Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on a Commuter Build.

• 27-02-2015 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

I have decided to part ways with my trusty on one pompino single speed (soon to be listed on cycling adverts here, if anyone is interested, its a large!!). Last year I bought one of those cheap SAB frames from Planet X, and am now in the middle of building it up as a commuter for work. Using a mixure of whatever I have lying around, currently it has carbon forks, 36/46 compact cranks, ultegra 6600 front derailleur and 105 5600 rear derailleur, and a 12-25 cassette. I am using flat bars on it and am looking at which shifters to get - so far the option seems to be Tiagra 4600 10 speed shifters (can get them for an excellent price from Bike24). Anyone use these shifters or know anyone who has them - pros/cons, easy to set up etc. Also, the other question that springs to mind, considering i am using 36/46 chainrings - what length does the chain need to be? Will a short cage derailleur be ok or will i need to get a medium cage rd? Any comments/tips/advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Short derailleur will be fine. That setup requires a very low derailleur capacity. The difference between your front chain-rings is only 10 and typically it'd be 16 or 14. That's on top of a fairly tight ranged cassette. You're talking a maximum required capacity of 25 teeth, whereas with a compact double and a 12-28 on the back it'd be 32.

Length of the chain depends to an extent on the geometry of the bike. Easiest to get the chain and cut it to size when you have the bike in hand. You can wrap the chain around the large chain-ring and the largest sprocket on the cassette, then add 2 links of extra overlap and that'll be a fine size. Plenty of guides online on how to size it using that method or others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭27cyrix

a short cage derailleur should pair with cassette 11/28 11/25 or less
    i have a long cage 105 with 11/30.
    search your rear mech on shimano website, their manual should tell you that.

No idea about the chain length through, I just buy KMC X10/X9 chain and open youtube search for "size chain length".

Advertisement