Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A4 B6 Engine Swap (Petrol -> Diesel)

Options
  • 27-02-2015 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Can someone please help me, I have a 2003 Audi A4 B6 with a 1.6 Petrol engine and 5-speed box. Is it possible to just drop a new(er) 1.9 TDI engine and 6 speed box + Diesel pump etc. or do I need to do any structural modifications to make it fit? Also will I need a new ECU or will the old one suffice? Any help would be great thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Would you not just be better off selling the petrol one and buying a diesel one? They're common as muck and you'll have difficulty trying to insure it I'd say as it will also need an engineers report.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Buckley710

Its extremely hard to find a Clean B6 S-Line with less than 140,000 miles, and my car is only worth about 2,400€ leaving me with 1,600€ spending money on it. Was quoted 500€ for a 130,000 mile AHU engine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Buckley710 wrote: »
    Its extremely hard to find a Clean B6 S-Line with less than 140,000 miles, and my car is only worth about 2,400€ leaving me with 1,600€ spending money on it. Was quoted 500€ for a 130,000 mile AHU engine

And any Frankenstein car you'd be creating would hardly classify as 'clean' either. I wouldn't be against swapping an engine in a car, but not for the reasons you've listed.

I have experience in swapping engines as I have a track day car but all that work was swapping with the same engines. My car only has 125000 miles and the body is perfect and the only thing I dont like is the engine as I find it's a bit gutless at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

There is no such thing as S line in the B6, i think the 2004 onward 1.8T 190 quattro were S line and the are very thin on the ground.

The golden rule is never build what you can buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

It's not just the engine cost,

Tank,fuel lines,ancillaries like filters etc. clutch, possibly gearbox, ECU, dash clocks, throttle linkage fuel filler nozzle,

All of the above either must be, or should be changed out to do the job properly. The cost and work involved on a modern car is enormous.

Spend the time and buy a full car... Research and be patient and there are clean unabused ones to be found

I have two friends with B6 S-Lines, 2003 and a 2004. Both 130BHP diesel. Both factory S-Line models

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Buckley710 wrote: »
    I have two friends with B6 S-Lines, 2003 and a 2004. Both 130BHP diesel. Both factory S-Line models

What makes them S line ?

TrailerBob wrote: »

Tank,fuel lines,ancillaries like filters etc. clutch, possibly gearbox, ECU, dash clocks, throttle linkage fuel filler nozzle,

All of the above either must be, or should be changed out to do the job properly. The cost and work involved on a modern car is enormous.

Spend the time and buy a full car... Research and be patient and there are clean unabused ones to be found

Yeah its not really worth all that effort. I'll just have to start looking in England for one then. Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Not s lines.

• Advertisement

ShaunieVW wrote: »
    Not s lines.

Maybe they're just sport models, Im not too sure, Im not 100% with Audis, Im more of a VW man myself but the VW equivalent (Jetta/Bora)'s are't great. Sorry if im wrong but I thought they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

TrailerBob wrote: »

Tank, fuel lines, ancillaries like filters etc. clutch, possibly gearbox, ECU, dash clocks, throttle linkage fuel filler nozzle,...
    ... suspension - at least at the front axle, electrical installation for various bits and bobs like glow plugs, and many, many more items that you never take into account until you are at the task discovering one problem after another...

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

tossy wrote: »
    What makes them S line ?

I have a 04 tdi genuine factory s-line, they lauched the model from 2004 on with the GmBH exterior, sports suspension and sports seats and steering wheel. The 04 B6 GmBH were the first of the A4 s-line's

OP did you ever go ahead with the engine
    swap!??

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

2015 called and wants this thread back.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement