Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Solidworks part file into Alphacam (Mill)

Options
  • 27-02-2015 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

I'm having trouble getting an output nc for a Solidworks (2014 edition) part I'm importing into Alphacam (2011 edition)

I drag and drop it into alphacam and it's showing up fine, but the "output nc" selection is shaded out. What do I have to do get it to recognise the part?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I'm having trouble getting an output nc for a Solidworks (2014 edition) part I'm importing into Alphacam (2011 edition)

I drag and drop it into alphacam and it's showing up fine, but the "output nc" selection is shaded out. What do I have to do get it to recognise the part?

Thanks

Ummmm does the solidworks part show up in alphacam?

In alphacam you would normally set the material dimensions, rotate the imported part so it sits correctly. Then choose your desired tool, select operation (3d milling, roughing/finishing along path etc...). Once all this is done you should be able to export some sort of nc file.

Which alphacam licence have you got?

Have you tried exporting/importing the part as iges/step??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I dragged and dropped it in, it came up on screen - that would have been a part file. I tried saving it as a step file (ap203 and ap214) but neither would open in AC.

I was onto one of the lecturers and he's going to show me when he gets a chance, I meant to go messing with it in the meantime but sh*t happened!

Are you trying to machine a complex 3D surface or just a simple part outline?

If i'm doing a simple part outline in alphaCAM i often bring the part in as a DWG/DXF file and use the 2D to create the cutter path.

There's a few steps to generating the cutter paths, so best to get someone who is familiar to run over it with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

No, it's a 3d profile and is less than straight-forward!

I've been playing about with it in the meantime and keep getting a little further every time but still not there yet.

No, it's a 3d profile and is less than straight-forward!

I've been playing about with it in the meantime and keep getting a little further every time but still not there yet.

I was doing this the other day. You can import the solidworks model. Then on the 3d menu at the bottom there's a couple of options that are normally grey.

One will help you orient the model in 3d space. Then there's another which will extract features from the model and project them into 2d. You can use 3d solid machining or 3d surface machining.

For the outer profile or holes use the 2d features you extracted.

Alphacam isn't the easiest to navigate and very little info out there on it...

• Advertisement
Advertisement