Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish system language support on smartphones

Options
  • 27-02-2015 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

Hello Everyone, I was reading a bit and one of the things I noticed about the Irish language on module devices is that there is no support.

* iOS 8: No Irish
    * Android 4/5: No Irish
    * Windows Phone: No Irish
    * BlackBerry OS 10.3.1: No Irish

But the first details of BlackBery OS 10.3.2 where just leaked out, and is seems to be that this next update will support native Irish language as system language, and spelling control.

Shown below
    sys.data.imf.ga_IE Irish

If this is indeed the case, I think it's the first OS that offers Irish support on a smartphone (as far as I can remember), which I think is cool.
    I don't know Irish at all, but I think it's good to have support for any (or try to) language, specially with the "next word" prediction on BlackBerry OS10 (see attached files), I know that most people don't know that BlackBerry even makes phones, but someone needs to start with Irish phones.. right? If one starts the rest will follow :)

So what do YOU think, should brands like Microsoft, Google and Apple start supporting the Irish language as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Firstly, and I'll be upfront about it: No, I think that's a stupid move. It's a waste of money, resources, and time. They shouldn't bother. It's the same way why other countries don't moan when they're not included. And if they're not included, there's a reason for it.

Samsung do/did offer the service on their 'Tocco', and the language leagues were chuffed, but it doesn't exist any more. Android have many Google Services in Irish, but that doesn't count.

The real answer is that there isn't much incentive to dedicate a language option on a device to a tongue spoken by so few people. I won't dare say 'dead language', but possibly a useless language. Most of those living in Irish language regions, with a smart phone, speak two languages, and mostly English. Why would this be an issue?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

There is some form of support for Irish on iOS. Not sure when it started, but it is on iPhone 6 running 8.1.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Nope. Not worth the effort. It's a dead language used on a daily basis by what, maybe a couple of thousand (?) people?

They would be mad to even think about it.
    Asmooh wrote: »
    So what do YOU think, should brands like Microsoft, Google and Apple start supporting the Irish language as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

You can buy Swiftkey, which has an Irish keyboard, if you want. Don't see the need for it to be included in the OS though,,,,,

Advertisement