Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone fish in the sea in winter?

Options
  • 27-02-2015 4:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26

hi lads,
    I don't have much experience on the sea/ocean - just moved from freshwaters last season.
    I really want to go for fishing for cod,pollock etc. Haven't been for about 3 months already..
    Is anyone fishing now in those cold days? Any chanced for these fish?
    Any recommendations? If so, where to go and what method to use? Re both shore and boat fishing..
    ps. I'm from Dublin..

regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Hey Mary

:P

I just recently started sea fishing, moving from fresh too. I've been down to the wexford and wicklow coasts and had some great days and also blanks, My best was 11 fish, 6 pin whiting 4 flats (flounder and dab) and a codling. Was well chuffed with that!

I'm told, cod, pollock, and flats are available at the moment. March and April will see movement of summer species coming in.

I'm still very much learning the sea and have fished very few marks so i'm still finding my way, but improving and have gotten a real taste for it.

I have just been off the beach, no boat outings yet.

With regards methods, I started using 2 and 3 hook flappers and then moved to clipped rigs, and as of yet have not caught a thing on a clipped down rig so I wont be clipping for a while!! My baits have been solely lug tipped with mackeral as I find I cannot get rag or crabs this time of year.

I also made a few errors along the way, one being hook sizes, I need to pay more attention to my rigs and target my fish more accurately - Unlike freshwater where a maggot on a small hook will catch a wide range of species, in the sea the rigs need to be more precise for your preferred target. Although the day I caught my 11 fish I caught them all on the same rig :D So go figure!!

I'm currently going nuts on lunar cycles to target my fishing times, because I am over an hr away from a beach, I'm picking my times now, going less often and getting better hauls for it but there is a hell of alot of research on this and sometimes I wonder would I just be better off on the beach with bait in the water than working out lunar rebound times!!

Anyway I have wandered off topic and ranted enough, if you fancy meeting up some day gimme a pm.

Ardinn

Advertisement