Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conti MTB tyre swap/amnesty/change

• 26-02-2015 10:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭

ThinkBike in Rathmines are doing a Continental tyre amnesty.

The poster says that it's 30e + swap for your old conti tyres. I think the last Conti tyre amnesty was for any tyres. It looks like a bargain to me if you have old contis on your MTB.

Poster here, I can't embed - http://www.facebook.com/ThinkbikeDublin/photos/a.408382812021.182919.280850257021/10153165299432022/

[edit]As pointed out by Alek, it's MTB tyres only. 26", 27.5" and 29"[/edit]

MOVED FROM DEALS THREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

MTB tyres only, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

quozl wrote: »

The poster says that it's 30e + swap for your old conti tyres. I think the last Conti tyre amnesty was for any tyres. It looks like a bargain to me if you have old contis on your MTB.

Poster here, I can't embed - http://www.facebook.com/ThinkbikeDublin/photos/a.408382812021.182919.280850257021/10153165299432022/

[edit]As pointed out by Alek, it's MTB tyres only. 26", 27.5" and 29"[/edit]

Also, this is bit of a rip off actually!

This is the free tyre amnesty like last year. The tyres are free and the shop can charge for fitting them if they want, but a lot of shops last year didn't even charge, just asked you shop with them again.

So they're charging €30 for fitting - I'd go to one of the other shops taking part in this.

This is the free tyre amnesty like last year.

Do you have a link for this?

It would be quite bad on the TB side.

Alek wrote: »
    Do you have a link for this?

It would be quite bad on the TB side.

Here's the boards post from last year anyway: http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057214246

There doesn't seem to be anything on the Continental social media pages etc., but I've had a look around and I see other shops are charging too. So either it's a policy change from last year's amnesty, or the shops have just decided to start charging because they can.

I'm 99% sure that the shops get these for free, so maybe there was feedback last year that it cost money to fit them so shops wanted to charge now for time.

€30 still seems a bit much for labour, but good value for the tyres anyway.

If you're not living near Rathmines then there should be other shops offering this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

"This years sale isn't as good as last years giveaway oh no"

Still a bargain compared to normal. I don't blame a shop on covering its cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

quozl wrote: »
    The poster says that it's 30e + swap for your old conti tyres. I think the last Conti tyre amnesty was for any tyres.

Last year's was for any make but (IIRC) was only 23 and 25mm road tyres.

Somewhat ruins the "amnesty" gag if they're only forgiving the crime of buying their own tyres!

"This years sale isn't as good as last years giveaway oh no"

Still a bargain compared to normal. I don't blame a shop on covering its cost

LOL

There doesn't seem to be anything on the Continental social media pages
    This is the free tyre amnesty like last year.

Where did you get this info from then?
    I'm 99% sure that the shops get these for free
    this is bit of a rip off actually!

Well...

Where did you get this info from then?

It's called the Continental Tyre Amnesty again this year, so I'm comparing this year's amnesty to last year's amnesty.
    The shop I go to did it last year, and did it for free.

They told me they were doing the Conti Amnesty again this year, with no cost to them for the tyres (the same as last year).
    They never mentioned a charge to the consumer for tyres this year.

Well...

It's hard to pick up on tone from text, so I'm not quite sure what way you're saying well.

69 lost souls quoted "This years sale isn't as good as last years giveaway oh no", which kind of sums it up - this is a sale, rather than a tyre amnesty.

Considering a pair of these is €54, and they cut up your old tyres and keep them - unless the other tyres were completely useless, it's not the same value proposition as last year.

Like I said, I can't pick up on your tone, and perhaps what I said is being misinterpreted but I'm just pointing out that while yes this is a good offer in isolation - other bike shops will be doing it and not charging for it, so just to consider that.

Also, as 69 lost souls said correctly, I don't blame a shop covering it's costs - but since it's the bargain alerts, I though people might like to know that there will be a better offer along the way for someone who's cost of fitting tyres isn't €30.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

C-Shore wrote: »
    Also, as 69 lost souls said correctly, I don't blame a shop covering it's costs - but since it's the bargain alerts, I though people might like to know that there will be a better offer along the way for someone who's cost of fitting tyres isn't €30.

What other shops are offering it for free? Last years was a mess with most shops on their list not offering the amnesty at all, and several charging for the fitting (as was a condition of the amnesty last year, the bike shops could charge and by Contis rules had to take of the old tyres and put on the new ones). I think people forget those issues from last year, as well as the fact that some shops were (quite correctly) charging for the removal and fitting of the tyre. Admittedly, some shops were doing the common sense approach of, give us any two **** tyres and we will hand you the two World GT tour (or whatever they were called) tyres.

I certainly would not expect a shop to take time from a busy mechanic to remove and fit tyres for free, if the shop had a sign saying bring us any old sh*t tyres and we will hand you two new contis, that I would expect to be free under the amnesty. If anywhere is doing it I might pick two 10euro Maxxis and hand them in brand new sh8t tyres.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    What other shops are offering it for free?

Expert, which isn't too far away actually!

Last years was a mess with most shops on their list not offering the amnesty at all

I remember that! Some of the shops that had their supplies from the UK weren't even told they were nominated to do it!
    Several charging for the fitting (as was a condition of the amnesty last year, the bike shops could charge and by Contis rules had to take of the old tyres and put on the new ones).

Yeah, my shop didn't charge me for it. That's what I was saying in my other post, there seems to be some policy change on it.
    I think people forget those issues from last year, as well as the fact that some shops were (quite correctly) charging for the removal and fitting of the tyre. Admittedly, some shops were doing the common sense approach of, give us any two **** tyres and we will hand you the two World GT tour (or whatever they were called) tyres.

Yeah the Grand Sport Race - still have them on my bike actually, they're good tyres! I still think €30 is a high labour charge for what it is.
    I certainly would not expect a shop to take time from a busy mechanic to remove and fit tyres for free, if the shop had a sign saying bring us any old sh*t tyres and we will hand you two new contis, that I would expect to be free under the amnesty. If anywhere is doing it I might pick two 10euro Maxxis and hand them in brand new sh8t tyres.

Yeah I don't know why it has to be specifically Conti tyres to be brought in. It's a strange change from last year.

That's the thing though, I bet if you went to some shops and said it's grand, I'll fit them myself - they wouldn't be very happy about missing out on the €30 for 15 minutes of time it's taking away from the mechanic.

Advertisement