it properly. This is just ripping of people and taking interest from their customers money.

I was really angry with them, and demanded for her to instigate an immediate refund of my 500 euro. She said that would take another 10 working days to go through. Again, beloni!! Sepa payments are made real time.

By this time I was so angry that I have reversed their direct debit so the 880 euro was back in my bank account the next day, and I have been taking screenshots of my online account with Board Gais every single day, inclusive of day and time, to have proof that up until today my bill still shows as paid, and actually overpaid, as they never reversed the 880 euro I took back, so now I have paid 1380 euro. I also wrote them a complaint on their online 'contact us' option. Guess what, still no answer, not even after reminding them.

Today I received the 500 euro refund from them. I immediately went online again, and still my online account showed that I overpaid them 500 euro.

I have revoked the DD mandate with them and have paid the bill today, online.

Now I want to know two things:

1) Where can I file a complaint, the ombudsman??
    2) If I am being cut off, will the print screens be enough to have a case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

1. You can complain to BG in the first instance. If the complaint goes unresolved you can escalate to the Commission for Energy Regulation.
    What are you going to file a complaint about? Just because you can send a SEPA file the same day doesn't mean BGs internal systems and procedures do. Anyhow BG have not refused to refund you and have told you it will take 10 days which is not an unreasonable amount of time (again just because SEPA works real-time doesn't mean BG's system do).

2. The screen prints is only evidence of latency in their billing systems, nothing more. It is not proof than your true balance is €1380. The SEPA transaction logs will show you reversing the €800 DD putting you back into arrears, the online payment logs will show you paying the full balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As pointed out, the internal processes in every company are different. Companies with large scale ERP and billing systems will typically generate DD files well in advance and then clear based on the bank return file. This is a complicated process and timing issues can occur.

SEPA files have to be presented at least 2 days in advance of the due date and can be presented up to 14 days in advance.

You can make complaints to BG, and upwards but I don't know what you're trying to resolve here. When you have a DD bill, it's always best to let it be paid in that manner. Making unplanned payments can mess it up, especially if close to the DD date.

If you have now paid, then you are in no danger of disconnection. However, BG may look for a deposit as they have lost the security of knowing you'll be paying by DD.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Christine LaDuchesse

slimjimmc wrote: »
    1. You can complain to BG in the first instance. If the complaint goes unresolved you can escalate to the Commission for Energy Regulation.
    What are you going to file a complaint about? Just because you can send a SEPA file the same day doesn't mean BGs internal systems and procedures do. Anyhow BG have not refused to refund you and have told you it will take 10 days which is not an unreasonable amount of time (again just because SEPA works real-time doesn't mean BG's system do).
    slimjimmc, I want to complaint as BG obviously are not capable of handling their online payment options. If they offer such, they should also make sure that the consequenses for the customer are clear. As stated, the lady told me I had to call them to make them aware of the fact that I had paid towards the bill, to split the costs for myself. This is not mentioned on the website when you do make a payment! So how was I supposed to know? Besides that, it is ridiculous that I have to call them to tell them, 'hey listen, I have made a payment, please do only DD the balance now', that is the world upside down. I am the customer, not them. I take a service of them, they have to provide good quality, effortless.
    Secondly, if you cannot handle real time payments, and adjust balances, hence DD, don't offer it! I have made a complaint at BG, twice, via their online 'contact us' option, just as I told in my original post. I have had NO response, not even when I reminded them. So apart from bad direct debit and online payment policies, they also have a very bad customer service, as when you submit this online 'contact us' form, it says that you will receive a response in 24 hours. 10 days refund is far too long in my opinion, as they can make same day payments via sepa.

2. The screen prints is only evidence of latency in their billing systems, nothing more. It is not proof than your true balance is €1380. The SEPA transaction logs will show you reversing the €800 DD putting you back into arrears, the online payment logs will show you paying the full balance.
    Oh really? So only the SEPA transaction logs will show me reversing the 880 DD and will do as evidence, but the moment I make a payment the online logs ARE evidence? Funny..... Can you explain me the difference? Cause if what you say is true, then I have paid 2200 euro now. Acoording to the website I ahve never been in arrears. Not my fault they can't do it properly

Only evidence of latency in their billing systems??? Nothing more?? It is MY money they fool around with. And their incapability of handling an online payment system as they should. If you don't see it that way, I expect you to also not worry when your bank 'forgets' to pay your mortgage for real, but still shows you a statement that they did.

dudara wrote: »
    As pointed out, the internal processes in every company are different. Companies with large scale ERP and billing systems will typically generate DD files well in advance and then clear based on the bank return file. This is a complicated process and timing issues can occur.

SEPA files have to be presented at least 2 days in advance of the due date and can be presented up to 14 days in advance.

You can make complaints to BG, and upwards but I don't know what you're trying to resolve here. When you have a DD bill, it's always best to let it be paid in that manner. Making unplanned payments can mess it up, especially if close to the DD date.

If you have now paid, then you are in no danger of disconnection. However, BG may look for a deposit as they have lost the security of knowing you'll be paying by DD.
    They already received deposits every single month, by DD. So whats the difference. And what I try to resolve?? See one post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Um no the direct debits every month were NOT deposits. They were what you owed. A deposit is an amount ABOVE that which you owe, which is held as security so that they know they will get their money for your usage.

• Advertisement

hdowney wrote: »
    Um no the direct debits every month were NOT deposits. They were what you owed. A deposit is an amount ABOVE that which you owe, which is held as security so that they know they will get their money for your usage.
    Oh really? Well, rest assured that is never going to happen. I'd rather change providers. I have never been, and will never be in arrears on any of my bills. But I also refuse to pay anything to anyone for something I have not received yet. If I had a bad credit rating, ok. But I have no such thing so don't see the purpose of paying deposits for the energy I consume.

Board Gais messed up. Not I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Oh really? Well, rest assured that is never going to happen. I'd rather change providers. I have never been, and will never be in arrears on any of my bills. But I also refuse to pay anything to anyone for something I have not received yet. If I had a bad credit rating, ok. But I have no such thing so don't see the purpose of paying deposits for the energy I consume.

Most energy suppliers will look for an indemnity deposit if you do not pay by DD. It has nothing to do with your credit rating.
    Making part payments on an account set up to be paid by DD will often cause problems.

Making part payments on an account set up to be paid by DD will often cause problems.

Once more, then they should not offer the option to make those payments in the first place!!

Unbelievable how I am the one being attacked here by people who blame me, for something Board Gais messes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

When did you send the original complaint? Generally it will have to go through BGs procedure before the Commission for Energy Regulation will consider it. As far as resolving it, it is an unusual situation, they genuinely may never have had a direct debit customer make an online payment.

Disconnection shouldn't be an issue unless you don't pay the bill. Screenshots won't make a case, as you cancelled the payment and direct debit, so your account will go into arrears.

kc90 wrote: »
    When did you send the original complaint? Generally it will have to go through BGs procedure before the Commission for Energy Regulation will consider it. As far as resolving it, it is an unusual situation, they genuinely may never have had a direct debit customer make an online payment.
    That is well possible. I do believe however, that as a customer I should have the freedom to pay when I like and when is most convenient for me, as long as it is before, or on, the due date. In this case that was in two steps, which was facilitated by the online payment option and the balance via DD, had all gone as should.

I have made the first complaint on February 18th. Never got an answer to my mail, only acknowledgement of reception and a promise for answer within 48 hours
    Disconnection shouldn't be an issue unless you don't pay the bill. Screenshots won't make a case, as you cancelled the payment and direct debit, so your account will go into arrears.
    Nothing is in arrears as I have the bill paid. Via the online payment option, that still showed that I had paid 1380 euro. If the 880 that I paid yesterday will be processed after the weekend, it will show a total of 2240 euro.

It's just a travesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I fail to see where anyone is attacking you. they are just giving you the facts.

and one simple fact is energy providers tend to expect an upfront deposit from customers who don't sign up to their direct debit facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I always pay 10/20 off my electricity bill every week and by the time I get the bill, there is usually a big chunk off it. But this is before the bill is issued, I don't normally pay anything once the bill has arrived. It is ridiculous that the bill amount is the DD amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

So in summary, Bord Gais processed their SEPA DD run based on customer account balances at a prescribed date.

You made a payment after that prescribed date. Their SEPA file wasn't updates to take this into account and they debited your account by the full amount.

Ok, i can understand your frustration but the simple solution is:

1. Recall your DD.
    2. Go to Bord Gais online payment facility and pay the balance (€380).

You are inconvenienced but that's the whole thing resolved.

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    So in summary, Bord Gais processed their SEPA DD run based on customer account balances at a prescribed date.

You made a payment after that prescribed date. Their SEPA file wasn't updates to take this into account and they debited your account by the full amount.

Ok, i can understand your frustration but the simple solution is:

1. Recall your DD.
    2. Go to Bord Gais online payment facility and pay the balance (€380).

You are inconvenienced but that's the whole thing resolved.
    Thanks for your advice, but all has been paid already. Last week. And guess what....... the website now shows me having paid 2260 euro's for that single 880 euro bill........ I actually should go by that and pay nothing untill all of that is balanced out with future bills. That'll teach them not to make such a mess

Glad to help you with your extremely complex consumer issue.

Let me know how you get on with your complaint to the CER. I'm sure they will give it their urgent attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Let's have constructive posts only please, leave the sarkiness at home.

Glad to help you with your extremely complex consumer issue.

Let me know how you get on with your complaint to the CER. I'm sure they will give it their urgent attention.

No need for sarcasm. See my anwer to your post above. Complaint has been filed.

My apologies. My sarcastic response was due to your original (before you edited it) dismissive/sarcastic response to my post.

My apologies. My sarcastic response was due to your original (before you edited it) dismissive/sarcastic response to my post.

I am sorry. Did not realize that would be picked up as sarcastic. I just replied in a big hurry, and decided to come back later to finish my post as I believe it to be impolite when people answer you and you do not respond fairly quickly.

I also believed you had not really read wel through the thread, as then you would have noticed that your suggestions had already been carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - if you want to a discussion between yourselves, then take it to PM. It's distracting from the OT.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭Degag

I would disagree. BG sent you a bill advising that 880e would be taken on x date from your bank account. You then decided to pay 500e yourself without notifying them. It is not their problem that you did this. You made an agreement to pay by DD and anything you did after this is your fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

In fairness, the window between when the direct debit request was sent to the bank and when the direct debit was due seems very long, but if that's what it is, that's what it is. It's applicable in all cases, not just this one being a case of singling out so I don't see how it would make for a valid complaint. It's not as if it was an individual mess-up by an advisor/wrong information.

Making a pre payment to a reduce a direct debit is always something that should be checked with the company first, because of the above risk - and because the pre payment itself could take a few days to hit the account also.

Advertisement